Helios 44 Thread - Russia's Best Kept Secret?

Superb images above......wOw. I've maybe asked before (sorry), anyone shoot this (awesome) lens on a Nikon D810 body...? Any problemsor...?...or just add a m42 adapter and away you go....?

Thanks;
Pete

I think I would steer clear of this with a Nikon. The flange distance is less on M42 than the Nikon flange distance - so the lens would have to intrude into the Nikon mount to get infinity focus.
I don't know how this would affect the mirror, but it doesn't seem like a good idea :) They tend to be pricey to replace.

Adaptors can be bought with an element to overcome this, but the degradation in quality would make it not worthwhile.

A better option would be to buy a used Nex 3 (or similar mirrorless), preferably the 16MP versions, and a cheap adaptor. But you're talking about £150 ish to use a £20 or less lens...

I think I would steer clear of this with a Nikon. The flange distance is less on M42 than the Nikon flange distance - so the lens would have to intrude into the Nikon mount to get infinity focus.
I don't know how this would affect the mirror, but it doesn't seem like a good idea :) They tend to be pricey to replace.

Adaptors can be bought with an element to overcome this, but the degradation in quality would make it not worthwhile.

A better option would be to buy a used Nex 3 (or similar mirrorless), preferably the 16MP versions, and a cheap adaptor. But you're talking about £150 ish to use a £20 or less lens...
Appreciate your advice, thanks. I'll just keep my Helios 44/2 upstairs in a drawer just in case.

:(

I liked it so much that I converted one of mine to a Nikon mount.

You have to remove the M42 mount and put a Nikon one on. I used one from a broken, third party Nikon fit lens. A bit of machining was required but it's fairly simple.

Just using an adaptor will put the lens too far forward to get infinity focus.

Steve.

Last edited:
Lifesaver this thread ,I was just about to put mine on evil bay when this thread made me stop and try once more ,the results are encouraging and I shall persevere instead ,I have the Helios 44-m and a obscure make 135mm f2.8 that cost me under £25 for the pair and gave excellent results last night with my new 80D ,going to try today with the lads 5D to see if full frame gives better results

Not seen you about for yonks, Colin :)

The bokeh is a dead give away with the Helios. That last one's a cracker.

Not seen you about for yonks, Colin :)

The bokeh is a dead give away with the Helios. That last one's a cracker.
Thanks ken, last one was my favourite too.

You won't see me often as I rarely venture out of the fuji owners threads. But I'm always here.

Maybe time for a Scottish meet again?

It's almost Fringe Time :) , but there's always time for a meet.

Almost 3D

Is this the DOF this lens is famous for? Not my best image but I think it demonstrates it well?

DOF.png

It just looks so weird :) and distinctive.

Not many lenses do that and at such a good price.
My Contax Carl Zeiss 1.7 50mm comes close, but at over £100.

Hi all, I've seen so people are using lens turbo devices to reduce the focal length on their fuji X mount cameras, but I am confused as to which I'd need? I can't see a version for m43 to fuji X. Do I need a different one and then some additional adapter? Sorry, not used non standard lenses before. Can anyone help? I'm trying to achieve this https://jonasraskphotography.com/20...the-helios-44m-4-w-mitakon-lens-turbo-review/ and this View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BD6qUARDMaQ/

Thanks,
Steve

Just to update, I went with a Canon EF to Fuji FX in the end and bought an FX adapter. I guess this way I have more options for other lenses.

Just to update, I went with a Canon EF to Fuji FX in the end and bought an FX adapter. I guess this way I have more options for other lenses.

Apparently you may have an issue with clearance and some lenses with canon speedboosters.

Ok...so after spotting this thread I just had to have a play! I picked up a Helios 44-2 cheaply from Ebay and an adaptor last week for my Nikon d3200. I decided not to go for the version with glass which would have given me infinity focus, which means that I can't focus from any more than about 5 feet away, but it's still great for playing with close up shots of flowers and such like, or portraits of people that don't mind having me right in their face :D I've managed a couple of almost swirly bokeh images and really like the richness of colour I seem to get. But I think this one, shot into light with crazy rainbow background is my favourite so far.

chives bathed in rainbow light by Em Jay, on Flickr

Edit: I liked the lovely smooth bokeh in this one, too.

golden hour snail by Em Jay, on Flickr

Last edited:
As long as the subject isn't at the edge there's not a problem with sharpness. A cropped sensor also helps.

Good colours in those, Emma.

I've only used the Helios with my Nex cameras so the flange distance isn't a problem.

Apparently you may have an issue with clearance and some lenses with canon speedboosters.

Thanks for the info, but it's ordered, so too late! Will see how I get on. I see others seem to have the canon lens turbo 2 and it seems okay with the xt-1 and helios with a Canon m42 adaptor. I'll see when it all arrives!

As long as the subject isn't at the edge there's not a problem with sharpness. A cropped sensor also helps.

Good colours in those, Emma.

I've only used the Helios with my Nex cameras so the flange distance isn't a problem.
Thanks Ken - I've been surprised how sharp it is at the centre - I caught a lovely couple of shots of my kids. Manual focussing, aperture etc are fine too - but judging exposure has been trickier. I've been using the histogram to help - something I need to get better at doing anyway.

I am loving the photos on this thread and really would like to have a go, I think this is me not reading this thread right will one of these work with my Nikon D7000? or is it a case of getting an adapter?
Thanks in advance

I am loving the photos on this thread and really would like to have a go, I think this is me not reading this thread right will one of these work with my Nikon D7000? or is it a case of getting an adapter?
Thanks in advance

Adapter with lens for infinity and the Helios, plenty of other excellent Nikon f mount lenses out there for you to try without adapter and issues.

Thanks in advance
You'll need an adapter Ian. Some come with a lens at the back which will allow you to focus to infinity, but the cheaper ones will affect the sharpness of the lens. I got one without glass which works well with my d3200 but means I can only take shots from about 5ft away. That pretty much works for me as I was planning to take mostly close up shots anyway, but guess it depends on your needs.

Thanks in advance

You'll need an adapter Ian. Some come with a lens at the back which will allow you to focus to infinity, but the cheaper ones will affect the sharpness of the lens. I got one without glass which works well with my d3200 but means I can only take shots from about 5ft away. That pretty much works for me as I was planning to take mostly close up shots anyway, but guess it depends on your needs.
The results you have put up are fantastic, it is the cheap price to try something a little different that appeals to me :)
Thanks kendo1, I knew I missed something obvious :facepalm:

Thanks Ian - I don't think I've got to grips with the lens yet. The auto everything is a it of a learning curve, especially the auto exposure! I do love the unusual bokeh and the interesting flare shooting into light. As you say, it's not too much expense for a bit of experimentation if you can find the right lens cheaply.

I remembered a mate has a collection of old Zenit's, quick phonecall later and I have a mint 44-4 to play with, adaptor should be here today and I will test it out on a shoot at the weekend in and out of the studio...

Might have to have a go with one of these in the Sony - not quite the same on crop as FF, but probably better than needing the adapter for Nikon.

Hey guys, do does any one know if this lens would work on a Canon 7d2? I'm assuming id need an m42 adaptor, what about flange distance? is this something id need to worry about?
Looks like a cracking little lens for flower photography.

Regards
Geoff

Hmm.. not sure Geoff but let's bump your post in the hope someone else will.

Back