Help editing

Name
Charlotte
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there, I'm an a level photography student in the UK and with the third lockdown here I'm finding it hard to communicate my ideas with a teacher that doesn't seem to care too much. I am aiming to create a surreal and fantasy piece for my final piece, incorporating a digital artist I have found (the idea of his work and the colours), my teacher wants me to go down the night photography route which is something I'm not keen on and rather than her helping me it seems she is pushing me in the direction which is very similar to another students project and not what I want.

I have one edited photograph of a colour manipulated landscape that I did yesterday, which I may be able to post (not to sure on this site yet as I have just joined)
Can anyone possibly provide some help to me?

Hi Charlotte, welcome to TP!

When I did my A level (2010), the final piece wasn't a single image and was a collection of images with lots of supporting information and writing in a book. That was in the old A/S and A2 days though. Things are different now... The main problem here is that your teacher will be the one marking it, and if they are telling you to go down a particular route, then *not* doing that could be tricky come marking time.

I'm happy to help where I can but no one here is going to be marking your work - including me - so I'm not sure what advice can be offered and I would be wary of sending you off down a road that will make things worse! Can you explain (to your teacher) why the night photography path won't work, and how you plan to tackle your assignment in the way you want? I do think your teacher is the best person to advise you on this - mainly because they're the ones marking it.

The A level principal I followed was research - shoot - evaluate - reshoot. Much emphasis was given to the thinking behind the images which I think is a strong lesson to take forward. Assuming your final piece is due May(?) Do you have a body of research and exploratory work already? If that is all geared towards surreal and fantasy landscape I'm a bit stumped as to why your teacher is suggesting another course of action.

Sorry that's not more helpful.

Thank you for a reply and your help!
Our final pieces are still a collection of images but now on Google slides and not in a book. My teacher has told me to go down a darker fantasy route which is more gothic and doesn't link to my 3 artists I chose to explore whereas my idea of a lighter fantasy, fairytale would link to what I have previously explored. I don't think it helps with me having 2 teachers that tell everyone to do different things.
Not quite sure when everything is due as nothing has really been said due to covid everything is uncertain and unclear.

Hi there, I'm an a level photography student in the UK and with the third lockdown here I'm finding it hard to communicate my ideas with a teacher that doesn't seem to care too much. I am aiming to create a surreal and fantasy piece for my final piece, incorporating a digital artist I have found (the idea of his work and the colours), my teacher wants me to go down the night photography route which is something I'm not keen on and rather than her helping me it seems she is pushing me in the direction which is very similar to another students project and not what I want.

I have one edited photograph of a colour manipulated landscape that I did yesterday, which I may be able to post (not to sure on this site yet as I have just joined)
Can anyone possibly provide some help to me?
just to add to your ideas, that photographs taken at dusk, even on a dull overcast day, can produce strong and beautiful colours that can be almost surreal. Especially when there is a mix of residual daylight with artificial lighting, such as streetlights, car lights or coloured signage. Dusk photography only lasts a short time, yet is an easy way to get stunning colours and mysterious scenes, even in bad weather.

Sometimes you need to pull a powerful image out of a hat. Dusk. Somewhere near you. From sunset.

Last edited:
my idea of a lighter fantasy, fairytale would link to what I have previously explored.

If you're linking back to work you've already explored and it's cohesive. I don't see how the teachers can complain... Having 2 teachers saying different things isn't good either.

If they want dark gothic, do a couple of Joshua Hoffine inspired pieces. I'm sure that'll go down well at the end of year Exhibition :jawdrop::jawdrop:

My first thought would be to ask why they feel the dark route is the way to go? You may find that your work so far is pointing in a direction they feel would earn you the best mark or that it doesnt support the route you want to take. They may not understand what you are aiming for. You may be to close to the subject that you want to do what you want to do rather than what would get you the best mark. Given that potentially your teachers will be marking the work thier direction may be in your best interests becuase if they are not seeing it now they may not get it when it comes to assesment.

Back