HELP !!!< Canon Pro 1000 printer problems.

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
I Own a Pro 1000 Canon printer , Not used it for over a year ( Very bad thing to do ) due to a house move and no spare time , I tried using it yesterday to do a nozzle test print , It did print this after about 10 mins of chunking and wuring and funny noises , Then went straight into " Your waist ink tank is full warning "
OK off I go and order a new tank £15 , now installed.

New tank empty weight is 275 grams
Old full tank is 410 grams

Pulled out all the ink cartridges and weighed each one.
Reserch on the web indicates empty cart weight at 33 grams / Full weight at 116 grams.
My carts see below

PM..... R.....C.....PGY.....MBK.....PBK.....B.....CD.....GY.....Y.....M.....PC..... this is all 12 colours.
50.......45...45...45........50.........40........40...40......40.....45.45....40 , all in grams so well down on ink levels .
A new genuine set of inks is over £500
Alternative ink from other makers are around £200 ish for a set of 12.
I have seen re fill kits either 80 ML bottles ( £100 ) or 125 ML bottles( £200 ) for all 12 colours
Each cartridge has a chip installed that tells the printer the ink levels , If you buy new genuine the chips tell the printer the ink is full.
I have also seen Chip re setting devices , Has anyone used one of these successfully ?

Im in a bit of a dilemma as to how to go with this ,
Pay out and see what happens or buy something ( Not somethink ) New

If I go new I would need a printer that has re fillable tanks , I don't need a scanner or FAX Just a high quality colour photo printer printing up to A4 nothing huge, Any recomendations on this most welcome .
Thanks

Last edited:
My advice from someone who was in a similar position is cut your losses now.
I had a Pro 10 and it was just too expensive for me as a hobbyist, cost a fortune just turning it on.

Nice to see "somethink" getting some bad vibes, not so chuffed with "waist" tank though :)

Last edited:
I Own a Pro 1000 Canon printer , Not used it for over a year ( Very bad thing to do ) due to a house move and no spare time , I tried using it yesterday to do a nozzle test print , It did print this after about 10 mins of chunking and wuring and funny noises , Then went straight into " Your waist ink tank is full warning "
OK off I go and order a new tank £15 , now installed.

New tank empty weight is 275 grams
Old full tank is 410 grams

Pulled out all the ink cartridges and weighed each one.
Reserch on the web indicates empty cart weight at 33 grams / Full weight at 116 grams.
My carts see below

PM..... R.....C.....PGY.....MBK.....PBK.....B.....CD.....GY.....Y.....M.....PC..... this is all 12 colours.
50.......45...45...45........50.........40........40...40......40.....45.45....40 , all in grams so well down on ink levels .
A new genuine set of inks is over £500
Alternative ink from other makers are around £200 ish for a set of 12.
I have seen re fill kits either 80 ML bottles ( £100 ) or 125 ML bottles( £200 ) for all 12 colours
Each cartridge has a chip installed that tells the printer the ink levels , If you buy new genuine the chips tell the printer the ink is full.
I have also seen Chip re setting devices , Has anyone used one of these successfully ?

Im in a bit of a dilemma as to how to go with this ,
Pay out and see what happens or buy something ( Not somethink ) New

If I go new I would need a printer that has re fillable tanks , I don't need a scanner or FAX Just a high quality colour photo printer printing up to A4 nothing huge, Any recomendations on this most welcome .
Thanks
which way did you go in the end ?

I didn't. It's still here doing nothing , Keeps looking at me :eek::oops: :$

I had troubles with mine. It showed an error message that was uncoded which may have been the result of a faulty cartridge chip or something else. I moved it on after talking to Centrex {spelling?] who repair Canon printers. The person I moved it on to - not on here - claimed it was fine and not throwing this intermittent error message. I am getting a new one before this cashback finishes which means a new set of Canon inks and no chance of that dratted error message flushing my ink away as the pipe gets empty. It might be worth contacting Centrex directly and asking their advice. They service printers for others not just Canon. There is a 60 hour cleaning cycle if you do not keep it going. I find, with the variations in the style oof what I print, that I buy cartridges from time to time as the colours do not run down evenly. This spreads the replacement cost. Have you tried printing since you put the new waste bin in?

Yes and no it still won't print properly , Won't do a head alignment either .

Last time I tried , Half way through the print the paper moved out of true.

More learning today re this printer , When the printer goes into cleaning mode on the printer head , This is done by vacuum of the printer nozels , Old ink is vacuumed into the waste tank , This also cleans the ink lines.
I live and learn.
This came from a you tube video by Jose Rodriguez in the USA.

