Has anyone completed the Photography Institute online course?

Hey all, I have not long started the course myself. Now onto My second assignment. Would be great to share experiences and ideas with you all! How are you all getting on with it?

Just started my scuffed course. 1st assignment done. Going to do tje second one at the end of the month. Unfortuanately since signing up have been put onto a 7 day week at my full time job. Just as well there is no time constraints. Good luck to all doing the course.
ichard

Just had assignment 5 back marked and I got an A :) Couldn't be happier and I'm glad to get that assignment behind me lol

has anyone actually failed one of the modules yet or got lower than a B?

Ive been looking into these courses with a view to signing up to something soon but i want one that will push me not something that will just fly through the grades for the sake of it.

Hi all. my second post and echo the comments posted above. So, has there been any further updates from subscribers?
As before on the photography Institute thread,I'm also curious as to exactly what I would come out with assuming I get the right grades so to speak, is it nationally recognised or not?

Steve

has anyone actually failed one of the modules yet or got lower than a B?

Ive been looking into these courses with a view to signing up to something soon but i want one that will push me not something that will just fly through the grades for the sake of it.

I have been wondering that too but it may be a reflection on the type of person on this forum that is enrolling on the course....judging by the (generally high) quality of photographs posted on this forum, most people here have a good idea of what makes a good photo so I would be surprised if a low standard of work is turned in by forum members for an assignment.

Certainly, I would be very surprised if a forum member actually failed an assignment (although I may prove myself wrong in one or more of the five remaining assignments I have to complete!)

I've done this course which is often confused with the Photography Institute course:-

http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/become.htm

I'd recommend it in a flash - I learnt a lot from it and considering where I am now, it's done me no harm at all :)
Please help

Is the 'Institute of Professional Photography Diploma' any good, I've enrolled, however, I can return the course if I change my mind.

In my opinion you are asking how long a piece of string is ....
It depends what you want to achieve from it!
If its a miracle cure for your pocket, then the answer is NO
if want a reason to get off your bum, learn and better your skills as a photographer, then MAYBE, that will depend how much effort you put into it .... Could turn the answer from maybe to YES.
As with most distant learning, it's very easy to lose interest in it.
I'm a little bit less than halfway through it.

Hope that helps

Hi,

I have just enrolled. I also have Graham Light, is his advise good? What the best way to take the wedding pics ....if your not invited to a wedding?

In my opinion you are asking how long a piece of string is ....
It depends what you want to achieve from it!
If its a miracle cure for your pocket, then the answer is NO
if want a reason to get off your bum, learn and better your skills as a photographer, then MAYBE, that will depend how much effort you put into it .... Could turn the answer from maybe to YES.
As with most distant learning, it's very easy to lose interest in it.
I'm a little bit less than halfway through it.

Hope that helps
Thank you Pauly65, I agree you get out of it, what you put in.

I'm a beginner, do you still recommend this course?

Hey all, I have not long started the course myself. Now onto My second assignment. Would be great to share experiences and ideas with you all! How are you all getting on with it?
I've just completed module 2 .....keep in touch

Hi,

I have just enrolled. I also have Graham Light, is his advise good? What the best way to take the wedding pics ....if your not invited to a wedding?

I've had a chat with the local vicar but he has yet to set something up for me...may need to try another tack but not easy...

neilc1452 said:
Thank you Pauly65, I agree you get out of it, what you put in.

I'm a beginner, do you still recommend this course?

Your welcome
Yes I do recommend, if u work, have a family etc it will be a slow process but Keep plugging away and u will be well on ur way through it b4 u realise. I'm still enjoying it :)
My tutor is Mike Taylor, I get very good n sound feedback from him.

Good luck Niel

niv2 said:
I've had a chat with the local vicar but he has yet to set something up for me...may need to try another tack but not easy...

Ask when the nxt wedding will be - ask the photographer if u can help out for free or for some good advise & he can have ur images - so long as you don't get in the way he **** be willing.

According to the brief for module 14 you dont need to photograph an actual wedding just get some friends together and simulate a wedding scene outside the church

According to the brief for module 14 you don't need to photograph an actual wedding just get some friends together and simulate a wedding scene outside the church

And there is the problem....worried to ask friends to pose for wedding photos as you never quite know how good their relationship is...much less embarrassing to find a couple who are actually going to get married, hence my approach to the local vicar.

The easy solution is leave out the couple shot. Get a couple of your mates and submit a photo of groom on his own maybe black and white and colour pop the button hole flower. Use a pic of the groom with 3-4 mates as a grooms party waiting outside the church. Your mum or aunt as a shot of the brides mother then your dad and sister niece or whatever inside a car having arrived at church and the same 2 entering the church. It can be done without a bride and groom together shot. Or if you want a bride and groom shot surely a mate has a girlfriend even a sister. There dosent have to be a kiss shot so a brother and sister can work. Dont let finding a happily married couple or waiting on a wedding hold you back its about technically correct photos. Telling the story of what happens outside the church and through the essay describe how you dealt with the issues such as weather etc

I haven't had a chance to read through every post in here, but I wanted to throw in the option that if you don't want certification and just want reputable training, you could do a lot worse than lynda.com. I signed up to get help with learning a new programming language for work and was interested to see that they have numerous courses on photography and image manipulation. The courses are fantastic and cover everything from the basics to more advanced subjects. They also have well known photographers do guest courses. You can check out the course list on the website and see a few of the videos in each one for free. I've got a monthly subscription setup and have never regretted for a second. I've learned so much from that site.

How long have you been doing this course? I want to look into the various possibilities and there are quite a lot available, this one (thread topic) being by far the most documented.

Could do with a little help with the travel photography module. With the assignment, can I take photos of my city plus anywhere surrounding as it says my region or just the city itself??

