Have you heard about Casey and the bully?

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2011/03/casey-haynes-bullied-school-kid-body-slams-tormentor/

There is loads of links/videos/groups about Casey (the boy who was being bullied and stood up for himself). The video keeps being taken off youtube and groups being closed on facebook, but there is lots of support for him and his actions.

The bully (richard I believe) was suspended for 20 odd days and had a broken ankle (not sure if there were more injuries).

Casey was suspended for 4 days and there its lot of uproar about this and people have found out which school it is and emailed the principal

He is also being referred to as Zangief (wrestler character from the game Street Fighter 2), so check out various videos on youtube.

I say 10/10 for standing up for himself.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...er-fighting-back/story-e6freuzi-1226022076411

According to that the ankle wasn't broken (has also been suggested that the knee was dislocated) and the worst of the injuries was a grazed knee and an obliterated reputation.

Smaller kid got what was coming to him.

Of course Casey should have been suspended for his part in it, he was violent towards another student after all.
The longer suspension for the other kid is also clearly deserved.

Well played Casey. Well played indeed.

p.s Check out EncyclopaediaDramatica for an "enhanced" retelling of the story. :D

Of course Casey should have been suspended for his part in it

So like most bullied kids he should just take a few punches and not defend himself?
I think the school got it wrong suspending him, bullied kids will see this video and be even more scared of making a stand for themselves.

Last edited:
Tricky situation; is violence ever condonable? I'm not sure I can decide. :thinking:

So like most bullied kids he should just take a few punches and not defend himself?
I think the school got it wrong suspending him, bullied kids will see this video and be even more scared of making a stand for themselves.

Of course he should defend himself, however the school cannot be seen to promote violence, regardless of the situation.

I can certainly understand your point of kids being afraid of standing up for themselves.
It's a catch 22 for those on the receiving end of bullying, I've been there myself and the fear of punishment meant that I sat there and took it for years.
If I had had the balls to stand up for myself early on and accept the short term consequences, I've no doubt that my longer term school life would have been a damn sight better (or at least less eventful).

It's also a catch 22 for the school though. They can't be seen to be promoting violence in any form but they also can't be seen to be letting bullies get away with it.
Unfortunately there's a certain amount of bottom-covering they have to deal with.

I think/hope that the message kids get about Casey standing up for himself will greatly outweigh the message that he was punished as a result, and I believe the amount of support he has received online supports this.

Of course he should defend himself, however the school cannot be seen to promote violence, regardless of the situation.

I can certainly understand your point of kids being afraid of standing up for themselves.
It's a catch 22 for those on the receiving end of bullying, I've been there myself and the fear of punishment meant that I sat there and took it for years.
If I had had the balls to stand up for myself early on and accept the short term consequences, I've no doubt that my longer term school life would have been a damn sight better (or at least less eventful).

It's also a catch 22 for the school though. They can't be seen to be promoting violence in any form but they also can't be seen to be letting bullies get away with it.
Unfortunately there's a certain amount of bottom-covering they have to deal with.

I think/hope that the message kids get about Casey standing up for himself will greatly outweigh the message that he was punished as a result, and I believe the amount of support he has received online supports this.

Agree 100% I got bullied at senior school from the very first day. The fear of me being punished played a part in me not defending myself, which I knew I very much I could. ( Captain of a UK karate Junior team) It took 5 years before it got too much and the main bully kid got exactly what he deserved for all those years of torment. I got *******ed, he got sent to hospital and the whole thing was over. Should have done it in the first place.

Just saw this on another forum.

Sing to the tune of The Fresh Prince of Bell Air. Google it if you dont know it.

Now this is the story all about how
This fat kid flipped me upside down
Now Id like to take a minute, just sit right there
Ill tell you how I broke my knee from being thrown through the air.

Somewhere Down Under, born and raised.
In the playground is where I spent most of my days.
Punching and slappin', breakin the rules
When I come across this fat kid somewhere in the school.
We were a couple of guys, we were up to no good.
Started making trouble just because we could.
But I got in one little fight, my knee's now sore
Because the fat kid I bullied superplexed me to the floor

the school cannot be seen to promote violence, regardless of the situation

I totally agree but they could have taken lesser action, a good old fashioned telling off, detention or put or report (if such a thing still exists) rather than suspend him for a few days.

the school cannot be seen to promote violence, regardless of the situation

I totally agree but they could have taken lesser action, a good old fashioned telling off, detention or put or report (if such a thing still exists) rather than suspend him for a few days.

Just saw this on another forum.

Sing to the tune of The Fresh Prince of Bell Air. Google it if you dont know it.

That is brilliant :clap:

And well done to Casey for standing up for himself, what a body slam! :)

he acted in self defence , well done

i was bullied as a child at school , did the right thing and told the teachers , except i got another kick - in for doing that so all my life at school i got bullied

my best experience in life infact was getting bullied it taught me alot about this world . about people and about life it made me stronger

although i was a doorman i use to love to see the bullys face's when i use to thrown them out becuase of what they did , some may see that as me been a bully , but i dont i went through alot and i did think that i was better of not been here at the time but glad i was strong enough to get through it

well done to that lad

Well done Casey - violence in this instance was totally justifiable

Agree. Maybe if the school had done its job properly then the bullying would not have taken place. School is well out of order here.

When I was 11 and started senior school the first day I got my dinner money nicked by a 13 year old who was about a foot taller than me

Similar things had happened until the 4th year when he was 16 and I was 14

I was walking home with a friend when this same kid came up behind me and started kicking my ankle trying to trip me up, he did it about 3 times , the 4th time I turned and punched him straight in the face, blood everywhere, he fell back into a hedge and I got on top of him with a few more punches until a friend dragged me off.

