Beginner Have I bought a dud camera or lens?

Name
Rikki
Edit My Images
Yes
looking for some advice.

I bought the wife a used 60D on eBay to see if she will like photography.

The camera and lens arrived yesterday (yongnuo 50mm f1.8).

opened it up to test it out and when trying to take a photo the flash goes off but the error ‘Err 01 communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts’

now I bought a few other lens from other sellers and when they are on they seem to work fine.

is the lens faulty? Or should I be wary about the actual camera?

thanks

Is it anything to do with it being a manual focus lens?
Not familiar with either camera or lens, but perhaps a setting or two needs changing

That lens is notorious for the auto focus failing, it's a plastic lens and there is a small plastic gear wheel inside which, due to poor quality, strips the teeth.

the lens as other said. get the canon 50mm 1.8 stm one

I appreciate the speedy reply’s folks and it is the answer I was hoping for.

The test would be to see if it'll focus manually?

To clean the contacts btw use a pencil eraser but point the camera down when doing, you do not want bits of rubber dropping inside.

That lens has known issues, and I can’t understand why anyone would buy one.

a S/H canon 1.8 is similar money and the newer STM is better in every way and costs less than £100.

Why would anyone take a chance to save a few quid?

Probably because they don't know it has known issues.
Even without the issues, it’s not a worthwhile saving. It’s a substandard copy of a lens that costs the same s/h and only £30 less than a vastly superior lens.

Ebay is fine as a marketplace if you are confident in what you are buying but it is better and safer to buy second hand gear initially from proven second hand sellers like ffordes or mpb. At least with them you will get a guarantee. Something to think about for future purchases.

Before buying a new 50mm have a look at the Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens and see what you think of that. It looks a bit odd but I've found its a cracking little lens and a bit wider than a 50mm too, which might be handy on a crop frame camera?

Do a quick test. First see if it auto focuses, secondly see if it gives the same error when not using flash. If you only get it with flash it's probably the aperture not working properly.

Back