Beginner Help & Advice needed

Name
Karl
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I love photography and have always enjoyed the creative process of framing up the perfect shot then editing it to my liking. I have however always been limited to my iPhone which I came to love and have got some great shots with while I’ve had it.
I’ve never really been the shy or timid one and have always just got my phone out for a picture where ever and when ever.
I recently bit the bullet and bought my first camera, a Sony A7iii. I’m fairly confident and comfortable with the manual setting etc but when it comes to actually taking my camera out with me and using it in front of people I seem to lose all that creativity and inspiration while being very conscious and aware of people around me and what they’re thinking (stupid I know).

Has anyone else felt like this after getting their first larger (proper) camera? and have you got any tips on how to get over it and start enjoying photography again with this incredible piece of kit.
Thanks

Hi Karl, welcome, I won't be much help I'm the same, I think with phones it's 'easy' as everyone is at it, when you have a DSLR or large camera it can draw attention or atleast feel like that, when I had a pocket camera years ago no one battered an eye lid, but now I find people walking up to me asking what I'm doing and looking at, I find it very hard to talk to public.
Try not to think about what your holding and treat it the same as your phone, not great advice but I'm sure others may help more :)
Enjoy the new camera (y)
Gav

I seem to lose all that creativity and inspiration while being very conscious and aware of people around me and what they’re thinking (stupid I know).
Hi Karl, welcome to TP.

What causes the fear? What sort of photography are you doing? What lens do you have on?

If it's shame of fiddling with your camera, just put it on auto (green box or whatever the Sony equivalent is) and use it like a phone until your confidence returns.
If you're trying to do street/architecture photography with a big lens on a relatively large camera, you're likely to get noticed and frowned at, which can increase anxiety. A phone camera is so common, people ignore it, and smaller cameras with smaller lenses can be much easier to both wield and operate.

It's difficult to say what can overcome the fear without knowing what the fear actually is, but generally speaking, getting out there and taking photos will overcome it. As you become more familiar with the operation of the camera and actually using it around people, the anxiety should lessen allowing you to focus on the subject rather than the camera.

So, I love photography and have always enjoyed the creative process of framing up the perfect shot then editing it to my liking. I have however always been limited to my iPhone which I came to love and have got some great shots with while I’ve had it.
I’ve never really been the shy or timid one and have always just got my phone out for a picture where ever and when ever.
I recently bit the bullet and bought my first camera, a Sony A7iii. I’m fairly confident and comfortable with the manual setting etc but when it comes to actually taking my camera out with me and using it in front of people I seem to lose all that creativity and inspiration while being very conscious and aware of people around me and what they’re thinking (stupid I know).

Has anyone else felt like this after getting their first larger (proper) camera? and have you got any tips on how to get over it and start enjoying photography again with this incredible piece of kit.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum Karl, I know where you are coming from and all I can say is you are not stupid in the thinking. I have the A7 III and it is one hell of a camera, try not to put it on full auto mode and instead put it in Aperture mode and play around with the different settings and put the EC dial on 0 so the front dial can be use if and when needed. I have only just picked up one of my Sony cameras after a long spell away because of covid, if you have a 35mm or 28mm lens then stick that on the A7 III try and go out and enjoy taking photos and get plenty of practice.

Back