HDEW or Panamoz

Have just ordered a Nikon D810 body from Panamoz at a saving of over £800 compared to a UK supplier. Not my first order from them and probably not my last.

I had a problem with an omd em5 which I bought from Panamoz and under their warranty I had to send it to Olympus in Portugal and pay for the repair myself. Then had to send a copy of the invoice to Panamoz and they paid for the repair and postage costs within 24 hours. Can't complain other than having to pay for the repair costs first. I prefer HDEW as they use Johnstones in Glasgow.

The Nikon D810 body that I ordered from Panamoz on Friday morning has been delivered today - that's effectively next working day delivery. Quite incredible. All looks good with the body.

Am i missing some special button somewhere on Panamoz because they dont seem all that cheap to me. Just looked at the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens and they want £190.00 and i can think of a hell of a lot of better places to get it cheaper.

Panamoz warranty is transferable, which is certainly a big bonus if you come to sell the equipment on.

I'm guessing it's a typo, you can get it from HDEW for £119. Though Amazon is not much more.

I'm guessing it must be then as the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II and the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G are £190.00 too

Im looking at ordering a Nikon D750 next week from HDEW, Can I ask how they are so cheap (compared to jessops etc) Is there anything to watch out for?

Thank you
Mick

Camera bought from Hdew and lens bought from Panamoz, both offered excellent service.

Chopsie....the reason they are so cheap is because the companies are sending them to you without paying any taxes on them, on the very rare occassion when they do get stopped at customs and taxes applied, they will pay those taxes.
When you recieve your lovely D750 if you look at the customs declaration on the box you will notice it is marked up as photographic equipment and someone has usually forgotten to add one of the zeroes on the value.

Ok thank you, so they are legit, just not playing the game there end?
So potentially a saving of £700

Ok thank you, so they are legit, just not playing the game there end?
So potentially a saving of £700

To clarify, HDEW are not importing the camera equipment to you and they will, if asked, provide you with a VAT receipt so they are not exactly the same as the 'Hong Kong' suppliers :)

So Gramps, are we saying that HDEW actually pay the required taxes yet still manage to sell the cameras so cheap (would have to be at a loss). Or do they perhaps do the same as the others, and provide documentation or pay taxes on the rare occassion they are asked to?

Ok thank you, so they are legit,

What they are doing is totally legal. It's you who are breaking the law when you import something with a grossly inaccurate price on the declaration. And their T&Cs state that you are the importer.

So Gramps, are we saying that HDEW actually pay the required taxes yet still manage to sell the cameras so cheap (would have to be at a loss). Or do they perhaps do the same as the others, and provide documentation or pay taxes on the rare occassion they are asked to?

Nobody (apart from HDEW themselves) know how they can afford to undercut everybody else. If they are avoiding paying VAT and are supplying fraudulent VAT invoices then they would be in big, big trouble with the excisewoman if caught.

Simply they do not send from abroad and import through Customs so the question of import duties doesn't apply to the buyer.
If you buy from HDEW it will be sent from the UK in exactly the same way as if you bought mail order from Jessops etc ... it will be a 'Grey Market' product and not covered by a Nikon warranty but by HDEW's own warranty (up to 3 years).
If you buy from a Hong Kong dealer you will be importing goods that are required to be declared and which will go through cutoms ... with HDEW you won't.
How HDEW do this is another issue and I do not have an answer but it won't affect the buyer as he/she will buy and receive from the UK :)

The buyer isnt affected in either case as both companies will pay taxes on the rare occassion when their cunning plan of declaring the item as "photographic equipment" of minimal value instead of its true value doesnt work and the item is stopped by customs.
Its just that Panamoz are happy for you to know its imported from Hong Kong (They provide tracking details) whereas HDEW are happy for some customers to think they are buying UK kit because they forward it to the customer on reciept from Hong Kong.
Both offer great customer service and warranty.
You pays yer money and you takes your choice.

The buyer isnt affected in either case as both companies will pay taxes on the rare occassion when their cunning plan of declaring the item as "photographic equipment" of minimal value instead of its true value doesnt work and the item is stopped by customs.
Its just that Panamoz are happy for you to know its imported from Hong Kong (They provide tracking details) whereas HDEW are happy for some customers to think they are buying UK kit because they forward it to the customer on reciept from Hong Kong.
Both offer great customer service and warranty.
You pays yer money and you takes your choice.

