Helios 44 Thread - Russia's Best Kept Secret?

...if I had one on my Fuji [emoji16]
Thanks though, good to know it's normal, but surprising at around ten metres

...if I had one on my Fuji [emoji16]
Thanks though, good to know it's normal, but surprising at around ten metres
Ten metres- it should be fine. You can adjust them.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Cheers, greatly appreciated

Excellent, thank you

Well I only used mine once and took it out yesterday and it wont shoot at f2 anymore.

Have you checked what is happening with the aperture blades when it's not mounted on the camera? Seems strange that it would work at other wide apertures and then suddenly stop down when at f2. Maybe even try rapidly turning the aperture ring back and forth, it might just unstick it enough to be usable.

Have you checked what is happening with the aperture blades when it's not mounted on the camera? Seems strange that it would work at other wide apertures and then suddenly stop down when at f2. Maybe even try rapidly turning the aperture ring back and forth, it might just unstick it enough to be usable.

Thanks will give it a go

Got a few M42 mount lenses mostly Ziess primes but I do have a 135mm Helios......Just bid on a f2 58mm after reading through this lot, thanks for the info :popcorn:

got one £16 :)

Last edited:
It finally arrived, It's the old type with the weird double ring selector for the aperture....3 test shots at F2.8 (F2 was really soft) lens is prety good with colour and contrast, probubley one of the best M42's I've used for this! Anyhow, thanks for the info, amazing lens! Will be living in the camera bag for some time!

Keys at 2 meters (cropped image) bokha and sharp test

28685036651_2c76f3905d_c.jpg

Macro tube test contrast
28762168215_8e5dbdef6b_h.jpg

Minimum focus test, all shots f2.8
28685050921_12e14ccbf6_h.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine two weeks ago - Love it. Dropped it in a sandpit trying to take pictures of a my daughter... Now the once-beautifully smooth focusing is scratchy and horrible :( At least the glass didn't get touched :(

Wally. :D

They are quite easy to take apart and clean.
In fact, just a partial dismantle and cleaning with a cotton bud stick will probably do the trick.

Yeah - there's a few videos on YouTube, looks fairly simple. I gave it an airblast yesterday, but the sand's in the grease I imagine so will need a dismantle.

I was a bit unimpressed as I couldn't get the swirling bokeh on my lens - nice lens and nice bokeh but no swirl:(

Then I got a focal reducer for my NEX5N and first shot - swirlinessabounds:)

_DSC2002 by John Pond, on Flickr

I love the photo's in this thread!

I'd like to get a Helios 44M 58mm lens (and adaptor) to try on my Fuji XT-10.

Where might I find one? Is Ebay the only place or can I find one elsewhere? Are there any camera shops that sell these lenses?

Thanks.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/helios44m58mm
I bought both the adaptor and lens from eBay (different sellers, adapter came from China).

Lens actually came from a small camera / antique type shop I believe and you'll probably see a few of these on ebay now. Have a look and there should be a few to choose from. Look for a number of detailed photos and an accurate description before you purchase and you should be fine, though obviously ebay offer protection should you need it [emoji4]

You might get them at some smaller or local camera shops, but you might have better and quicker luck on ebay..

I think the 44-2 has 8 blade aperture where as the 44-4 has only 6!

I bought both the adaptor and lens from eBay (different sellers, adapter came from China).

Lens actually came from a small camera / antique type shop I believe and you'll probably see a few of these on ebay now. Have a look and there should be a few to choose from. Look for a number of detailed photos and an accurate description before you purchase and you should be fine, though obviously ebay offer protection should you need it [emoji4]

Thanks; that's very informative.

I usually try to avoid Ebay as I had a bad experience using Ebay & PayPal a few years ago; but if there is no alternative...

You might get them at some smaller or local camera shops, but you might have better and quicker luck on ebay..

I think the 44-2 has 8 blade aperture where as the 44-4 has only 6!

Thanks.

I'm a beginner to photography. Am I right in thinking that the more aperture blades; the better the 'Bokeh'? Or have I got that wrong?

Cheers.

Thanks; that's very informative.

