Havergate Island Brown Hares

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I've booked a trip to see the Brown Hares at Havergate Island near Orford, Suffolk in a few weeks time and I'm wondering what to expect as I've never been before. Can anyone let me know what to expect, what is it like, how close are you likely to get and what equipment would be good to take? I've got a 300mm f4 lens that I've used with a 1.4tc before for hares and found it to be a good length.

Also are there any nice places for landscapes nearby too, I know there is a lighthouse at Orford Ness which could make a great subject for long exposures. Any help would be very appreciated, thanks.

I've booked a trip to see the Brown Hares at Havergate Island near Orford, Suffolk in a few weeks time and I'm wondering what to expect as I've never been before. Can anyone let me know what to expect, what is it like, how close are you likely to get and what equipment would be good to take? I've got a 300mm f4 lens that I've used with a 1.4tc before for hares and found it to be a good length.

Also are there any nice places for landscapes nearby too, I know there is a lighthouse at Orford Ness which could make a great subject for long exposures. Any help would be very appreciated, thanks.

Spring watch did a small piece on it - If you missed it you can see it here

at 13 minutes - Let me know how you get on - hope tp see some good photos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s1psf/Countryfile_Suffolk/

Regards

Mike

Spring watch did a small piece on it - If you missed it you can see it here

at 13 minutes - Let me know how you get on - hope tp see some good photos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s1psf/Countryfile_Suffolk/

Regards

Mike

Thanks I was there for a day the last two weekends. I was told about the Countryfile piece whilst on the island and watched it Sunday evening. The island is very small with only two small areas where the hares mainly live.

Brown Hare by Rob'81, on Flickr

Brown Hare- Havergate Island by Rob'81, on Flickr

Havergate Hare by Rob'81, on Flickr

Brown Hare Reflection by Rob'81, on Flickr

There is not just Hares, the island is home to hundreds of gulls.

Havergate Gull by Rob'81, on Flickr

A stunning set of images Rob.
We have a busy year, but I think I will try a fit a visit in, if not it's definitely on the list for next year.

Those are great pictures of hares!

Hares seem to have such character in their faces.

Is Havergate a particularly good place to photograph hares? Any reason why that should be?

Its an island off Suffolk that has very limited access. The RSPB own it and only allow people there very occasionally. There is also hardly any predators too, except a fox that swims across. The hares are not really too bothered about people so you can closer than normal. Most hares I've found on the mainland are more wary of people and run off straight away. The real problem with photographing them is the area they inhabit is very small, and mostly shingle beach and gorse bushes. You are limited by this environment in some ways but you can get really close, within 4-5 metres in most cases.

Its an island off Suffolk that has very limited access. The RSPB own it and only allow people there very occasionally. There is also hardly any predators too, except a fox that swims across. The hares are not really too bothered about people so you can closer than normal. Most hares I've found on the mainland are more wary of people and run off straight away. The real problem with photographing them is the area they inhabit is very small, and mostly shingle beach and gorse bushes. You are limited by this environment in some ways but you can get really close, within 4-5 metres in most cases.

Thanks rob. I'll file that away in the memory banks for future reference!

Interesting that those brown hare's have eyes that look a bit different from the hares I photographed here on the Isle of Wight. These two (or it could be the same one twice - I did see two at once!) didn't put their ears down once and didn't come too close.

Hare 883 by BuzzleCup, on Flickr

Hare by BuzzleCup, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back