Help me choose a new Logo... Please!!

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
KJG_MC_outlines3.jpg Could you guys kindly give me your opinion on your preferred logo from the attached please?. I thought I had made a decision but canvassed random people in 2 pubs last night and 80% chose the same logo which had not even been on my radar up until then!!.
Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
I forgot to say, I'm happy with the design as it was my concept and it's not a massive deal but as a photographer you do tend to nit pick over these things and the view of Joe Public last night surprised me somewhat so I am now confused!!

Last edited:
Third row, farthest right.

5th row, in the middle. Top row look familiar?

Bmw_M_logo.png

The concept reminds me of the KPMG accountancy firm's logo.
Bottom right (the red one) is my favourite. It also gives you a single colour for your brand which might make it easier to get your brand identity into other things like posters.

5th row far right. All same colour plus has border round letters. And I guess i prefer blue.

edit: I prefer the font of the central column so id put that in my choice.

Last edited:
Thanks for al the replies so far guys. I've asked a number of work colleagues too and opinions are so divided that no real winner is emerging.. I'm more confused than ever now!!

The concept reminds me of the KPMG accountancy firm's logo.
Bottom right (the red one) is my favourite. It also gives you a single colour for your brand which might make it easier to get your brand identity into other things like posters.
And that is a very good point BUT i just can't help thinking of "KFC" when I see my initials against a red background!!. Also there are so many motor traders out there using red and I wanted to get away from that, however it may be that red is so common for good reason too?!?!

3rd Row, Right hand side (but possibly with the darker green text as above it)

I would say the red one at the bottom right hand corner. Less colour to confuse the eye and red attracts anyway.

(Mind you, red is my favourite colour, even if it does remind me too much of my tomato greenhouse heritage).

1st column - I prefer it without the borders.
Multi-colour more eye-catching, but shades of same colour looks slicker, especially the blue, but there's a risk such a conservative choice makes you look like an accountant/lawyer/surveyor etc.
As an accountant, I'd go with row 5 :D

1st column - I prefer it without the borders.
Multi-colour more eye-catching, but shades of same colour looks slicker, especially the blue, but there's a risk such a conservative choice makes you look like an accountant/lawyer/surveyor etc.
As an accountant, I'd go with row 5 :D
Many thanks and I agree that shades of the same colour look slicker. Interesting that as an accountant you chose blue as I have already decided that it looks too corporate for a small motor trader, however I also have to build a website for my H&S Consultancy firm and will be using the blue hues from the central logo on line 5 as my palette as it just lends itself to a more corporate arena I feel.

There's a reason both Deloitte and KPMG (2 of the big 4 firms) have blue as their logo...

Does it depend on the image you're trying to put forward? Are you selling cheap and cheerful, are you selling prestige or high performance for example?

If it's cheap and cheerful something intentionally more basic or dated might work to give the impression of lower cost, e.g. single colour.

If you're selling prestige or high performance the association of the top row with M Sport might help. Some sort of vertical fade also might help to give it a glossy 3d effect. (similar to the M Sport badge above)

Another thought is we're only viewing these on a black background. Is that how they will be mainly seen or will they be used on white paperwork?

There's a reason both Deloitte and KPMG (2 of the big 4 firms) have blue as their logo...
Is there?, is that because of market research and statistics showing it's power and presence in business or is it that someone chose it because they liked it?. I have no aversion to blue at all but would prefer to keep that colour pallete for my other, more corporate business I think. I'm currently trying my four favourites at business card size to see what works best at that size as that will be a major determining factor for me.

Does it depend on the image you're trying to put forward? Are you selling cheap and cheerful, are you selling prestige or high performance for example?

If it's cheap and cheerful something intentionally more basic or dated might work to give the impression of lower cost, e.g. single colour.

If you're selling prestige or high performance the association of the top row with M Sport might help. Some sort of vertical fade also might help to give it a glossy 3d effect. (similar to the M Sport badge above)

Another thought is we're only viewing these on a black background. Is that how they will be mainly seen or will they be used on white paperwork?

I don't honestly think it matters what you are selling and at what price point, it costs nothing to be professional and take pride in the look and feel of your promotional material to my mind. I've been a pro photographer for 26 years so getting things like this right matter to me a great deal hence me probably over agonising about something may others would not.
My market is/will be quite broad but mainly focussing on prestige and performance through to bread and butter mid sector and small cars. I do agree that some sort of fade or 3D shadowing would look good and I intend to try and work something up tomorrow on that score so many thanks for that.

I don't honestly think it matters what you are selling.

