Help needed - how to photograph a Stanhope image?

Name
Tim (or Teejay)
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone here know how to take an image of a Stanhope? (For the uninitiated a Stanhope is a type of microphotograph, usually stuck inside a 19th century souvenir or similar)

This sort of thing

I'd imagine something like a microscope with camera attachment would be needed, but wondered if anyone had tried other methods?

Cheers

Tim

How big are we talkin about here? Something the size of a fly? Consider a 1:1 macro lens which would mean the subject size is directly equivalent to how much of the camera sensors area is filled - 24-35mm across approx depending on your camera type. But you can go higher magnification in other ways...

Unfortunately it's not just a case of photographing something small - that'd be too easy :D

The 'Stanhope' is a microphotograph, usually stuck to a very, VERY small piece of glass, which allows you, the user, to see a highly magnified image of what's on the tiny piece of film (around 1mm square ish). I think what's going to be needed is some form of light to 'project' the image onto something larger (and outside of the enclosing object which is usually a piece of ivory or whalebone or similar).

I was hoping someone might have already done this, but if not I'll just keep experimenting.

The difficulty will be producing the print to insert into the device. Current inkjet technology will not provide sufficient detail that the microprint when viewed at the magnification of such devices will be insufficient in quality.

Ah sorry - you misunderstand me - my father has a collection of these Stanhopes, and wants a 'postcard sized' photographic record of the images contained within them - I'm not trying to make a new one!

Ah sorry - you misunderstand me - my father has a collection of these Stanhopes, and wants a 'postcard sized' photographic record of the images contained within them - I'm not trying to make a new one!
I wonder if you ever made any progress on this. I also have a stanhope collection. I've thought about buying a microscope that could synch with my phone. Or, a very small adapter for the camera on my phone.

I wonder if you ever made any progress on this
Thanks for reviving this thread.

The Stanhope image is a new thing to me and looks worth investigating.

Laowa make a 2.5-5x Macro, I have a EF canon fit, 1mm will become 5mm on full frame, if its glass and lite carefully from the sides this may be enough?

If the microphotographs aren't attached to anything and just tiny glass cubes, you could drill a small hole in a thin panel of wood and slide them in and use a high power tourch to project the image onto a wall?

I've not heard of these before until just now, just throwing ideas out.

Good luck.

Back