He went home battered and never came near me again,that was in 1975 and it's the last time I ever hit anyone

This kid has been pushed and pushed until he finally snapped like I did

The only thing that stops a bully is a smack in the face, end of

Agree. Maybe if the school had done its job properly then the bullying would not have taken place. School is well out of order here.

The problem is the school were probably not even aware of it.

When you get bullied you don't tell anyone. Even less likely if you are being bullied because of your appearance, or background, or something else very personal to you.

If the school say anything to the bully, who do you think the bully will take it out on. That's right, their victim. I know this from experience.

I was bullied at school for a long time, on more than one occasion I had to be taken home because of injuries. I told the school, they took action against the bully, I felt the brunt of it at a later date. It stopped when I took action - action which I know caused at least 1 broken rib and a massive bruised ego ('Falling' into a ditch full of muddy water at the hands of your victim will do that).

I fully understand where Casey is coming from here - and I don't think it was OTT or unjustified. I can't say for certain - but I would hazard a guess that people who do think it is OTT have never been a victim of violent bullying.

Fight violence with violence ....... Only way out..... unfortunately!

TriggerHappy said:
Tricky situation; is violence ever condonable? I'm not sure I can decide. :thinking:

Ask yourself the question..... have you ever been bullied ?

wack61 said:
When I was 11 and started senior school the first day I got my dinner money nicked by a 13 year old who was about a foot taller than me

Similar things had happened until the 4th year when he was 16 and I was 14

I was walking home with a friend when this same kid came up behind me and started kicking my ankle trying to trip me up, he did it about 3 times , the 4th time I turned and punched him straight in the face, blood everywhere, he fell back into a hedge and I got on top of him with a few more punches until a friend dragged me off.

He went home battered and never came near me again,that was in 1975 and it's the last time I ever hit anyone

Totally agree ,I was in same situation ,with the same end result .
If you noticed in the video ,the victim was on his own and the little **** throwing the punches had backup ,in my view the little git git off lightly .

Ask yourself the question..... have you ever been bullied ?

No, I haven't. In school I was always one of the shortest boys in my year and as such that probably made me a target for the school bullies and there were a couple of occasions over the years where they insulted or tried to intimidate me but I always stood up for myself and had comebacks that put them down instead. These were always isolated incidents and I never had trouble twice off the same person.

There was one occasion when on the football pitch at lunch where I was pushed over by a bully in the year above. Shortly after that the ball was coming to him about knee height and I took an almighty swing at it from behind him, following right through with my full body weight at running pace. It took him out at the knees and despite him being about 6" taller than me and considerably heavier he dropped to the ground like a stone, landed on his coccyx and couldn't stand for several minutes, much to the enjoyment of the other kids.

Was responding like that the right way to go about it? I don't know, but it was certainly effective and he even attempted to make friends with me after.

My experience of schools dealing with bullies says that they just can't stop it themselves. Even when they're made aware of the problem, which they rarely are, they act incredibly softly towards the bully and nothing ever changes.

Perhaps if a punch in retaliation is that effective schools should teach that the best response to being bullied is to fight back as part of their anti-bullies strategy.

As an aside, the 4 day suspension is hardly a punishment. Give a kid 4 days off school and what are they going to do? A) Sit in their room, focusing on the work they're missing and thinking about what they've done or B) Have a lie in, watch daytime tv/films, play on their consoles, ride their bike etc. It's the most ineffective punishment a school could ever give and the fact they regard it as the 2nd most extreme punishment (expulsion being the worst) is a joke.

I never quite understood suspension as a punishment..
"Here, take a week of from the place you hate coming too, do what the hell you like and then come back and do something else to get another suspension"

There was a kid in my senior school who was pretty much suspended for the whole year. They couldn't figure out why he was always so naughty when he came back from each weeks suspension... :bonk:

That's exactly what i think about it. It's pointless going to a teacher as they do nothing about it, apart from have a "chat" with the bully, then it gets worse.

The only way to deal with a bully is to give him/her a proper hiding, they'll think before they bully the next person.

I don't think anyone who's ever been bullied has anything but praise for Casey.
I'm genuinely dissappointed he didn't do the little git some proper damage.

I never got bullied at school BUT I did stand up for a few that where bullied, I got into alot of fights at school because people did try to bully me but I always stood up for my self.
I got alot of beatings too mind, I never won all the fights, but I never had a fight with the same person twice, I either became really good friends with the person or we ignored each other as they knew I would not just bow down to them no matter who they where.

I got the cane a few times for fighting, did it stop me?? no why?? because I was always told (off my father) never let anyone get the better of you no matter what.

Has it made me a bad person, all the fighting and caning?? no The last time I seriously hit anyone I was 19 and a bit worse for ware (drink) never been in trouble and live a good life.

As for the Caseys of this world, I would say, do what he did the first day, stand up for yourself because no one else will, the schools the parents No one. The trouble you will get into will be alot less than the tourment you will receive.

spike

Casey can have a couple of days off the reflect in what he did, then go back to a heroes welcome at school, apparently the bullies mother is demanding an apology, maybe Casey's mom should give her some of the same.?
The kid filming the episode sure got more than he expected, is he being punished as an accomplice of the bully.?

I am the eldest of 5 brothers, we've all been taught the same thing "if anyone bullies you, smack the **** out of them and they won't do it again!"

We have had 3 of the younger brothers bullied, my mum told the teachers about and advised them that she had told them to fight back and having older brothers they could.

One snapped and broke the bullies nose, weeks suspension although the headmaster said that it was what the bully deserved, and in the second case, he wouldn't stand up for himself, so the brothers did. Put an end to the bully but he then moved to the secondary school we went too so it was no longer an issue.

You break the rules, even if its for the right reasons, you've still got to take the punishment.

No time for bullies. Casey should have done him properly. Maybe one day he will.

Back