Helios 44 Thread - Russia's Best Kept Secret?

In the thread there was discussion that the lens can damage the cameras shutter curtains. Wasn't sure if this was a risk with mounting this lens and the m42 adaptor to he 7d due to the flange distances. Or maybe I have miss read / understood.
well if its digital your using there are no curtains, that's film camera. if things were really close you could interfere with the mirror movement. i just measured my 44m and on focus it only sticks out the back by about 3mm ish so as long as the adaptor is thicker by 3mm or more than the m42 thread (and your mirror doesn't stick out the front of your camera) then nothing should interfere. so i dont see it would be any issue

Geoff

This link gives you a chance to see an adaptor screwed onto a 42mm thread.

View: https://youtu.be/OfMWSlLhZKw

I use both 42mm and PK manual lenses on my EOS film and Digital bodies (DSLR and EOS M (mirrorless)) and to date I have had no issues. All my adaptors, however, are steel (not on purpose). I did test all adaptor/lens combos on a 'poorly' 20D to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Hey guys, do does any one know if this lens would work on a Canon 7d2? I'm assuming id need an m42 adaptor, what about flange distance? is this something id need to worry about?
Looks like a cracking little lens for flower photography.

Regards
Geoff

7D will be fine, the bigger mirrors of the full frame stuff will hit at infinity - Well, with the 44-2 at least. I stripped & machined the rear of my 44-2 to clear the 5D2 mirror at infinity ;) Even though I now use an A7 :)

Got one of these lovely gems to use with my D700. Only a cheap M42-Nikon adapter, no AF confirm or infinity, but at least the lens fits..

Nothing special yet, other than this guy hanging around the fridge for some reason...

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1466979347.171527.jpg

Last edited:
7D will be fine, the bigger mirrors of the full frame stuff will hit at infinity - Well, with the 44-2 at least. I stripped & machined the rear of my 44-2 to clear the 5D2 mirror at infinity ;) Even though I now use an A7 :)
Thanks Lee. - Ill be moving to Full Frame, pending the specs of the 5D MK IV. So its good to know.

Regards
Geoff

i am enjoying playing with this, just a quick snap
helios 44m-4 by nik-o 2012, on Flickr
Nice shot and great colours..

I am travelling in Ireland and got into Kerry yesterday - land of wild Fuscia in place of roadside hedges. Got an M42 - EF-M converter co and a PK - EF-M converter so will test my 44-4 against the Pentax M 100 macro on the EOS M. Both 80's vintage lenses.

The 44-4 has been in my possession for 2 years and is great value. Years ago I had a 44-2 but sold it on an old Praktika body for peanuts.

Just a reminder for EOS M users - don't forget, when using basic manual lenses, go to the custom settings menu and select the option to "Release shutter without lens fitted" - the camera will not 'fire' the shutter unless you select this option as there is no electronics on the manual lenses so the camera "does not know" a lens is fitted.

Nice shot and great colours..

I am travelling in Ireland and got into Kerry yesterday - land of wild Fuscia in place of roadside hedges. Got an M42 - EF-M converter co and a PK - EF-M converter so will test my 44-4 against the Pentax M 100 macro on the EOS M. Both 80's vintage lenses.

The 44-4 has been in my possession for 2 years and is great value. Years ago I had a 44-2 but sold it on an old Praktika body for peanuts.

Just a reminder for EOS M users - don't forget, when using basic manual lenses, go to the custom settings menu and select the option to "Release shutter without lens fitted" - the camera will not 'fire' the shutter unless you select this option as there is no electronics on the manual lenses so the camera "does not know" a lens is fitted.
ace, they are just fun to use. its making me smile each time i am out with it. maybe not technically the best but there is something lovely about the images they produce

lovely shot and swirls! Can I ask the aperture?

Thank you, all.
The aperture was F2 or F2,8 - This was one of a few test shots.
I made sure that I have a lot of space between the model and the background.
But with this lens is always fun - just go and experiment.

Regards,
Kalin

Had a wander around the boot sale this morning and spotted a vintage case for my Helios, it was a bit grubby and had a few rust spots. For £20 knocked down to £15 I thought it would be rude not to buy it.
A little bit of elbow grease when I got home showed some improvement but it still needs a bit more work.

Shots taken with Helios 44.

Zenit / Helios Kit by barrysprout, on Flickr

There were a couple of bits and pieces still in the case too which was a bonus.

The camera and flash are probably only bin worthy and the 44 isn't the greatest condition (although the glass is clean and tidy), but it's a doubler anyway. The 28 and 135 are rather nice condition though. :)

Last edited:
Sell the camera and flash, Colin, you might get something for them.
Good find.

Sell the camera and flash, Colin, you might get something for them.
Good find.

Battery cover is missing from flash and camera won't even open to put a film in. It may be turned into a desk lamp at some point.

So what's the difference between the 44-2, and the 44-4 ?
Are they all similar quality, optically etc?

Last edited:
Thanks for the very useful link.
Having read it, it would seem that another difference is that the 44-2 is manual aperture, and the 44-4 has an auto aperture.
I think ?
Looks like it.
I have the 44-2 and stop down manually. On a Nex you just select the aperture you want on the lens and the camera meters accordingly using aperture priority- no problem up to about f8, but I usually shoot wide open.

I might get one to use on my X Pro-1.
Looks different enough to be interesting.
Would have to get an adapter, as I only have a Nikon-Fuji adapter currently.

My 44-2 seems a little odd, up close its lovely and sharp, but at range it's soft, I'd have thought if anything it'd be the other way round

My 44-2 seems a little odd, up close its lovely and sharp, but at range it's soft, I'd have thought if anything it'd be the other way round

That's quite normal with a lot of adapters.
It might not be focusing exactly to infinity.

Work around it and use its strengths- choose close subjects :) You can always use a normal lens!

Back