Has anybody gone back to their DSLR?

I hardly pick up my Canon equip now, but for formal shoots, I have so much invested on the equipment for the Canon system, I will use it for that....transported on wheels, of course.

I’m still running a number of systems tbh and have a arsenal of film cameras that I still own.
I recently sold my Canon eos M system but still own two mirrorless systems.
i recently went back to shooting with my older Dslrs only on the odd day here and there.
But I have been contemplating shooting with some film once again just for the hell of it.

I used to run a 6D & 7D2 with a number of L lenses plus a Sigma 150-600 Sport for wildlife.

I now have a pair of X-T2's and a range of their lenses (which are excellent by the way). I love using the X-T bodies, they remind me of my old film bodies in how they feel. The output is excellent, focus is fast enough, even with the 100-400 & 1.4TC and I love the output.

At least one body goes almost everywhere with me as I can get a body with 2 lenses and a couple batteries in a basic Billingham bag. I can't see me ever going back to a DSLR, although the D850 looks inviting. However, I think I would end up with a Fuji GFX if I was spending that sort of money.

I’m fortunate to have a D810 and an XT-2 that I bounce between, so I’m going back and forth constantly. I love the compactness of the Fuji but it’s not as intuitive to use as the Nikon, and I prefer the Nikon’s files (but it’s close). As such I pick whatever camera is going to be the best for the job in hand.

Sold my Nikon D7100 to get a GH3 and a GX7. The effect on my photos is amazing but I'm not sure why.

If a lot of us were not heavily invested in dslr glass then the decision to mirrorless is easy. IMO the IQ is good, AF is accurate, file formats are good, lenses mostly smaller and lighter.
Though I do not understand canons eos R that is almost as big as the 5Div with lenses as bigger as dslr !

I own sony NEX5R and have borrowed a friends Sony A6500 using my sigma mc-11 adapter to mount canon L glass, and I will say that the IQ is bloody good and sharper than my eos 7Dii using L glass.

I have mentioned in other threads that I am so impressed with A6500 I will buybits successor as my main camera. For every day use, travelling & holidays, city breaks etc.
The 7Dii will be used for sports, wildlife and air shows. Not that the A6500 can not do the tasks, I just would like to still go back to my 7Dii now and then for special occasions.
I have a lot of CF cards, 2x canon speedlites which I will still keep.

I have been on a few workshop course and almost all of the attendees cameras are dslr and tutor has the mirrorless.
Canon make is the most popular, and 7Dii be the most common canon. Then nikon with D7xxx, and D5xxx models.

The idea of keeping the DSLR for “something special” is an interesting one. I guess that’s why some of us have two systems (or more as stated in this thread)!

I was really glad to see the back of all my canon stuff & lenses,flashes,big bag,very happy with my X100F,LOVE IT.:)

The idea of keeping the DSLR for “something special” is an interesting one. I guess that’s why some of us have two systems (or more as stated in this thread)!
? i cant seem to get that Idea around my head. With the leaps in mirrorless tech the later years as I see it there is more to gain by keeping just one system and knowing that one well than by running to systems side by side knowing both less well, the used the least suffering the most.
Then again I might be wrong or at least seeing it way different

I've tried Fuji and Panasonic and while they were good cameras (with some quirks) the files were not to my taste. I'm sticking with DSLRs unless I'm forced to change but also because mirrorless cameras don't currently offer me any advantages. YMMV
Strange and yes indeed. I like the files from my Fuji's very much and find them easy to handle. I dont know if Capture One has something to do with that. YSMV :LOL:

If a lot of us were not heavily invested in dslr glass then the decision to mirrorless is easy. IMO the IQ is good, AF is accurate, file formats are good, lenses mostly smaller and lighter.
My mirrorless cameras do better with my SLR lenses than my DSLRs do. ;)

Yes, invested heavily in Sony kit, was a complete failure for me, just couldn't get on with it, now back to a Canon 5ds (Via Nikon) and much happier for it.

I am not criticising the Sony camera, it just wasn't for me.

I am hoping that Canon will at some point launch a more pro Mirrorless camera that is larger.

Hi, I gave my NIKON D70 and the D200 to my wife, when I got the OLYMPUS Pen EP-1, to have something lighter, and to adapt my Leica M mount lenses.

Went to SONY, because they had APS-C and a tilt-screen, buying NEX3 -> NEX5N -> NEX6 -> A7 -> A7R2. Was not happy when adapting Leica M mount
lenses to the A7 and the A7R2, so I bought a Leica M9, too, and SONY native lenses.

Being not satisfied with SONY AF performance for motorsport events, I bought a NIKON D800 and the NIKKOR 4/70-200 used.

So, I came back to NIKON for specific applications. For others I have SONY and Leica.

I am happy with my current equipment ... ---

? i cant seem to get that Idea around my head. With the leaps in mirrorless tech the later years as I see it there is more to gain by keeping just one system and knowing that one well than by running to systems side by side knowing both less well, the used the least suffering the most.

