Hands free methods of camera Carrying ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I'm looking for a method of carrying a camera Hands free and ideally high up on my body ( my dogs have been known to kill cameras ). Something with fast access , What are your suggestions ?

There was a product called b-grip , it was like a belt , I don’t know if it’s still available. It also could be attached to a strap on a camera bag or rucksack

Depends on the camera/lens combo. I have an Olympus Messenger bag that actually goes around the waist and sits like a small bag on my hip, it's big enough for my E-M10 or E-M1 plus a smaller lens such as the 14-42, 25, or especially the pancake 14mm. There are chest clips and camera harnesses (RucPac do something in this vein, worth checking out). I also have a LowePro bumbag type thing that can also take the aforementioned Olympus cameras, obviously just one of them in each case at a time.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your ideas, The camera is a Sony a6000 with 90% of the time just the standard kit lens so not exactly large. I chose the Sony partly as it fitted the bill with regards to pric ( it may well get damaged), technical specs and the fact it had an EVF and also the fact it is quite small. Even with it's size I normally carry a small point and shoot unless I am deliberately going out with photography in mind ( quite a rare occurrence) This point and shoot although it still works was damaged when one of my dogs bounce into it, the auto lens cover no longer works.

Olympus Messenger bag
I like the idea of this Lindsey as it would also give the camera some protection from the elements and my wonderful dogs, I do normally have a leather case but this is in no way water proof so this sort of idea would work well. I see something when out and about and think what is down/up there so end up clambering about, because of this I need my hands free and also quite a lot of protection for the camera.

Again thanks everyone.

Have been watching some videos of hiking the Lakedistrict. One vlogger - Black Crag - carries a full size camera on the hip. Keep meaning to message and find out how its mounted.

Have been watching some videos of hiking the Lakedistrict. One vlogger - Black Crag - carries a full size camera on the hip. Keep meaning to message and find out how its mounted.

You can use the capture clip for that. it’s attached via a pad through the belt.

If you are doing that, i find it to be more secure to also use the PD leash across the shoulder as secondary safety.

Last edited:
I walk with poles and carry my camera on a chest strap.

Hello all,

I'm looking for a method of carrying a camera Hands free and ideally high up on my body ( my dogs have been known to kill cameras ). Something with fast access , What are your suggestions ?
Can't use a strap or anything that causes pressure on my neck, so I have used a Cotton Carrier for years. It is a little bulky, but holds your camera securely on your chest, especially with the auxiliary safety straps
Good luck

Another vote for the PD Capture Clip, really well made bit of kit.

I use a pair of Op/Tech Reporter Connectors on my backpack shoulder straps which connect to a Thinktank Digital Holster that houses my camera

So many of these carry-systems use the 1/4 inch thread socket on the bottom of the camera and I always wonder just how strong that little captive nut actually is. I carry my Nikon D810 plus a 80-400mm lens (total weight about 2.75kg) and use a Black Rabbit Breathe -- although I have just ordered a Peak Design Clip for when I go cycling -- and all seems fine, but there is always that nagging doubt about the strength of that little threaded mount.

I suppose I shouldn't wonder too much as before I retired, among other things, I was a Class 1 HGV driver and I was always amazed at the tiny (relatively speaking) kingpin that connected the trailer to the tractor unit. That little pin pulled up to 44 tons and was strong enough to withstand (so they say) 100g in the event of an accident, without shearing.

However, has anyone ever damaged the 1/4 inch thread in the bottom of the camera?

I used to see ads for an attachment that went on the strap of your rucksack. The camera clipped in to that.

I have no knowledge of which brand it was or if it was any good.

(ETA: I think the ads I used to see may have been for the PD Clip mentioned above)

I use a sling-type strap on all my cameras as I find it comfy. But they do tend to swing around if you're doing anything strenuous. They also don't really keep your camera up and out of the way.

Last edited:
They also don't really keep your camera up and out of the way.

The Black Rabbit Breathe does. It has a loop under the shoulder so you put your arm through that, that stops the sling from moving around on your shoulder. After that, there are two, easily slidable, fasteners, one in front, one at the back. The one at the front is the most useful, you just slide it down to where you want the camera to stay, and it does. Bend forward and the camera stays by your side (or at your back, as you decide) as the sling can't rotate around your shoulder. Then, when you want to have the camera accessible, you just move the front slider away from the camera (using the lifting clip, very easy) and then you can bring the camera up to to your eye as the camera mounting can now slide over the sling. It does bring me back to my post above (and on another, dedicated thread) in that the whole camera setup is dependent on how much you trust the tripod mount in the camera as that is how it is attached.

Have a look at a youtube video and it will all make sense (I hope).

However, has anyone ever damaged the 1/4 inch thread in the bottom of the camera?

Not seen damage to the thread itself but have seen the inserts pulled out. Pretty much anything can fail if enough force is applied!

So many of these carry-systems use the 1/4 inch thread socket on the bottom of the camera and I always wonder just how strong that little captive nut actually is. I carry my Nikon D810 plus a 80-400mm lens (total weight about 2.75kg) and use a Black Rabbit Breathe -- although I have just ordered a Peak Design Clip for when I go cycling -- and all seems fine, but there is always that nagging doubt about the strength of that little threaded mount.

I suppose I shouldn't wonder too much as before I retired, among other things, I was a Class 1 HGV driver and I was always amazed at the tiny (relatively speaking) kingpin that connected the trailer to the tractor unit. That little pin pulled up to 44 tons and was strong enough to withstand (so they say) 100g in the event of an accident, without shearing.

I have seen a tripod screw ripped out of an olympus some time back, also some battery grips have the screw mounted in fairly thin plastic? Seen a grip crack when dropped so personally I wouldn't trust it.
For the OP what about a short normal strap? Back in my rock scrambling days I used a short strap around my neck, and a clip-on strap around my chect to stop it swinging out. Worked a treat.

Hello all,

Pretty simple for me. I used to do a lot of pointing dog field trials and there was no really good way to carry my camera. Finally found a harness for carrying a pair of binoculars. Problem was the straps were elastic and the camera bounced all over. So, found me some 1" nylon straps and removed the elastic and replaced with nylon. Work's great!

Back