Help please - stuck filter

managed to find two similar items with a grippy surface, another shot in the freezer and tried the method as above. I failed again. Im starting to think it is glued on. but who would do such a thing?

Don’t need freezer, both parts will expand and contract at the same time. You press and twist. You need the towel to the table for the grip. You need to press down hard.

Send the dam thing here............I have hammers..................haha, it will twist off if you freeze it for a few mins and grip all the way round or as much as you can, don't pinch a small area and try to turn................that doesn't work try and grip with the flat of your hand, if that makes sense

Get some loctite and put a couple of dots on the lens thread, screw both back in and leave overnight. Use rubber gloves to unscrew the filter next day, the lens ring should remain in place. Superglue can be used instead of loctite in emergencies.

Get some loctite and put a couple of dots on the lens thread, screw both back in and leave overnight. Use rubber gloves to unscrew the filter next day, the lens ring should remain in place. Superglue can be used instead of loctite in emergencies.
Good plan, but what if I ever need to get the end of the lens off? Can’t see that I would but still.....

You need two of these - choose your size.
Using your hands causes the filter to distort ever so slightly and that makes it reluctant to move. You need to apply even pressure all the way round the filter.
Put one on the filter and the other on the (supposedly) non moveable barrel, twist in opposite directions, voila.

https://www.jackthehat.co.uk/filter-accessories-c-44.html

What I have is better than both of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer%C2%AE-Rubber-coated-Remover-Fujifilm-Panasonic/dp/B018I848Q2
Made of metal, and coated with very high-friction rubber. These will remove filters which are screwed on very tightly. The plastic ones don't grip so well, and are inclined to bend when you put a lot of force on them. These ones don't.

Put in freezer for 20mins, boil kettle, pour hot water into a bowl, remove filter from freezer, put the female thread part (the lens part, judging by your description of the situation) into the hot water, but only up to the uv filter thread, just for a few seconds. This may help to loosen it.

Put in freezer for 20mins, boil kettle, pour hot water into a bowl, remove filter from freezer, put the female thread part (the lens part, judging by your description of the situation) into the hot water, but only up to the uv filter thread, just for a few seconds. This may help to loosen it.

Or, if the part the filter is attached to is made of hard plastic/polycarbonate, cause it to crack due to uneven thermal expansion? :eek:

Last edited:
Petrol is good in this case.
Pour on petrol, stand back and throw a match at it.

Then throw in bin.

OK.................Nothing seems to have worked..................So stage two, smash the bugger, dent the ring and pull it off................job done

I wouldn’t dent the ring! If you oval the filter ring you will snap the other ring !

Just my 2 pennith

Did you try the rubber bands?

Try the hot water in a bowl, it will work :)

How? They are both made out of metal, there is 33% change of the inner one expand more (Even more stuck), 33% chance of them expand the same (still stuck the same amount), 33% chance of the outer expand more (looser).

There is double the chance of it not working than it does so not sure how you are confident that it will work, this isn't a bottle cap where one half is a material that doesn't react to heat. Unless the Nikon lens filter threads are made of plastic?

Last edited:
Try the hot water in a bowl, it will work :)

Actually….even if the Nikon filter thread is plastic, it'll be worse and more stuck because the filter is threaded through on the inside and the filter is metal….

I think in terms of simple mathematics, there is more chance it won't work or it'll be more stuck after putting it in hot water than it will become loose.

It didn't, but thanks

have you access to anything similar to a sheet of thickish rubber? I like the ideas suggested of pushing down on something to get grip, and elastic bands. A sheet of rubber would increase the grip further. So it’d be table->rubber->filter&lens end->rubber->hand! Push down and turn anti-clockwise.

have you access to anything similar to a sheet of thickish rubber? I like the ideas suggested of pushing down on something to get grip, and elastic bands. A sheet of rubber would increase the grip further. So it’d be table->rubber->filter&lens end->rubber->hand! Push down and turn anti-clockwise.

i like this idea, i have one of those roll up mouse mats that is just that sort of material.

Back