That isn't correct ... the issue is the matter of import and customs duty due from the importer.
If bought from HDEW then they simply don't apply to the buyer (you can pick it up from them) and unless you have evidence that HDEW is bypassing import/custom duties then we must assume it doesn't apply to them either :)

So,, What does the grey import actually mean?
I cannot take it in for a service in the UK?
Sorry i'm trying to weigh up whether the £700 saving is worth the unforeseeable problems (If any), My initial thoughts are buy it.
In a worse case scenario, what would be the issues I could encounter
Thank you

That isn't correct ... the issue is the matter of import and customs duty due from the importer.
If bought from HDEW then they simply don't apply to the buyer (you can pick it up from them) and unless you have evidence that HDEW is bypassing import/custom duties then we must assume it doesn't apply to them either :)
Clearly they are importing the goods, paying all relevant taxes and still managing to sell them on at a profit. honest! I wonder also, how many people go and collect at their store?

Grey means it's from abroad and not covered by Nikon's European warranty, that's why the supplier offers their own warranty ... in theory it's actually better as Nikon offer a 2 year non-transferable warranty whereas Panamoz (for example) offer a 3 year transferable warranty (on selected items). :)

Clearly they are importing the goods, paying all relevant taxes and still managing to sell them on at a profit. honest! I wonder also, how many people go and collect at their store?
Does it matter?

... I wonder also, how many people go and collect at their store?

Well me for a start and a few others that I know.

If Panamoz and HDEW are so similar, try asking Panamoz if you can

a) pop along to their office and pick some kit up

b) have a VAT receipt.

You won't get far with either of those requests.

I agree, but as the delivery on my D750 took four days from ordering from Panamoz and as it is two hundred miles to HDEW's office Im quite happy not to bother.

I've bought from both, but have had difficulty in communicating with Panamoz. They're OK when you're in the buying process but not so good at answering mails or the phone before you decide to purchase. HDEW on the other hand are easy to get hold of.

Extract from HDEW terms and conditions... (Very small print)....
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.

Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations,copyright and trademark laws.You accept that the role of HDEW Cameras is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin.By purchasing a product through this website you authorise us to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products you have ordered.

Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations,copyright and trademark laws.You accept that the role of HDEW Cameras is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin.By purchasing a product through this website you authorise us to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products you have ordered.

Then I stand corrected and clearly the import factor is an issue :)

Yeah, same here. 3 year warranty with HDEW s better than canons one year...

Panamoz's phone line is set to PST apparently. when there was a delay in dispatch of a recent purchase & noone answered the phone, I thought "oh no". an email received a prompt response and due to the delay I was offered a £10 refund

Then I stand corrected and clearly the import factor is an issue :)

quote from Panamoz

2. Are there any hidden charges?

Not at all. Our prices are all inclusive. What you see is what you get. You will not be charged any credit card or PayPal processing fees. In addition, all import and customs charges will be covered by us fully, and will be billed to our shipping account directly. You will not be billed.

http://panamoz.com/index.php/faq/

quote from Panamoz

2. Are there any hidden charges?

Not at all. Our prices are all inclusive. What you see is what you get. You will not be charged any credit card or PayPal processing fees. In addition, all import and customs charges will be covered by us fully, and will be billed to our shipping account directly. You will not be billed.

http://panamoz.com/index.php/faq/

Yes I am aware that Panamoz goods are all subject to import duties and they agree to refund if charged - I think many people, like me, were of a different and incorrect view of the case of HDEW.

That didnt use to be the case - at one time HDEW did the importing and you could even get a Vat receipt ... seems they've realised that doing everything by the book was making them uncompetitive against less scrupulous grey importers. :(

with regard to panamoz , I never did get a reply to my email asking if their guaranteed refund of shipping charges would apply if I voluntarily declared the true value of my purchase to HMRC

You can still get a VAT reciept and collect at their office. Their terms and conditions have been the same dor at least the last two years.

HDEW provide VAT receipts, import duty is a little vague. Panamoz you can't get a VAT receipt, import duty pretty much transparent in that it is an obvious dodge. They both provide good warranties but the Panamoz warranty is also transferable. Simples.

I bought from these. I was a bit nervous but by the time my mind started playing tricks my new lens was in my hands! No issues, apart from upsetting a few on here....will i buy again?? Hell yeah!!

I have used hdew with no problem. I have also used slr hut, again no problem. Both purchases over the grand mark each. No customs charges and a receipt from each.

I have used hdew with no problem. I have also used slr hut, again no problem. Both purchases over the grand mark each. No customs charges and a receipt from each.

is that no customs charges because they paid them for you, or no customs charges because they were evaded ?

They state they take care of the custom charges and VAT, all charges in fact inc p+p. They state "what you see is what you pay".

Back