I usually try to avoid Ebay as I had a bad experience using Ebay & PayPal a few years ago; but if there is no alternative...
Like you I'd rather have bought in a shop, but for speed and choice ebay was clearly the way to go. No harm in checking camera shops of course, but if they know what they're selling it'll probably be at a premium with prices for these manual lenses on the up.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I'm a beginner to photography. Am I right in thinking that the more aperture blades; the better the 'Bokeh'? Or have I got that wrong?

Cheers.
Not sure how correct that is myself tbh, but the 44-2 is said to have the swirliest (it's a word) bokeh. They're all different and none bad I'm guessing.

Like you I'd rather have bought in a shop, but for speed and choice ebay was clearly the way to go. No harm in checking camera shops of course, but if they know what they're selling it'll probably be at a premium with prices for theseason manual lenses on the up.

I do look in my local camera shop (LCE) from time to time and I have never seen one there.

Looks like it's Ebay then!

Cheers.

Not sure how correct that is myself tbh, but the 44-2 is said to have the swirliest (it's a word) bokeh. They're all different and none bad I'm guessing.

Thanks; that's good to know.

I won't fret too much about how many aperture blades the lens has then!

Thanks.

Cheers.
It just means that when stopped down, the "out of focus lights" aka "bokeh balls" are nice and round on the 8 bladed design..

This lens is lovely sharp wide open at f/2, so unless you plan to couple it with tubes or adapter for macro photography it's really of little consequence..

It just means that when stopped down, the "out of focus lights" aka "bokeh balls" are nice and round on the 8 bladed design..

This lens is lovely sharp wide open at f/2, so unless you plan to couple it with tubes or adapter for macro photography it's really of little consequence..

Thanks; that's very helpful. I'm still learning and appreciate your comments.

I would like to take up close up photo's of flowers; like those at the start of this thread.

I'm considering buying extension tubes for my Fuji XT10; so do you think I would be better off going for the 8 Bladed aperture ring version of the lens?

Cheers.

Thanks; that's very helpful. I'm still learning and appreciate your comments.

I would like to take up close up photo's of flowers; like those at the start of this thread.

I'm considering buying extension tubes for my Fuji XT10; so do you think I would be better off going for the 8 Bladed aperture ring version of the lens?

Cheers.
These lenses only go for around £20 on ebay, I would rather just go on the basis of condition/price ratio.

At the end of the day it's gonna come down to what you can get that's not been affected by decades of use or neglect.

Read the descriptions and make sure it has clear optics and smooth focus ring..

These lenses only go for around £20 on ebay, I would rather just go on the basis of condition/price ratio.

At the end of the day it's gonna come down to what you can get that's not been affected by decades of use or neglect.

Read the descriptions and make sure it has clear optics and smooth focus ring..

Good advice - thank you.

I got mine via eBay from a guy who services them fully before re-selling. So cost a bit more, but mine was beautiful to use (until I dropped it in a sandpit, now the focus grates...)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/omegamadjeff?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Sample-size of one, but I was really pleased with the lens. Fully serviced, so felt really smooth to focus, snappy aperture and zero dust or fungus.

I got mine via eBay from a guy who services them fully before re-selling. So cost a bit more, but mine was beautiful to use (until I dropped it in a sandpit, now the focus grates...)

Sample-size of one, but I was really pleased with the lens. Fully serviced, so felt really smooth to focus, snappy aperture and zero dust or fungus.

He has an interesting idea of 'minty' but I'd believe that the lenses are serviced and will work OK.

True - perhaps as mint as a thirty year old lens can be...? Mine was pretty immaculate however, no scratches, all paint fine and perfect glass.

STOP IT!!!!
:D

PS.
What's all this about "solid" and modded pins?

Last edited:
True - perhaps as mint as a thirty year old lens can be...? Mine was pretty immaculate however, no scratches, all paint fine and perfect glass.

Glad you managed to spoil a good one then. ;) I looked at a couple described as minty, and saw gouges across the surface, though I'm sure they are optically fine.

I'm sure I read somewhere about a UK company that takes these lenses (or other Russian lenses) and puts the optical bits in snazzy new bodies.

ah, found them... Richard Gale / Dog Schidt.

Back