HELP!! Lens focusing problem+problem not fixed.

Im off guys, I want to take a couple of good portrairs. Thank you so much for help everyone. Itäs been such a stressful and tiring trip my heads litterally all over the place. Thanks again,

Luke

No problem, glad we got it sorted (y)

seriously - the best thing to learn from the manual is how to reset the dam thing - far too many options and widgety things nowadays

Problem still here guys. Ive worked out that its fine focusing if its within a few meters but anything after that and it back focuses. I went to the camera shop but they couldn't really help. What am I going to do with the wedding saturday morning? Shall I ring sigma first thing tomorrow? But won't they just say send it in?

Problem still here guys. Ive worked out that its fine focusing if its within a few meters but anything after that and it back focuses. I went to the camera shop but they couldn't really help. What am I going to do with the wedding saturday morning? Shall I ring sigma first thing tomorrow? But won't they just say send it in?

Have you got another lens with you that you can test to see if the problem is still there.

If not go back to camera shop and borrow lens to test.

You need to know if the problem is with the Sigma, or with the body.

if it is front AND back focusing its not a lens issue, its in the camera confirming focus

Its when im focusing on someone quite far away, they are not in focus but stuff behind them is. Its also the same for objects. Everything works perfectly if a few meters away or really close.

For a wedding on saturday morning your going to have to get the credit card out and buy/rent a new lens thats assuming it's not a camera problem in which case you'll need a new camera. Your going to struggle to get anything fixed in such a tight time frame, in future don't take on professional engagments unless you are properly equipped.

Have you got another lens with you that you can test to see if the problem is still there.

If not go back to camera shop and borrow lens to test.

You need to know if the problem is with the Sigma, or with the body.

Thats a great idea but I don't have time, I have got 45 mins before I leave for airport. I suppose I will have to go to town tomorrow to try a lens in jessops. I just wish there was a simple answer. Out of curiosity how do I reset the camera?

For a wedding on saturday morning your going to have to get the credit card out and buy/rent a new lens thats assuming it's not a camera problem in which case you'll need a new camera. Your going to struggle to get anything fixed in such a tight time frame, in future don't take on professional engagments unless you are properly equipped.

To be fair I can handle it manual focusing from a distance and normal up close but your right, I should have backup camera and lenses. I do have another lens but its manual focus. Do you think if I ring Sigma and tell them the situation they will re-emberse me the money when they collect the lens?

Thats a great idea but I don't have time, I have got 45 mins before I leave for airport. I suppose I will have to go to town tomorrow to try a lens in jessops. I just wish there was a simple answer. Out of curiosity how do I reset the camera?

Press the Qual & EV+/- buttons, they are marked with a green dot

Luke, where are you based?

If you are near Cambridge (or can get here) you can borrow my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 for the day if you want - I know my lens is spot on.

It could well be your body off course, I would not rule that out.

Surely it's wind up, is it April already??

just got back, need sleep. Ill ring sigma first thing and go down jessops. What is strange now is one the plane on the way back instead of the 50mm going in stops of 1.4- 2.8 etc its doing 1.4- 1.6 to 1.8 etc. Maybe the x-ray messed it up!

just got back, need sleep. Ill ring sigma first thing and go down jessops. What is strange now is one the plane on the way back instead of the 50mm going in stops of 1.4- 2.8 etc its doing 1.4- 1.6 to 1.8 etc. Maybe the x-ray messed it up!

That's what mine does. :)

What is strange now is one the plane on the way back instead of the 50mm going in stops of 1.4- 2.8 etc its doing 1.4- 1.6 to 1.8 etc.

That is normal - and a good thing. Why would you only want to only adjust in full stops?

Being honest here Luke, reading your posts, you seem to need to spend a little more time learning your gear if you don't mind a bit of frank - but well intentioned - advice.

And its not free, had camera since christmas same as lens. Thanks Puddleduck but I cant get there.

I'm with Puddleduck. You're doing these for money - you need backups (one camera is asking for trouble) and you need to sit down with the kit and learn it better. The D700 is a complex camera and needs time with it, especially if you're using it for work.

Luke mate, after seeing some of your work, I still rate you as a photographer but this is shocking stuff. You are not even sure of thirds of a stop, CL mode, the focal control mechanism, yet you are labelling yourself as a pro. Seriously, learn your kit inside out and save yourself from abject embarrassment at a wedding as this would have been a nightmare if this had happened on one of your 'paying shoots'.:nono:

In the words of Elvis, you seem like to good kid and have a good eye, so the old guard will let you off with a warning on this one. LOL.:D

Hope you get it sorted what ever it is, I expect its something simple.:thinking:

Pete.

I'm confused a bit, Luke are you only using the centre focus point? otherwise if your shooting something small far away it may well be looking at several of the focus points and focusing on those instead (which explains why it's working closer up because all or most of the points are covered by your subject) Try it on a single focusing point.
I'm also a little concerned about you doing a wedding with only one lens, no backup gear, and dare I say you don't sound very experienced with the camera? This is a asking for trouble (if I'm wrong please accept my apoligies) Wayne

I was contemplating the sigma and this sounds like the reason it put me off. When I was researching it there were issues of it missing focus at certain distances even when it nailed it at 3-4 ft or visa versa but you couldn't predict it. Does stopping the lens down a tiny bit solve the problem?

luke, i think you in trouble with this, and it prob gonna involve a trip to jessops for a new lens/camera for the wedding.

try trawling through the menus to see if there is anything you see which could be throwing it off

That is normal - and a good thing. Why would you only want to only adjust in full stops?

