weekly Helen C's 52 for 23. Week 52 - Favourite shot of 2023

What a bonkers piece of "art" :)

Nicely photographed!

I love it, if I was being hyper critical I might of taken out whatever the two structures are on the horizon.Wish there was some art installations like this in Cornwall
I am the same when the sun comes out, I find it hard to maintain my enthusiasm during the summer months, too many other things to enjoy and I suddenly have hundreds of friends who want to visit for the week! :D

What a strange place to see a sculpture, nice shot though.

Lovely pic Helen. I rather like it when pieces of art are installed in unexpected places.

It looks as bemused as everyone that looks at it!
I hope from a H&S point of view it’s visible at night :)
Thanks for dropping by and and commenting. It appears that it's a bit of a marmite subject given the comments made by people on the beach too.

Nice take on the theme Helen :)

Great minds - I went to Swanage to get the lifeguards but ended up with a different shot.
Very much liking the atmosphere and the colours in your picture. Good clouds too

Looks like a lonely job.

Very nice colours and contrast between the sky and beach. For me the sign on the LHS is a bit distracting

Two great images Helen, I love your "struggles of a photographer" story.

That is a lovely scenic beach shot Helen, like you I really like the clouds as well.

Nice take on the theme Helen :)

Great minds - I went to Swanage to get the lifeguards but ended up with a different shot.
Very much liking the atmosphere and the colours in your picture. Good clouds too

Great idea Helen and those clouds are a bonus.

Looks like a lonely job.

Very nice colours and contrast between the sky and beach. For me the sign on the LHS is a bit distracting

I like the image Helen and being an introvert looks like a great job, but I would only want that shift please :)

Lovely shot Helen - great cloudage

Two great images Helen, I love your "struggles of a photographer" story.
Thanks for the kind comments. As ever, very much appreciated.

The colour of the blue with the oranges of the rust stains works nicely. Looks like the remains of a cheap tarpaulin the way it's ripped into the strands.

That works well Helen, and as Graham says there a nice contrast of colours there.

Nice contrast between the colours, even lacking inspiration your pic is probably the most torn this week :) .

It fills the bill Helen, I like the colours and texture.

The colour of the blue with the oranges of the rust stains works nicely. Looks like the remains of a cheap tarpaulin the way it's ripped into the strands.

That works well Helen, and as Graham says there a nice contrast of colours there.

Great detail and textures coming through even on my phone screen.

Nice contrast between the colours, even lacking inspiration your pic is probably the most torn this week :) .

It fills the bill Helen, I like the colours and texture.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comments guys.

A quick phone shot taken on a walk yesterday evening. The view from this point used to be across a grassy meadow with sheep or cows grazing and a view right down to the valley. The local landowner is now constructing four "wilderness lodges" and as part of the development has laid the new M26 and planted large tranches of trees. You may disagree, but I find the whole thing unslightly, it destroys a beautiful vista and I am head scratching as to what sort of "wilderness" this is?? Resentful... moi? Surely not :LOL:

IMG_20230717_174916 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Nice shot Helen. Yeah I can see that view being lost when those trees mature!

Yup. A black swathe of tarmac.....
Certainly all needs (lots of) time to grow and blend in a bit.

Too bad how these things muck up the scenery....

Is the M26 the roadway and the white posts where trees are planted?

Don’t disagree at all, lot of development in our area as well.
We are thinking of moving and first thought when we see a property for sale is there any possibility of development in the surrounding area.
About 5 years ago a few upside down houses were built on outskirts of a local village, floor to ceiling windows, could see some had telescopes near the windows, lovely views across the vale to the Clwydian hills.
New estate now being built directly in front of them.

I agree.

This neck of the woods it is all retirement apartment and villages....

There has been a pretty large influx of older / retired people which isn't bad but the traffic and pressure put on the GPs and local hospital hasn't been very well thought out. My wife had to wait 3 months for a GP appointment!!!!!

Nice shot Helen. Yeah I can see that view being lost when those trees mature!
Yes, most unsightly
Yup. A black swathe of tarmac.....
Certainly all needs (lots of) time to grow and blend in a bit.
Too bad how these things muck up the scenery....
Is the M26 the roadway and the white posts where trees are planted?
@Darkslinger yes... we were told at the planning meeting that it would be a "track" around the field - it's a bit more than that! The white posts are tree guards to protect the new trees from being eaten by deer etc.
Don’t disagree at all, lot of development in our area as well.
We are thinking of moving and first thought when we see a property for sale is there any possibility of development in the surrounding area.
About 5 years ago a few upside down houses were built on outskirts of a local village, floor to ceiling windows, could see some had telescopes near the windows, lovely views across the vale to the Clwydian hills.
New estate now being built directly in front of them.
@nog Thanks. I wouldn't mind as much if it homes were being constructed but this is for "wilderness lodge" holiday lets that are stupidly expensive - beyond the scope of the average holidaymaker...
I agree.

This neck of the woods it is all retirement apartment and villages....

There has been a pretty large influx of older / retired people which isn't bad but the traffic and pressure put on the GPs and local hospital hasn't been very well thought out. My wife had to wait 3 months for a GP appointment!!!!!
@Adamcski None of this stuff makes sense. A local lady recently had planning declined to convert a barn into a home for herself so she could sell her huge farmhouse and have a smaller home as her family had all gone. The reason given was that we are an "unsustainable village" as we don't have a shop, bus service etc. etc. so they won't approve planning for permanent residences. However, holiday lets apparently are fine... all granted without question. Of course, holidaymakers don't use local services?????? Thankfully our parish council intervened and helped her get the planning after a long battle.

I see your points, but hopefully the long view will remain, and the 4 lodges won't have too much of an impact. Planning can be an emotive subject and sometimes the decisions defy logic as to what gets approved, and what gets rejected...

I've been trying to get out with the camera for the last couple of days but failed miserably. I'm not great with macro stuff but here's a close up of a bee on my very pretty white lavender.

PW6A5180 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Nice buzzee bee Helen :)

Nice colours in OOF background and bee has come out well - especially the wings

Love this Helen. You've caught such vibrancy in the bee contrasted wonderfully with the softness of the flowers. Well done.

Nice buzzee bee Helen :)

Nice shot Helen, OOF background works well with the bee and flower.

Nice colours in OOF background and bee has come out well - especially the wings

I think ripped/torn is way better than you think it is going by your PABD comment. Bang on theme plus great colours.

And the pretty shot certainly is.

Love this Helen. You've caught such vibrancy in the bee contrasted wonderfully with the softness of the flowers. Well done.

Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

Nice light Helen. If you go back take a cig lighter :)

Lovely light and shadows, candle height even makes a pattern. Couple of bits in front of the candles are a bit distracting once noticed

Last edited:
Back