I think it can, very much so. Especially in branding. For example, in the choices above, you have one scheme that would be great for a Motor Company aiming at BMWs and one colour ideal for one aimed at FIATs.
FWIW, the blue ones remind me of the JML logo.

toss up between top middle and top right

I don't honestly think it matters what you are selling and at what price point, it costs nothing to be professional and take pride in the look and feel of your promotional material to my mind.

I don't think it's a matter of being less professional or taking any less pride. If anything I'd expect it to take more effort to get something to reflect low cost and still look good than it would to reflect premium. That said if you're selling prestige to mid perhaps it's less relevant.

Don't like any of them. Doubt you'll get any more or any less business because of your logo. Just pick what you like.

Don't like any of them. Doubt you'll get any more or any less business because of your logo. Just pick what you like.
Ok thanks, I assume you are a designer then?. That being the case how would you approach a brand using 3 letters against a dark background please?. If you are not design orientated but it's just personal opinion then I'd still like to hear what you would like to see please.
Fully agree that a good car at the right price will sell anyway but I'd know I had compromised rather than doing the best I could hence why I'm interested in the approach you would take and have asked for opinions here.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a matter of being less professional or taking any less pride. If anything I'd expect it to take more effort to get something to reflect low cost and still look good than it would to reflect premium. That said if you're selling prestige to mid perhaps it's less relevant.
Ok, point taken and I agree branding a low end product can be tricky, that said im not so sure low end clientele take much notice of branding and to be fair other than a few big boys I find branding across the motor trade quite dull.

Single colour costs less for printing ;)
I like the ones with the thin border, think the separation works well
Thanks for that and indeed it would make printing costs cheaper. I do like the border myself but want to try a few gradients and maybe even a reflection or metallic edge before making a final decision.

Ok thanks, I assume you are a designer then?. That being the case how would you approach a brand using 3 letters against a dark background please?. If you are not design orientated but it's just personal opinion then I'd still like to hear what you would like to see please.
Fully agree that a good car at the right price will sell anyway but I'd know I had compromised rather than doing the best I could hence why I'm interested in the approach you would take and have asked for opinions here.
No not a designer, just a consumer. I care about the car I'm buying not the brand of whom is selling me the vehicle be it new and the group behind the franchise or be it secondhand. It wouldn't influence my decision one iota compared to the product and the individual selling the product. It honestly don't matter, personally I don't like any of them, looks more accountancy than vehicles, but hey if you have the product that I am interested in and you treat me like a King then why not.

As others have mentioned, I'd look for a single colour as it is a lot cheaper to get products printed and maintain brand consistency.

No not a designer, just a consumer. I care about the car I'm buying not the brand of whom is selling me the vehicle be it new and the group behind the franchise or be it secondhand. It wouldn't influence my decision one iota compared to the product and the individual selling the product. It honestly don't matter, personally I don't like any of them, looks more accountancy than vehicles, but hey if you have the product that I am interested in and you treat me like a King then why not.

As others have mentioned, I'd look for a single colour as it is a lot cheaper to get products printed and maintain brand consistency.
Ok, I hear what you are saying and having bought from many traders myself I concur that it's about the product and the seller more than anything else.

Top Middle for me. (+ maybe with the `Motor Company` in white instead of grey)

I think I am feeling my age. I like all the 'higher' cotrast examples - all top row and all the bottom row. My thoughts are that they will stand out more on letterheads/invoices/quotes/business cards etc.

Single colour (Pantone) doesnt always work out cheaper (especially on first run), if youre doing short runs for example and looking at spending little money they will print digitally (4col CMYK). Sure spots are more consistent, but then you could use the same company or any decent print company will get the 4 colour match as close as possible to previous.

If your logo is one colour but made up of a 4 colour split (CMYK) youre still printing 4 colours so the cost is still the same. Which means your logo could be any number of colours and the cost would be the same when printing on a digital CMYK press.

Last edited:
Single colour (Pantone) doesnt always work out cheaper (especially on first run), if youre doing short runs for example and looking at spending little money they will print digitally (4col CMYK). Sure spots are more consistent, but then you could use the same company or any decent print company will get the 4 colour match as close as possible to previous.

If your logo is one colour but made up of a 4 colour split (CMYK) youre still printing 4 colours so the cost is still the same. Which means your logo could be any number of colours and the cost would be the same when printing on a digital CMYK press.
Fair enough, unless the printers is good and notifies you of that and will adjust the colour slightly...

Fair enough, unless the printers is good and notifies you of that and will adjust the colour slightly...

Yes, thats why I said a decent company. Theyd also do a hard copy proof if they were any good.

Back