Could do with a little help with the travel photography module. With the assignment, can I take photos of my city plus anywhere surrounding as it says my region or just the city itself??

You should ask your Tutor for guidance. However, I took a fairly broad view of the topic. I think if you give valid reasons why you included each photo you should be ok. My local town is quite small so I included the countryside around it. I think the whole reason for this topic is to try and portray the essence of one area.

niv2 said:
You should ask your Tutor for guidance. However, I took a fairly broad view of the topic. I think if you give valid reasons why you included each photo you should be ok. My local town is quite small so I included the countryside around it. I think the whole reason for this topic is to try and portray the essence of one area.

Thanks that's helped. I emailed my tutor yesterday and whilst waiting for his reply I thought I'd ask on here to see what people thought as my wife is due to give birth any day now and would really like to get this module out the way before she does :)

Thanks that's helped. I emailed my tutor yesterday and whilst waiting for his reply I thought I'd ask on here to see what people thought as my wife is due to give birth any day now and would really like to get this module out the way before she does :)

Did you go for the City or your local area? I too wondered this and was told that either is fine.

Amz said:
Did you go for the City or your local area? I too wondered this and was told that either is fine.

I have gone for both my city and local area. My tutor emailed me back and said I could use both and I had images in mind for both so that's what I used. Although it has all come to a halt for a short time as my wife gave birth last week and I never got to finish the assignment beforehand :)

Moorey said:
I have gone for both my city and local area. My tutor emailed me back and said I could use both and I had images in mind for both so that's what I used. Although it has all come to a halt for a short time as my wife gave birth last week and I never got to finish the assignment beforehand :)

Ah Wonderful, congratulations!!

I have opted for the outskirts of my city, just waiting on the weather to dry up before I venture out :)

Amz said:
Ah Wonderful, congratulations!!

I have opted for the outskirts of my city, just waiting on the weather to dry up before I venture out :)

Thanks :) He was born a week before his due date so I only got 2 out of the 3 shots I wanted and my third, I'm the same as you and just waiting for a decent day to get out and shoot what I need

Moorey said:
Thanks :) He was born a week before his due date so I only got 2 out of the 3 shots I wanted and my third, I'm the same as you and just waiting for a decent day to get out and shoot what I need

Yeah it's a shame the weather is so miserable at the moment, keep in touch and let me know how you get on with the assignment.

Amz said:
Yeah it's a shame the weather is so miserable at the moment, keep in touch and let me know how you get on with the assignment.

Yeah I will do. It's nice to meet someone who's on the same module as me! :)

Which course is best?

"Institute of professonal photography" or, "the photography institute"

both are very similar in price. but wanted to check if there is any difference between the two courses :shrug:

many thanks
GGF :help:

/Credit card is burning in my hand!

Well, it's worth signing up for this forum for this thread alone. I've been wanting to do a course, but have been dubious about online ones. Looking at this thread I feel a lot more confident in signing up.

Can anyone tell me what you need equipment wise please?

Hey, thanks for all the info posted on this thread. I'm new to the forum and like most people have said I've been looking into online photography courses for over a couple of years now and until i joined today i didn't no anyone who had done one before.

This has helped me make my mind up that i really want to do this course.

Can i just ask is there any assignments that involve family gatherings, people photos etc?
(Got a 1yr old birthday party to go to tomorrow at a cricket club i think)

If, so could you please give me a heads up on what the assignment is so i can get the photos i need for it tomorrow.

Cheers everyone

kirsty3407 said:
Hey, thanks for all the info posted on this thread. I'm new to the forum and like most people have said I've been looking into online photography courses for over a couple of years now and until i joined today i didn't no anyone who had done one before.

This has helped me make my mind up that i really want to do this course.

Can i just ask is there any assignments that involve family gatherings, people photos etc?
(Got a 1yr old birthday party to go to tomorrow at a cricket club i think)

If, so could you please give me a heads up on what the assignment is so i can get the photos i need for it tomorrow.

Cheers everyone

Hi Kirsty

There are portrait assignments etc but i would wait until you start the course to take the photos for it because of the different settings and criteria needed for each assignment.

When are you thinking of signing up?

iamshaunwood said:
Well, it's worth signing up for this forum for this thread alone. I've been wanting to do a course, but have been dubious about online ones. Looking at this thread I feel a lot more confident in signing up.

Can anyone tell me what you need equipment wise please?

I would say you don't need any fancy equipment, mainly just a DSLR at this stage :)

Hi Amy, gonna have a chat with the fella and see what he thinks and go from there really. Hopefully very soon, perfect time to start really while i'm out of work at the mo.

I'm really struggling with this one. I've always taken photos on holiday, but I just can't think of how to portray my own local area! I've a few ideas but not enough. Its very frustrating as I need to just get on with it!

Lyn,

Tell me, why would I come to your town, what is there to tempt me? I have always fancied a visit to NI but never understood what's on offer there.

(This is the question I asked myself and it worked for me, in fact I got a job out of it!)

Lyn,

Tell me, why would I come to your town, what is there to tempt me? I have always fancied a visit to NI but never understood what's on offer there.

(This is the question I asked myself and it worked for me, in fact I got a job out of it!)
The ironic thing is I'm actually a Blue Badge trained tour guide for Northern Ireland and years ago did a placement with the Irish Tourist Board on marketing Irish heritage towns.

I just seem to have hit a mental block with this one. Its getting it down to just a few images that I seem to have problems with. Thanks, I will have another think about it, from perspective of someone who has never been here. I suppose I'm thinking of 'towns' but can it be countryside too? (Eg I took an image from the top of a mountain on Monday - looking down over the Mourne mountains...)

Well done on getting work out of it!

Last edited:
Back