Beginner Help me choose my first camera!

Name
Ignacio
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, first, thank you for taking the time to help me. I'm an industrial design student looking to buy my first camera, up to this point I've been using almost exclusively my iPhone 8 Plus to take photos, except from a few times I've used my girlfriend's Nikon D5300 and a friend's Sony A6000. I'm mostly interested in product photography as it relates to my field the most, but I sometimes snap portraits and streets.

I've been looking into the Nikon D3400 and Sony A6000, both of which are being sold for roughly the same (at least in my country). Both come in kits, the D3400 comes with a 18-55 mm lens, and the A6000 with a 16-50 mm one. Also, I've found a used D3200 for cheap, but I would prefer to get a new camera just to know everything's OK. I know the D3400 is a DSLR and the A6000 is mirrorless, but I'm still a bit lost which is right for me.

Another thing to note would be that I'm going on a 6 month trip abroad soon, and I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to come back with some good shots.

So, which one should I get as my first camera?

Thank you again for reading!

Hi and welcome to TP

Reading your post, the first thing they comes to mind.....of the Nikon and the Sony you tried what did you like the best by way of handling, controls, the files they produced?

Though your budget it seems would not stretch to the D5300, just how different is the D3400 to it?

Re: dSLR vs mirrorless ~ FWIW I have both but since getting my Olympus (mirrorless) my Canon (dSLR) has seen no more usage yet!

In general terms i would surmise that whatever you get will serve you well.

HTH a bit maybe :)

PS I think you will find a greater range of lenses for the Nikon than the Sony.....the kit lens in time you may find a bit limiting for the product photography???

PPS in regard to your trip ~ I repeat about which of the two you tried you liked the best......unless you know what you need by way of specifications, IMO your choice should be based on what you like best and are happy to pick up and use rather than "I have the best spec'ed camera but I struggle with it so I rarely use it....."

Having said that, it is you that takes the picture as the camera is only a tool, so whatever you buy do practice before you travel to be sure you are starting to get the best results you can from it!

Last edited:
For product photography, where neither you nor the subject are moving and when you can use a tripod to aid in long-shutter/narrow-aperture shots for better depth of field, you can use cheap and excellent manual lenses. You use a low-cost adapter for that. Then you can spend all the money you have saved on the sorts of lighting you need to increase the quality of your product photography.

A6000 for street: there's no fully silent shutter (if up-close and candid photography is important to you). The only small lenses that help you be inconspicuous are the 16mm and 20mm f2.8, neither of which has the best reputation. The 16-50 lens is small enough, and if you won't pixelpeep the photos, should be fine for that.

I sold my A6000 (which I bought from a guy on this site) yesterday, but only because I wanted to trade up to the few extra features of the A6500. This series of cameras is surprisingly capable, and at used prices of around 200GBP, I think the A6000 is an excellent camera.

Get a mirrorless I would, it is easier to switch from phone camera to mirrorless than phone to dslr. Due to the live exposure preview on a mirrorless. Just my opinion, not claiming to know everything.

Both will produce great images, get which feels better to you.

I've decided to get the A6000 mainly for its size + ergonomics. Both look like very capable cameras, but the Sony seems like the better fit for my current situation. I'll stick with the kit lens for now and try to lock down the basics before spending more cash. Thanks to everyone that replied!

Back