You make a fair point and I think that you are right that it may be difficult to use two different systems so better to become more familiar with one. However, when I do finally buy into a lighter mirrorless system, I expect it will have poorer performance for low noise and possibly lower Dynamic range than my DSLR. So I will be very tempted to keep my DSLR and use in these more difficult situations. However, I would hope that I will gradually manage without the DSLR eventually or will not be able to carry the heavy DSLR anyway.

Dave

I expect it will have poorer performance for low noise and possibly lower Dynamic range than my DSLR.
Then again, it might have lower noise and a wider dynamic range. The technology moves on.

I don't see how just because you bought a 2nd system it immediately means you know the 1st system less well.

I have been using Canon for over 10 years before I bought my Sony, I know the UI like the back of my hand. Change settings like ISO, and even focus points without looking at the screen. But when I got the Sony, the only system that i didn't know as much was the Sony. I still know the Canon like the back of my hand, the problem was getting used to the Sony UI, not the Canon UI.

The solution....customise the Sony to be like the Canon as much as possible. This might sound like "you might as well stick with the Canon then". Except the way I see it, don't see it as Canon UI, see it as "the way I like my cameras to function". I will set all cameras I buy the same way, so they work the same way. It just happens to be closest to Canon out of the box but the Sony can be too with some tweaking.

That's it.

You make a fair point and I think that you are right that it may be difficult to use two different systems so better to become more familiar with one. However, when I do finally buy into a lighter mirrorless system, I expect it will have poorer performance for low noise and possibly lower Dynamic range than my DSLR. So I will be very tempted to keep my DSLR and use in these more difficult situations. However, I would hope that I will gradually manage without the DSLR eventually or will not be able to carry the heavy DSLR anyway.

Dave
You mean APSC and M4/3 vs 24X36 sensorsizes not formfactor, right?

I don't see how just because you bought a 2nd system it immediately means you know the 1st system less well.

I have been using Canon for over 10 years before I bought my Sony, I know the UI like the back of my hand. Change settings like ISO, and even focus points without looking at the screen. But when I got the Sony, the only system that i didn't know as much was the Sony. I still know the Canon like the back of my hand, the problem was getting used to the Sony UI, not the Canon UI.

The solution....customise the Sony to be like the Canon as much as possible. This might sound like "you might as well stick with the Canon then". Except the way I see it, don't see it as Canon UI, see it as "the way I like my cameras to function". I will set all cameras I buy the same way, so they work the same way. It just happens to be closest to Canon out of the box but the Sony can be too with some tweaking.

That's it.
No not neccesary agreed but muscle memory does play a part and although you can offcource set one system up to mimic the other it may/could (not neccesarily do) compromize the functionally advantages that system has ? are really able to make them exactly act the same?

Went back to Fiji S5pro the other day to do some test shots comparing against my OMD-EM1 mkii. Have to say for such an old camera (in tech years) the af, viewfinder and film simulation are hard to beat with my OMD.

The difference in picture quality between them was not night and day neither.

No not neccesary agreed but muscle memory does play a part and although you can offcource set one system up to mimic the other it may/could (not neccesarily do) compromize the functionally advantages that system has ? are really able to make them exactly act the same?

Enough to get through a day's shoot without problems.

And I still know the Canon like the back of my hand, I don't lose that.

You dont use your sony enough :LOL:

I've only had it for 15 months vs 10 years with a Canon, give me a chance!

Actually, when i say 10 years....thats 10 years with the 5D, my first Canon camera was like 2002 from their compact, then 30D when that came out.

Last edited:
I have a mirrorless camera but it’s not a fair comparison to my DSLR; original EOS M compared to D750. The truth is I love my D750 as it’s simply a brilliant piece of equipment, coupled with my 35mm 1.4 it does everything I need it to. If I sold those I’m not sure i’d get the performance that I have now for the same money so I can’t see the point in swapping just yet.

That said though, I have been eyeing up an A7 coupled with the Zeiss 35mm as a replacement this week, just not sure if it’s a worthwhile swap. I do have a squandering fund so I could potentially buy them and see for myself but getting rid of that 35 1.4 is going to be hard :LOL: I know I can get the same lens for the Sony, but it’s just as big and heavy at which point why bother?

What would be nice is a pocketable full frame compact with a fixed 35 2.8, that would be under serious consideration if it was available :D

Last edited:
I have a mirrorless camera but it’s not a fair comparison to my DSLR; original EOS M compared to D750. The truth is I love my D750 as it’s simply a brilliant piece of equipment, coupled with my 35mm 1.4 it does everything I need it to. If I sold those I’m not sure i’d get the performance that I have now for the same money so I can’t see the point in swapping just yet.

