Has the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S started to ship yet?

This isn't making my choice any easier :LOL:

I'm after a 50mm and I'm having trouble deciding between the Sigma and Nikon.

Any do you have other lenses you could show them both next to? Something like the 24-70?

Pete

Wouldn't like to say - I think Canon does a 35 f/1.4 but I've never seen or used one.

In Nikon land, I personally prefer the 30mm f/1.4 to the Nikkor 35/2 but this will end up down to personal preference. I like to form my opinions via dual ownership.

If I shot DX, I'd choose the Sigma 30mm over the Nikkor 35/2 without hestition every time. The Nikkor 35/2 is very nice on the D700 and I'd happily shoot with that. I had a 35/2 until I got a 17-35 AF-S which made the 35/2 redundant.

Thanks for the info.

I recently got the Sigma 30mm at a bargain price from Amazon and it is comfortably my favourite lens. :)

This isn't making my choice any easier :LOL:

I'm after a 50mm and I'm having trouble deciding between the Sigma and Nikon.

Any do you have other lenses you could show them both next to? Something like the 24-70?

Pete

I've loaned my 24-70 this weekend, but here are a couple of other lenses for context:

DSC_2177-web.jpg

The 24-70 is quite a bit taller than the 17-35 if you've not seen one in the flesh.

I do like the compact size of the Nikkor 50mm, but tbh I don't find the size of the Sigma excessive - just surprising!

I reckon the Sigma is closer in size of the f/1.8 looking at that pic, the Sigma is about 5mm taller, and 15mm wider than the f/1.8.

I'm leaning more towards the Sigma now I think. OK it's significantly more expensive, and a lot bigger, but it does look to have the edge on IQ. It just wont be the walk around lens I was hoping. But then it will probably live on my D3 during a wedding, so the size isn't an issue then.

Pete

I'm leaning more towards the Sigma now I think. OK it's significantly more expensive, and a lot bigger, but it does look to have the edge on IQ. It just wont be the walk around lens I was hoping. But then it will probably live on my D3 during a wedding, so the size isn't an issue then.

Pete

Here you go, both mounted on the D700:

DSC_0385-web.jpg

DSC_0383-web.jpg

Andy - something to test. The Sigma 50 has quite a following over at DWF and a fair few people are buying them over EF 50L's - on some Canon bodies it sometimes (not always) 'flip-flops' the AF (they describe this as hunting in good light and centre AF point with moving subjects). Not seen any reports of it happening on Nikons. so I suspect it's pretty rare.

Hi

I wasn't ignoring this part of your post - I hadn't tested it.

Now I have - the Sigma 50mm is just superb at tracking moving subjects.

Here are a couple of quick tests I shot about an hour ago, tracking moving ice skaters WIDE OPEN with an outer AF point (how that for a torture test!)

DSC_0388-web.jpg

Straight OOC, just resize

DSC_2217-web.jpg

DSC_2220-web.jpg

No AF problems at all :)

I bloody love this lens, its got me doing night wanderings again :)

"Beetlebum?"

DSC_2243-web.jpg

"Its leaves me like this chap - speechless!"

DSC_2234-web.jpg

"Mario at the Sausage Store"

DSC_2245-web.jpg

I've not shot anything with it apart from f/1.4 yet :)

The Sigma certainly looks pretty good! A 50mm for me is just a small lens to sling in the bag when out with the big glass mainly, so something small and compact wins out. Looks most impressive though!!

Lovely shots there Andy, thanks for taking the time to post them. :)

Where did you get yours from btw? I'm tempted to order one from WHE for delivery on Tuesday... :thinking:

Lovely shots there Andy, thanks for taking the time to post them. :)

Where did you get yours from btw? I'm tempted to order one from WHE for delivery on Tuesday... :thinking:

I got mine used from here actually:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=98360

WHE seems about the cheapest otherwise from what I've seen.

Mine is a definate keeper, I was shooting some "landscape-y" type shots yesterday and the wide open infinity resolution is just rediculous, I had to keep checking I wasn't shoot at f/5.6 tbh. You can take a picture of, say a church from 50 yards away wide open, and still read the sign on the door.

Looks like the Sigma is the choice for me, now I just have to convince the missus that it only costs me £50 :)

Just for fun, here is the Sigma 30mm on my D700 (not in DX crop mode)

3127247943_d70f3edd24_o.jpg

Some vignetting, but it covers quite a bit over the DX frame

I'd normally have the 28mm AI-S on the D700, and vice versa!

This thread was the last thing I really needed to read! Well, it is christmas and I should treat myself to a new present. Does anyone want to buy a 50mm f1.8 to put towards my my 50mm f1.4 fund? :)

Welly, don't delay, do it, I love mine! I have just been away on holiday for 4 days and it hardly left my D300.

Just for fun, here is the Sigma 30mm on my D700 (not in DX crop mode)

3127247943_d70f3edd24_o.jpg

Some vignetting, but it covers quite a bit over the DX frame

I'd normally have the 28mm AI-S on the D700, and vice versa!

It looks like you could almost crop an 8x10 out of that without a vignette.

I reckon it would work well on the D3 in 5:4 mode no problem :)

Sigma 30mm, no DX crop:

DSC_2261-Sigma30mm-nocrop.jpg

Sigma 30mm, DX crop mode:

DSC_2261-Sigma30mm-DX-crop.jpg

Sigma 30mm, cropped to about 5:4 in FX mode:

DSC_2261-Sigma30mm-5-4-crop.jpg

(opened in ACR, vignetting control to 100%, cropped manually to 3515x2247 = 7.8 megapixels)

Sigma 30mm or 50mm in those last shots Andy? Just wanted to check if it was a typo or not...

Sigma 30mm.. this thread has gone off on a bit of tangent :)

I was quite tempted to try a bokeh comparision between the 50mm and 30mm with both on the D700 :)

Thats what I was thinking, looks like the vignette is just inside the 8x10 crop although in that image it's off center :thinking:

The vignetting isn't exactly symmetrical for some reason and I just did a quick crop. Its very close to 8 megapixels vs 5.1 for DX crop mode.

The Sigma 30mm is surprisingly usable on the D700 though - to be honest this lens is crying out to be revised into a full frame version.

I was planning to sell all my DX gear and my 30mm f/1.4 but I'm kinda tempted to hold onto it.

Yeah I'm tempted to get one based on how little needs cropping with it.

It would be possible to come up with a Lightroom or ACR preset or an Capture NX edit step, to deal with this lens quite nicely.

Loving the sigma so far, focuses quickly produces lovely bokeh (I'm coming from 50mm and 85mm f1.8 nikon lenses).

Back