Help on MPB Quote

Fuji Dave

I'm in Clover
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks hope this is in the right place, I have just checked my email and see that MPB have given me a quote to buy my Sigma 150-600mm C Canon fit, Canon 10-18mm, and a Canon 100mm macro L IS lens. They have quoted £950, as I have NEVER sold a lens to them before, are they ok to use. Plus the sigma USB dock.

Last edited:
Yep, I've sold a couple of things to them in the past. Free collection & fairly quick payment.

Yep, I've sold a couple of things to them in the past. Free collection & fairly quick payment.

Thank you Carl, the funny thing is I live here in Brighton, yet when I have tried to find their address it`s crazy. Think I will do the free collection :)

Thank you Carl, the funny thing is I live here in Brighton, yet when I have tried to find their address it`s crazy. Think I will do the free collection :)
I've dropped items off to them previously. It was a few years ago but I seem to remember arranging drop off by email. It's not surprising their address is not on their website considering the value of gear they would have. I would arrange it in advance with them and ask for a signed goods received note. I didn't ask for one when I dropped off a lens at their office but wished I had (I worried for a few hours until they confirmed they had received the lens). I chased up by email they had definitely received the lens as I had no way to prove they had received my drop off. Since I've used the option to send by their arranged delivery service as you have that peace of mind in a signed collection slip.

Last edited:
I didn't check the website as it was a few years ago I dropped off at the office. I'm kind of surprised it's on there.

But if they didn't share their address how would you know where to send stuff to? I've posted in a few times as collection wasn't convenient.

Surely they are like "webuyanycar" though and far better to sell on ebay when they have their £1 limit seller fees offers on.

For example businesses were offering me £150 for a car and I sold it for £800 odd privately.

It's up to the seller to decide if the price is what you want, but as a company they have been honest and quick with me. I've sold them plenty of kit with no problems - and bought from them. They use DPD which is one of the better couriers.

I did want a bit more than they quoted
Doesn't everybody, every time?
But if you are honest with the item description then MPB give you what they quote. End of. No arguments via Paypal or e-bay resolution centre.
And certainly a lot less fuss and hassle than trying to sell to the gear freaks on here!

My experience with MPB is that they offer about two thirds of their selling price which is a good guide for deciding on prices. Combined with free collection, that's a pretty good offer.

Selling via eBay is a potential pain but you could do well selling it on these pages.

My experience with MPB is that they offer about two thirds of their selling price which is a good guide for deciding on prices. Combined with free collection, that's a pretty good offer.

Selling via eBay is a potential pain but you could do well selling it on these pages.

At the moment, I am thinking about trying to sell on here as some members might like a chance to buy a great lens.

At the moment, I am thinking about trying to sell on here as some members might like a chance to buy a great lens.
I hope you've got the box.
No scratches above one micron long. From a smoke free home? Never been used outdoors? Nearly new and priced at 30% of retail price. Please can we see at least 6 photos?
Then you might get what MPB offer you, as long as you pay postage.

I've bought quite a bit of gear on here and never been let down and saved a load of money into the bargain!:)

Doesn't everybody, every time?
But if you are honest with the item description then MPB give you what they quote. End of. No arguments via Paypal or e-bay resolution centre.
And certainly a lot less fuss and hassle than trying to sell to the gear freaks on here!
Eh? I'd much rather buy/sell on TP. Never had any problems, can always sell for more than MPB pay and buy for less than MPB charge as there's no middle man.

Saying that I have happily used MPB in the past if they have what I'm after: have always found their service excellent.

Hi folks hope this is in the right place, I have just checked my email and see that MPB have given me a quote to buy my Sigma 150-600mm C Canon fit, Canon 10-18mm, and a Canon 100mm macro L IS lens. They have quoted £950, as I have NEVER sold a lens to them before, are they ok to use. Plus the sigma USB dock.

Personally I would see if I could get more for it on TP in the classified section as I would rather a photographer get a deal than some corporate make a profit off of my gear.

Good end choice dave , I had one of the Sony super compacts from my lad a couple of weeks ago as it looked the ideal pocket camera .but in all honesty I didn't like it and gave it back .sometimes what you wish for or desire doesn't do any better than what you already have

Personally I would see if I could get more for it on TP in the classified section as I would rather a photographer get a deal than some corporate make a profit off of my gear.
TP used to be good, I've not bought much recently, certainly not since the grand purge of sellers, but it used to be sellers wanting almost the same money as new price, or buyers wanting it for less than half price.

MPB are a business, they need to make money to pay for premises, staff wages etc. What you get for the slightly lower price is zero hassle and a quick easy way to sell the kit albeit for a lower price than private sale.

You take your choice...

Last edited:
I've sold a few things to them previously, they've always been good, even when DPD lost a 17-40 f4L. The address in the Steine is their office, but their stock is stored elsewhere, or at least it was when a friend of mine visited a few years ago.

As for prices, I've got no issues with their need to make a bit of profit, and it's zero hassle compared to Ebay.

I do think they are good, as a young lady phoned to ask if there was a problem. I said no not at all, a family member has said keep the lenses and they will buy the XT-20 for me :)

Matt Barker started the business straight out of college in 2006 and I recall when I first spoke to them he used to take phone calls. In 2013 Rich Marson, also a recent graduate, was doing emails on purchasing my kit, and he has been largely responsible for the growth of the business. Apparently they also now have a USA business based in New York and over 50 staff. They must now be massive.

Back