Last edited:
I was going to download and print the user manual , It's 858 pages o_O :eek:

it also states this =-
When you unplug the power cord, press the ON button, then confirm that the POWER lamp is off. Unplugging the power cord while the POWER lamp is lit or flashing may cause drying or clogging of the print head and print quality may be reduced.

Last edited:
Whilst I was aware of the shutdown routine probably by accident as it is just the way I quit IT stuff, Please keep these thoughts coming as I am ordering my replacement this week in time for cashback. The ink head that seems most often to get clogged is the matt black - ironic as this was one of the reasons I wanted the printer. I am going to have a really strict routine with printing to make sure it doesn't clog. I understand that running the nozzle check is a good way to ensure all the cartridges are being used sufficiently.

I will keep posting any info I find , I am having a real hard time spending best part of £600 for some genuine cartridges from Canon :mad:
May have a go at re filling the carts I have at the moment , Re fills can pe obtained here
Enough for 2 x 60 ml top ups
I need to find 12 syringe's that hold 60 ml each , Then find out what cleaning fluid would wash them out and clean the pigment ink fluid away ready for use next time , Look at me recycling the old carts and syringes :) I'm a good boy.
Anyone had a go at re progpaming the chips in the carts that tell the printer the ink levels ???

3 options now.
1, Refil pack of 12 ink's at £190
2, Genuine set at £591
3, Compatible Canon PFI-1000 12 Colour Ink Cartridge Multipack
Just had a email reply from Cartridgesave.co.uk, I asked if these carts came with a chip installed that report the ink level to the printer and the answer was yes :) , This pack of 12 960ml carts costs £328.75 delivered.
Will have a ponder for a while and order one of the above.

ok so I have been using refill carts since starting with the pro1000 for me at present genuine is not a option using for my own prints and happy with results of refill ink , as the pro1000 can do a colour calibration by printing a test patch sheet and then scanning it back to profile the result I went with refill and works out great for me

you said above about syringes nope instead go to octoink and buy there refill kit bottles they also sell the ink for the 1000

resetting chips again no there is nothing out there to reset the chips for the most part ill come to that , instead a empty bone dry cart weighs if memory serves 32g and when full approx 150g so I use a small weigh scale to track this.

there is no need to modify the pro1000 carts on the exit port if you like of the cart there is a simple pressure plate that when in the printer opens and with gentle pressure of the refilling kit I got from octa-ink I am able to refill this way so no modifying at all of the cartridge.

Now for the chips there is 2 options first being goto aliexpress search for the infinite auto reset chips when asking questions of the seller they were very uninformative about how many times or how long these chips will last and @ $20 per chip 12 needed $240 plus post and import tax was not a option for me as no one knows how long they last

there is another option to modify the carts to take a sensor and when they get to say 40ml trigger a warning cost $200 plus post and tax from USA. again for me not worth the extra

So I have been refilling the carts as said above and I am loving the printer if any one wants/needs more info drop me a message or tell me if it is ok to post the external links I with post send and save you at least a weeks worth of research and maybe some money trialling items as well

either way happy to help thanks Neil

Good idea re weighing the carts when filling . I have now ordered the
Compatible Canon PFI-1000 12 Colour Ink Cartridge Multipack
Just had a email reply from Cartridgesave.co.uk, I asked if these carts came with a chip installed that report the ink level to the printer and the answer was yes :) , This pack of 12 960ml carts costs £328.75 delivered. This will leave me with a spare set of nearly empty carts that I can fill as needed .

I will keep posting any info I find , I am having a real hard time spending best part of £600 for some genuine cartridges from Canon :mad:
May have a go at re filling the carts I have at the moment , Re fills can pe obtained here
Enough for 2 x 60 ml top ups
I need to find 12 syringe's that hold 60 ml each , Then find out what cleaning fluid would wash them out and clean the pigment ink fluid away ready for use next time , Look at me recycling the old carts and syringes :) I'm a good boy.
Anyone had a go at re progpaming the chips in the carts that tell the printer the ink levels ???

A veterinary supplier might stock suitable syringes and needles - best visit in person so they can see you're a genuine person rather than wanting the stuff for nefarious purposes!

I would guess that Isopropyl Alcohol would be a suitable cleaning solvent - but check! I got mine from the big river.

no need for syringe I got this kit simply push into cartridge and squeeze refill by weight as you cannot see the inside takes about 20 mins to refill all carts

no need for syringe I got this kit simply push into cartridge and squeeze refill by weight as you cannot see the inside takes about 20 mins to refill all carts

Nice one Neil , Just ordered that 12 bottle refill kit (y)

A veterinary supplier might stock suitable syringes and needles - best visit in person so they can see you're a genuine person rather than wanting the stuff for nefarious purposes!

