Beginner Help in lenses - Canon G15 / New camera

Name
Katye
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I used to own a Canon G15 and I was always pleased with the reach the the lens would get. It was simply easy to use, I could take normal photos, or telephoto ones.
However, I would like a better upgrade this time, and I am wondering what lens would come closer in terms of how far and how close it can reach, compared to the G15.

Here is a photo of the camera. On the same note, any recommendation for a camera and lens - budget friendly? Mostly for travelling?

frontpage.jpeg

HI there.

The spec sheet says that the camera has a 28-140mm equivalent lens and by that I suppose they mean equivalence to full frame.

I don't know what your budget is as friendly is open to interpretation :D You could go for a bridge camera or maybe a 1" compact might suit you? Other than those for quite a move up you could look at Micro Four Thirds or APS-C cameras, either mirrorless or DSLR's.

For Micro Four Thirds, mainly from Olympus and Panasonic, there's a Panasonic 14-140mm lens and that's 28-280mm equivalent so at the wide end it's the same as your current lens but at the long end it's much longer.

For APS-C there are several manufacturers of cameras either DSLR's or mirrorless cameras from Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon and there are many lenses available including 18-200 or even 18-300mm giving an equivalent range of about 28-300mm or more.

For travelling I'd personally look at a Panasonic GX80 and a 14-140mm. If you're willing to buy used GX80's can be found between £200-300 and I'd be aiming at the cheaper end as they do crop up, 14-140mm lenses can be found for between £100-200. That makes it maybe £350 + for a camera plus a lens. Is that budget friendly?

I also have a Panasonic TZ100 which is a 1" sensor compact camera with a 25-250mm equivalent lens. There's a thread about them here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-tz100.653653/

Maybe googling the different options and deciding if you'll be happy to buy used or not could help you decide which way to go?

Last edited:
It would help by being a bit more specific.
1)budget? (Second hand or new)
2)do you want a bridge camera or an interchangeable lens camera?
3)is the size and weight of the camera important?
4)what sort of photos do you intend to take? (Landscape, wildlife, sports, travel etc)

Last edited:
If you can, instead of upgrading, get an additional camera instead.

I used to have the G16, and really miss the camera, taking my 5D4 and lenses on holidays etc is just too cumbersome. I bought he G16 for £270 when it was brand new, and they're over £300 second hand now :(

Back