HELP/ADVICE

Fuji Dave

I'm in Clover
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks I need some more advice, today I was talking to the bar staff of a pub that I use to drink in. The pub has live music and I asked if it was ok to take a shot or two, they said yes but I must ask if people mind being in the photo. I have a 50mm ( niffty fifty, 18-135mm 50mm macro ) and would use either of these lenses. The singers will be singing in a pub that is small, about 45ft x 20ft and lighting will be coming from the window and any lights inside. So what would be the best lens I have said and what setting, Manual/Shutter speed/Aperture.

Of the lenses you have, the nifty.. wide-open in Av, with ISO as high as you can accept in terms of noise results. And push the ISO beyond acceptability if required and fix with B&W! You might find the 50mm a bit long for many pub gigs, I certainly preferred a 30mm with APS-C.

You may find the 10-18 is fine, epsecially if its tight for space, but I would take the 18-55.
Settings will depend on available light and subject movement - keep chimping till you find the sweet spot.

You may find the 10-18 is fine, epsecially if its tight for space, but I would take the 18-55.
Settings will depend on available light and subject movement - keep chimping till you find the sweet spot.

Thanks Mark, I have Never done one from inside but wont the 10-18 be to wide as I only want to take just one lens.

Thanks Mark, I have Never done one from inside but wont the 10-18 be to wide as I only want to take just one lens.

small enough to slip in your pocket though...
Just going on experience of pub gigs - soace can soon run out if the act is popular.

Thanks Alastair, the other lens I also have ou 10-18mm 18-55mm on the 70D. Plus I shoot in Raw too.

With these lenses I'd imagine you'll be at f5.6 and as you'll be shooting indoors and needing a reasonable shutter speed I'd probably opt for something which will give you a wider aperture to keep the ISO reasonable.

@Dave70D worth packing a speedlight too, no? Bounced flash would help a lot if ambient is very dark.

@Dave70D worth packing a speedlight too, no? Bounced flash would help a lot if ambient is very dark.
And may also draw complaints from the venue, band or crowd. Personally I rarely used flash, it may be ok, may not... I'd check with the venue/band or at least get a feel for the atmosphere and see what others are doing before using flash.

And may also draw complaints from the venue, band or crowd. Personally I rarely used flash, it may be ok, may not... I'd check with the venue/band or at least get a feel for the atmosphere and see what others are doing before using flash.

I did ask the manageress and she said she is fine with me taking photos, but I have to ask people first if they mind being in the shot. I think I got the size wrong too, as just Googled The Revelater pub Brighton, and it is smaller inside.

Last edited:
You're going to need to shoot at around 1/200s, around f/2.8 to f/4 and with an ISO not exceeding 800 on a cropped sensor body. If that comes out too dark, you'll need to use a speedlight/flash.

1/200s?!

1/40 should be fine around 50mm if you hold it steady and time it right

Band with no name
by Rob Telford, on Flickr

[Full frame with a manual focus FD 50mm f/1.4, probably around f/1.8]

I go as low as 1/10 or 1/5 on the rare occasions I use flash; drag the shutter and let a little movement in

Original Cast
by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Last edited:
1/200s?!

1/40 should be fine around 50mm if you hold it steady and time it right

Well there's two really big ifs and buts. 1/40 can often be utterly useless for people if you want them to look anything like frozen in the final image. having said that a bit of motion is often a good thing but people like us look for sharp eyes etc and slow shutter speeds often don't get that.

Thank you all for the help and advice. I am thinking of doing it in Full manual and use the 50mm. I have never done anything like this before, so if I only get a couple of shots to keep, I will be chuffed. Would it be fine to set Auto ISO, with a limit from 100-3200 ?
Plus I am Not aloud to use flash.

Last edited:
You could...if the scene is very dark you will need to adjust the auto ISO to allow for that. If that's not possible then will need setting manually. I'd suggest practicing with the 50mm wide open ahead of the event and see what shutter speed you can manage and then on the day adjust the ISO to give correct exposure. If it was me and not trying panning or deliberate motion blur I'd be thinking of 1/60th or 1/80th as min shutter speed. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing the results :)

Looks like it is Not going to happen, I went out for a quick pint last night and the manager of the band who I got talking too about taking photos said, No but you can use a mobile phone. So I was polite and said Thanks but no Thanks, he did not say why he or the band don`t want me to use a DSLR and use only a mobile phone instead. So even though it`s not going to happen now, Thank you all for the advice.

Looks like it is Not going to happen, I went out for a quick pint last night and the manager of the band who I got talking too about taking photos said, No but you can use a mobile phone. So I was polite and said Thanks but no Thanks, he did not say why he or the band don`t want me to use a DSLR and use only a mobile phone instead. So even though it`s not going to happen now, Thank you all for the advice.

Why didn't you call him out on it and ask what the difference is and why he doesn't want you to use a DSLR? Not that it's any of his business (unless he owns the private place you wanted to shoot in?).

Lot of smaller venues, like o2 Academies wont allow cameras with removeable lens but allow phones.
Seems bands only want low res shyte images out there....

Why didn't you call him out on it and ask what the difference is and why he doesn't want you to use a DSLR? Not that it's any of his business (unless he owns the private place you wanted to shoot in?).

Had a talk with the bloke later today, he got in his head that I was going to use flash. I have said that I Never use the flash at all, so he then told me to come on Tuesday night and snap away. He told me that when others have taken photos the flash puts them off while singing in pubs. So once I have taken the shots and edited them I will put them up for CC, one happy bunny tonight :)

Had a talk with the bloke later today, he got in his head that I was going to use flash. I have said that I Never use the flash at all, so he then told me to come on Tuesday night and snap away. He told me that when others have taken photos the flash puts them off while singing in pubs. So once I have taken the shots and edited them I will put them up for CC, one happy bunny tonight :)

That's good to hear, good luck with it (y)

Go get some good 'un's! :)

I would stick the 50mm on in Av mode. Adjust the ISO so that you're achieving a shutter over 1/100th IMO. The faster the better unless you want to get creative.

Assuming the light doesn't change, you can always switch to Manual once you have found the sweet spot with settings.

I would stick the 50mm on in Av mode. Adjust the ISO so that you're achieving a shutter over 1/100th IMO. The faster the better unless you want to get creative.

Assuming the light doesn't change, you can always switch to Manual once you have found the sweet spot with settings.

Thanks Joe for the advice, went their today to suss it out, so looking forward to going :)

Total waste of time going last night, as I do not like taking photos of the back of peoples heads.

To overcome that situation recently in a really crowded situation, I lifted my camera above the crowd on a monopod with remote trigger. Worked better than I expected. Remote live view via the canon app would be even better as that would allow proper framing and autofocus too.

I can't give technical advise but I would just go and shoot away, skipping prior conversations with manager etc. If some bouncer comes up and tells you to stop, fine you probably already have some good shots. And what's the deal about "permission" to shoot anyway? Smartphone photos? Sheesh! Very lame. I walked down the avenue once in Cali, Colombia, I was carrying (my digital point and shoot) There was a rustic furniture shop that had their wares spread out on the public sidewalk. I snapped a photo of a bed frame because I was indeed going to have a carpenter make one for me. Guy came running out of the shop yelling "give me your film, give me your film!" I crossed the street and kept moving.

I have the experience you better keep managers ( clubs and bands) as friend. It makes things easier in the future. Explain what your going to do and why, show the pics, gain confindence.
On a crop a 50mm is a bit long in small clubs I always used a 24-70 in combination with a 70-200 on a crop and now on a FF. If you haven't a fast lens than use the lightshow, there is most off the time a patern in it and wait for enough light on your subject

Back