I would guess that Isopropyl Alcohol would be a suitable cleaning solvent - but check! I got mine from the big river.
Thats good Nod , I have that in a spray and std fluid so should be good with that .

Something else I found out today . If your printer stops printing due to low ink , You can press and hold for 5 seconds the red button below the power button and it will override the ink monitoring , This is for emergency use not for continued printing.
My new carts arrive just now so later tonight I will have a go at fitting them and see if the low ink level " Yellow ! " and returns to normal , Aparently these carts have a new chip fitted , Time will tell.

did you order the bottles as well as the bottle caps I ask because I just went for tops to start and they didn't fit my ink bottles so had to then order the bottles if you follow

on the chips I think you will be good

did you get the message after yellow or when turning to red Allen

I ordered the pack suggested , After yellow .

New carts arrived today .

All 12 new cartridges now fitted , Print nozzle test completed , The printer is reporting all nozzeles are clear , :banana:
Looks like i'm good to go , Also the printer is communicating with the none genuine cartridges showing ink levels , Pleased with that as they are £150 cheaper the the genuine one's.

Whilst I was aware of the shutdown routine probably by accident as it is just the way I quit IT stuff, Please keep these thoughts coming as I am ordering my replacement this week in time for cashback. The ink head that seems most often to get clogged is the matt black - ironic as this was one of the reasons I wanted the printer. I am going to have a really strict routine with printing to make sure it doesn't clog. I understand that running the nozzle check is a good way to ensure all the cartridges are being used sufficiently.
Just a thought, but is it worth buying the genuine Canon ink for Matt black?

I have a Canon Pro1 and used to try and keep a routine of printing (with genuine inks). I used to use QimageOne to schedule nozzle checks when I was away on holiday, but don’t bother now. I think it was shown to make no difference - possibly gleaned from Rodriguez‘ YouTube channel? It may well be different for non Canon inks.

My Pro1 turned off during a thunder storm months ago (So print head not properly ‘parked’). I turned it back on this week - huge cleaning cycle, but it has printed flawlessly.

It’s definitely worth checking out the YouTube channel

View: https://youtu.be/kOZguBbFoZ4

Edit - just to add. I don’t print borderless prints - partly because I don’t want ink on my rollers, but also I believe this adds more ink to the waste cart. The waste cart on the Pro 1 is not replaceable, unlike the Pro 1000.

Last edited:
Now I have a set of 12 OE empty carts I will have a go at re filling them and research where I can get 12 micro chips ? Anyone know where these are available.

Just a thought, but is it worth buying the genuine Canon ink for Matt black?

I have a Canon Pro1 and used to try and keep a routine of printing (with genuine inks). I used to use QimageOne to schedule nozzle checks when I was away on holiday, but don’t bother now. I think it was shown to make no difference - possibly gleaned from Rodriguez‘ YouTube channel? It may well be different for non Canon inks.

My Pro1 turned off during a thunder storm months ago (So print head not properly ‘parked’). I turned it back on this week - huge cleaning cycle, but it has printed flawlessly.

It’s definitely worth checking out the YouTube channel

View: https://youtu.be/kOZguBbFoZ4

Edit - just to add. I don’t print borderless prints - partly because I don’t want ink on my rollers, but also I believe this adds more ink to the waste cart. The waste cart on the Pro 1 is not replaceable, unlike the Pro 1000.
I do use Canon inks. I also don’t print borderless prints and it’s not going to happen now that you have told me that. What happens with the waste cart on the Pro 1? I still have 10-15 full or quite full cartridges from my previous printer so won’t change model this time around but would be interesting to hear about it. The Matt black helps me make superb quality prints on FS papers - NST Bright White, Matt Ultra and HWS lite - the last two for handmade books. Being without a printer for a while has made me realise how important it is to my photographic process.

Last edited:
Watching this thread as part of my mission for 2023 is to shoot more and print more

Just waiting to set mine up

Attachments

• 3F5BFBD6-181C-47EB-8BE1-3BA4A3BB2EE0.jpeg
    3F5BFBD6-181C-47EB-8BE1-3BA4A3BB2EE0.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 11
Watching this thread as part of my mission for 2023 is to shoot more and print more

Just waiting to set mine up
If it's a new Pro1000 it should be straightforward , Just follow the on screen prompts.

Last edited:
We’ve had some work done recently and due to bad weather, they were cutting tiles inside the house.

Not setting up until we’ve cleaned up a bit more!