Being honest here Luke, reading your posts, you seem to need to spend a little more time learning your gear if you don't mind a bit of frank - but well intentioned - advice.

No thats fine but it never did that before so why now?

Luke mate, after seeing some of your work, I still rate you as a photographer but this is shocking stuff. You are not even sure of thirds of a stop, CL mode, the focal control mechanism, yet you are labelling yourself as a pro. Seriously, learn your kit inside out and save yourself from abject embarrassment at a wedding as this would have been a nightmare if this had happened on one of your 'paying shoots'.:nono:

In the words of Elvis, you seem like to good kid and have a good eye, so the old guard will let you off with a warning on this one. LOL.:D

Hope you get it sorted what ever it is, I expect its something simple.:thinking:

Pete.

I do agree to an extent but I did actuall know some of the thigs I asked but completely exausted and literally panicked and my head was a ness. I did know what CL was so god knows what was going on. Anyway I have had some sleep and im feeling much better. Going to call Sigma, then going to call jessops.

I was contemplating the sigma and this sounds like the reason it put me off. When I was researching it there were issues of it missing focus at certain distances even when it nailed it at 3-4 ft or visa versa but you couldn't predict it. Does stopping the lens down a tiny bit solve the problem?

yeah this is exactly whats happening. But its only just started too. Which is worse than it happening from the start.

I'm confused a bit, Luke are you only using the centre focus point? otherwise if your shooting something small far away it may well be looking at several of the focus points and focusing on those instead (which explains why it's working closer up because all or most of the points are covered by your subject) Try it on a single focusing point.
I'm also a little concerned about you doing a wedding with only one lens, no backup gear, and dare I say you don't sound very experienced with the camera? This is a asking for trouble (if I'm wrong please accept my apoligies) Wayne

I have two lenses but the other is manual focus. I am coming into a chunk of money in April so my plan was to get a D300 as a backup again.

I though the problem mingt be that I was focusing on something small but its not. I was testing it at the airpost last night on concrete blocks and it was definatly back focusing. It does seem to be a communication problem between the lens and body.

I do agree to an extent but I did actuall know some of the thigs I asked but completely exausted and literally panicked and my head was a ness. I did know what CL was so god knows what was going on. Anyway I have had some sleep and im feeling much better. Going to call Sigma, then going to call jessops.

Cool - I am sure it will get sorted. As I said, you are a natural photographer so maybe not having to know your kit inside out is not required, but as Radiohead says, back up kit is a good idea.

Glad you had a good trip mate.

Pete.

Cool - I am sure it will get sorted. As I said, you are a natural photographer so maybe not having to know your kit inside out is not required, but as Radiohead says, back up kit is a good idea.

Glad you had a good trip mate.

Pete.

I didn't really thats the whole point and why I didn't handle this to the best of my ability. I got some good photos though. Ill post some pics when I get a chance.

I didn't really thats the whole point and why I didn't handle this to the best of my ability. I got some good photos though. Ill post some pics when I get a chance.

Well, dont beat yourself up too much, **** happens and when you sort this you will be one issue wiser for future reference. Good experience in a way in that as others and I said with regards to this happening on a job sometime.

First time I shot pro rugby a few years back for an agency I nearly started crying as my camera would only get to about 1/50th under floodlights. I sat for 45 minutes just distraught and only seconds before kick off did I realise my 300mm had a rear drop in circ pol that I had left in from a shoot on the Saturday. I took it out and my shutter speed ramped up and got the photos, but it was another reminder about kit, kit and kit.

Well, dont beat yourself up too much, **** happens and when you sort this you will be one issue wiser for future reference. Good experience in a way in that as others and I said with regards to this happening on a job sometime.

First time I shot pro rugby a few years back for an agency I nearly started crying as my camera would only get to about 1/50th under floodlights. I sat for 45 minutes just distraught and only seconds before kick off did I realise my 300mm had a rear drop in circ pol that I had left in from a shoot on the Saturday. I took it out and my shutter speed ramped up and got the photos, but it was another reminder about kit, kit and kit.

Yeah lesson definatly learnt, its a shame though because I love how sharp the Sigma is wide open and the Nikons just don't match.

I do agree to an extent but I did actuall know some of the thigs I asked but completely exausted and literally panicked and my head was a ness.

So what happens when this occurs during a wedding? It happened to me at my first when I didn't have my flash setting to take account of high shutter speeds. Lesson learnt.

Because it will. The questions you were asking tell me you don't know the camera and your kit well enough.

I'm not having a go at you - but if you're positioning yourself as a pro then the game changes for you.

So what happens when this occurs during a wedding? It happened to me at my first when I didn't have my flash setting to take account of high shutter speeds. Lesson learnt.

Because it will. The questions you were asking tell me you don't know the camera and your kit well enough.

I'm not having a go at you - but if you're positioning yourself as a pro then the game changes for you.

Yep fair point. My head would never be a mess at a wedding its because of the trip but I do need more kit for sure. JUst a D300 and a 50mm will do.

Anyway just been out and tested and its still not working. Going to ring sigma and the local jessops.

Back