That said though, I have been eyeing up an A7 coupled with the Zeiss 35mm as a replacement this week, just not sure if it’s a worthwhile swap. I do have a squandering fund so I could potentially buy them and see for myself but getting rid of that 35 1.4 is going to be hard :LOL: I know I can get the same lens for the Sony, but it’s just as big and heavy at which point why bother?

What would be nice is a pocketable full frame compact with a fixed 35 2.8, that would be under serious consideration if it was available :D

A73 with a Zeiss 35/2.8 is available....or a 35/2.0 compact in the RX1R?

A73 with a Zeiss 35/2.8 is available....or a 35/2.0 compact in the RX1R?

Both have very much been on my radar, the RX1 nearly got bought recently but doesn’t fill the criteria of fitting in my pocket :D The Zeiss 35 is the one I was looking at too for an A7

Have you seen this? https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx1

I believe there have been 2 updates since then.

Same as above, I love the idea of it, but if it needs to be outside a pocket it might as well be something larger, like the A7/Zeiss 35 :D

I’m massively open to the idea of both, just not sure what I would be looking at performance wise compared to my current D750/Sigma 35! What I really want is a digital comparison to my Contax T2 which is full frame, Zeiss 38mm 2.8 and pocketable :D

I’ve tried to build that in my EOS M and 22mm but even that won’t go in a pocket :LOL:

Last edited:
I still have my ancient 40D and lenses, but have not used them in years. though they are pretty much mint.

I would not dream of going back to clunky mirrors again.
I much prefer the convenience of an EVF and the instantly magnified view and, the WYSIWYG view of the world. I have never been bothered by the slight lag, which is pretty much imperceptible with my X T30. nor have I ever noyticed any flicker, and the focus speed is now for all intents instantaneous, and the continuous focus at least usable and practical at last.
No one is still putting the development effort into Dslr's any more, so they are getting left further and further behind.
Even advances in lens design are centered on Mirrorless.

However DSLR's are no worse than they have ever been and they will be in majority use for some years to come.

Both have very much been on my radar, the RX1 nearly got bought recently but doesn’t fill the criteria of fitting in my pocket :D The Zeiss 35 is the one I was looking at too for an A7

Same as above, I love the idea of it, but if it needs to be outside a pocket it might as well be something larger, like the A7/Zeiss 35 :D

I’m massively open to the idea of both, just not sure what I would be looking at performance wise compared to my current D750/Sigma 35! What I really want is a digital comparison to my Contax T2 which is full frame, Zeiss 38mm 2.8 and pocketable :D

I’ve tried to build that in my EOS M and 22mm but even that won’t go in a pocket :LOL:

If an RX1x wont fit in your pocket I don't think anything FF currently on the market will as it is AFAIK the smallest FF camera.

I've always fancied one but in reality I think it's only the EVF hump smaller than my A7 and I prefer the ability to change lenses if I want so I've never bought an RX1. Actually these cameras are too large for me for even a winter coat pocket (just my preference, others may be happy with something of that size and weight in a pocket, I'm just not) so they'll have to go in a small bag so I might as well have the lens swapping flexibility of the A7 at the expense of the small size and increase with the EVF hump.

And I still know the Canon like the back of my hand, I don't lose that.
I have my Canon 5D for 8 years, and my 20D with exactly the same UI for 3 before that, yet when I picked one up after using Fuji for 6 months everything about the Canon felt backwards. I even struggled to switch it on!

If an RX1x wont fit in your pocket I don't think anything FF currently on the market will as it is AFAIK the smallest FF camera.

I've always fancied one but in reality I think it's only the EVF hump smaller than my A7 and I prefer the ability to change lenses if I want so I've never bought an RX1. Actually these cameras are too large for me for even a winter coat pocket (just my preference, others may be happy with something of that size and weight in a pocket, I'm just not) so they'll have to go in a small bag so I might as well have the lens swapping flexibility of the A7 at the expense of the small size and increase with the EVF hump.

My conundrum exactly :D i'm just a fussy consumer wanting everything :LOL:

I have my Canon 5D for 8 years, and my 20D with exactly the same UI for 3 before that, yet when I picked one up after using Fuji for 6 months everything about the Canon felt backwards. I even struggled to switch it on!

Lol it can’t be that bad.

I did a bunch of weddings where I shot Sony in the day and then switched to Canon at night with flash.

Not really, I don't feel my old mid level Nikon did anything better then my A6000 or later A7/A7ii.

I did go back to Nikon pro film slr's amoung others and I went back to my Canon point and shoots.

I think it comes down to a need not being met for an individual. If you were pro body/glass Nikon or Canon shooter who moved to a Sony A7 or A9, I see cases for popping back for the great weather sealing.

Lol it can’t be that bad.

I did a bunch of weddings where I shot Sony in the day and then switched to Canon at night with flash.
Maybe if I kept using both it would have been different.

When most people go mirrorless and sell off their DSLR's and lenses I will hope to get a few bargains !

I sold them all in the past few weeks :p All except the trigger and CF cards.

89cs5h4.jpg

Back