I do use Canon inks. I also don’t print borderless prints and it’s not going to happen now that you have told me that. What happens with the waste cart on the Pro 1? I still have 10-15 full or quite full cartridges from my previous printer so won’t change model this time around but would be interesting to hear about it. The Matt black helps me make superb quality prints on FS papers - NST Bright White, Matt Ultra and HWS lite - the last two for handmade books. Being without a printer for a while has made me realise how important it is to my photographic process.
I believe it’s not worth trying to replace the waste ink tank, too difficult and costly, so the printer becomes a useless lump. Is yours a Pro 1 also? I think it can take a long time. I make handmade books too :)

My printing has lapsed after the last thunderstorm and some holidays. I do feel it’s like owning a horse :LOL: something that always needs care and attention, and costs a lot to keep. (Not that I’ve ever owned a horse!)

I believe it’s not worth trying to replace the waste ink tank, too difficult and costly, so the printer becomes a useless lump. Is yours a Pro 1 also? I think it can take a long time. I make handmade books too :)

My printing has lapsed after the last thunderstorm and some holidays. I do feel it’s like owning a horse :LOL: something that always needs care and attention, and costs a lot to keep. (Not that I’ve ever owned a horse!)
No , Not true if it's a pro 1000 , Easy job and the cost of a new tank is around £14.

My printer is going to be another Pro Graf 1000 - the maintenance tanks are usually somewhere between 17 and 21 plus postage [sometimes]. And I have heard the 1000 described as a hungry horse too! I am a bit puzzled that the waste tank on a Pro 1 being full means that the printer is useless???

Last edited:
My printer is going to be another Pro Graf 1000 - the maintenance tanks are usually somewhere between 17 and 21 plus postage [sometimes]. And I have heard the 1000 described as a hungry horse too! I am a bit puzzled that the waste tank on a Pro 1 being full means that the printer is useless???
The printer is not useless , You just need to change the tank for a new empty one as I did with my unit , The printer stops working so ink does not flood ink inside the printer.

Last edited:
Re the hungry Horse , This is a result of lack of use , Each long delay between print puts the printer into maintanance mode and starts the ink line purging vacuuming ink through the lines making sure thay are clear of any blockages , Recomended to print at least twice a week to keep things flowing.

No , Not true if it's a pro 1000 , Easy job and the cost of a new tank is around £14.
Mine is a Canon Pro 1. Apologies, I was replying to @Chipper and thought I’d already said - it’s different and not easily replaceable, I believe. I haven’t faced the situation yet.

Re; the horse comparison, I agree, I meant you have to think about feeding it and exercising it every day. You can’t just leave it.

edit: I’m actually shocked at how many Canon printers have to be sent back to Canon to have their waste pads replaced… https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/content/faq/?itemid=tcm:14-1245277

Last edited:
That sounds better for you :) Its a long time since I’ve thought about it, but I did a quick Google. It seems you should send a Canon Pro 1 back to Canon to have it changed. Not an easy proposition.

Here is a hack (for a Canon Pro1), which sounds a bit scary to me - entering service mode and disabling the signal. It seems you can then attach a ’potty’ to collect the excess ink. https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pro-1-ink-absorber.11578/

Read through this with interest as my faithful Pro 1 died over the weekend so I've been looking at my options 2 that have been suggested are the Pro 1000 and Pro 300 just need to decided on which one obviously there is a big difference in price.

I assume that there Pro1000 would yield more prints from each cartridge over the Pro 300 due to the size being so vastly different I usually only print up to A3 but having the option of A2 could be interesting.

People have always commented on the quality of my prints which I was getting from the Pro 1 so which ever I go for I want to be at least as good

I've always thought using non genuine inks was a bit of a no no as it could 1 damage the printer and 2 the print quality would suffer is this not the case?

For monitoring the ink levels in the Canon Pro-100 I found that installing a set of Viewports works flawlessly. I can see the level of the inks in each tank and quickly refill them without pulling them from the printer. The website for info is ViewportPro.com

The Canon error code 1753 states: “The remaining level of the ink cannot be correctly detected. Replace the ink tank”. This is the error code that will activate the perpetual use of a Viewport equipped cartridge. The printer assumes there is a problem with the cartridge chip when there is a conflict between the calculated amount of ink used and the actual ink level remaining.

When a Viewport is installed the actual level of the ink is always visible, so the printer is not really in danger of running out of ink. When the 1753 warning appears you would simply press and hold the lower “STOP” button (inverted triangle) for 5 seconds. This will remove the warning by permanently disabling the ink monitoring function of the cartridge chip. You can now continue to use the printer as normal and refill the Viewport cartridge whenever it is low.

DSCN0002-Viewport.jpg

Also, the photo shows the door open, but it closes normally with the Viewports installed.

Last edited:
Back