Beginner Hello!

Edit My Images
Yes
hello there!

Apologies if this is the incorrect place to post this but I need some help...

I’m slowly getting more into photography, taking much better pictures on what I have (iPhone 8) and would like to purchase a DSLR or Mirrorless camera.

I enjoy taking landscape shots the most, whilst also owning a self aligning Meade telescope and would like to take some deep object Astrophotography too.

What would be a good camera to purchase for this? I can use light room and understand the fundamental basics to photography.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Matt

just starting out so cant help directly but giving a budget tends to get more helpful feedback

First, decide on a budget and include lenses in this.

Then decide on mirrorless or DSLR. There are great options on both.

New or used? Obviously you get more for your money used.

Mirrorless, lots of people consider this to be the future and there are lots of good options.

You could for example (lots more options available than I will suggest) look at:

Olympus (EM10, EM10II, EM5),
Panasonic (GX7, GX8, GX80, G80) - the GX80 can sometimes be had on brilliant deals and has recently been on a deal with 3 lenses covering many focal lengths.
Fuji (X-T1,2 , X-Pro 1, 2)
Sony (A6000, A6300)

DSLR Options could be something like:

Canon: 100d, 200d, 600d, 650d, 700d, 750d, 70d etc.

Nikon: D3200, D3400, D5200, D7200

Again this is all budget dependant.

There are benefits to both Mirrorless and DSLR systems. Some of the cameras I mentioned have M4/3 sensors, some have APS-C.

Whichever you go with, check what lenses you would like and see if they fit your budget before jumping in.

It sounds like you want a camera to cover as much bases as possible, since the comparison was with your phone. So I would suggest a camera with kit lens.

The examples Tom Green^^ gave are pretty good.

I appreciate that knowing budget is helpful for people that know the gear inside and out, but sometimes a general point in the right direction can help.

Suggestions for type:
Want pocketable? Go point and shoot.
Want small? Go mirrorless
Wanting to branch out down the line/ get a full feel for photography experience? DLSR (although you can get this with mirrorless as well, but there are currently more lenses, etc.)

Astral photography you will likely want other lenses down the line, and I would probably point in the direction of a DLSR for this.

Back