Help please - stuck filter

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a 77mm uv filter stuck on my 70-200 vr. The ring will not budge before the end of the lens screws off. Anyone suffered this same fate and knows how to remove it?

I’d rather not have to send it away.

T.I.A

Wrap an elastic band around the outside and try and twist

If it makes it easier, I can remove the ring so in effect i have two rings in my hand. should they twist in opposite directions? ie if I tighten the ring into the lens should that undo the filter?

Last edited:
Yes opposite

What are the two rings you speak of?

The filter and ?

Is it metal or plastic ?

Oh right ! If plastic I’d say put it in freezer overnight

If it makes it easier, I can remove the ring so in effect i have two rings in my hand. should they twist in opposite directions?

In that case...get two coasters, do like a sandwich with the filters in between and twist like you unscrew a bottle. Use some fabric between the filters and coaster to create friction.

Have you seen the filter clamps/pliers you can get ?

Looks like this

Attachments

• A64E3EB8-A896-49F8-A220-420029DF8773.jpeg
    A64E3EB8-A896-49F8-A220-420029DF8773.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 4218C82C-9A85-42B3-9850-1034C3ED50B8.jpeg
    4218C82C-9A85-42B3-9850-1034C3ED50B8.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 95
  • F9B7557A-0C1C-4C94-9F60-1193756B7B68.jpeg
    F9B7557A-0C1C-4C94-9F60-1193756B7B68.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 49CA049E-B593-494C-B681-D4A99E9F6584.jpeg
    49CA049E-B593-494C-B681-D4A99E9F6584.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 102
You need a pair of filter removing spanners. There are plenty on ebay and very cheap.
When you remove it. Lubricate the thread with some soft pencil lead, and it should not stick again.
As the two parts are different materials, either heating them up, or cooling them down should loosen them. As they will expand at different rates.

Last edited:
Get your wifes marigold gloves out, they give you extra purchase. If you squeeze too hard you lock the threads together but with rubber gloves you get the same purchase without squeezing the rings.

One of those boa kitchen utensils that has a rubber strap for loosening jar lids would work on a similar basis to the above - soft rubber and applies pressure all the way round.

The old school method is to put it flat on a leather soled shoe and twist as normal.

You will find one will expand more than the other, we use this method everyday at work albeit on different items but made out of the same metal and it works 95% of the time.

Put them in a bowl of hot water to expand them, that does the trick most times.

But they are stuck together so they both expand together.

That trick only works if you can expand the metal on the outer edge.

You will find one will expand more than the other, we use this method everyday at work albeit on different items but made out of the same metal and it works 95% of the time.

Depending on the exact purity or alloying of each of the metals involved.......either heating or cooling of both together might be required. You want one to expand/contract quicker than the other (i.e. difference in co-efficient of expansion/contraction), it only needs to be enough to 'break the grip of the threads' combined with the rubber glove method or using the filter spanners.

I guess the only way is to try it and see, it could also be the inner one expand more and it’ll get more stuck.

You have 33% of the outer one expand more, 33% both expand the same and 33% the inner one expand more.

If the 2 rings are both off the lens, warm the whole lot gently then dip just the filter into iced water for a second or two then try to unscrew them.

tried your idea @Dangermouse1964 and wore a pair of marigolds. sadly no luck. so i can tick that one off the list.

can anyone confirm which way the filter screws on. I'm sure i may be tightening it instead of loosening it.

to get the end of the lens attached onto the lens again i screw in the traditional way, righty tighty, or clockwise. I'm pretty certain the filters are also righty tighty (clockwise) am i going mad?

thanks.

tried your idea @Dangermouse1964 and wore a pair of marigolds. sadly no luck. so i can tick that one off the list.

can anyone confirm which way the filter screws on. I'm sure i may be tightening it instead of loosening it.

to get the end of the lens attached onto the lens again i screw in the traditional way, righty tighty, or clockwise. I'm pretty certain the filters are also righty tighty (clockwise) am i going mad?

thanks.

Twist anti clockwise to unscrew unless they make it the opposite for Nikon glass?

thats what i thought @Raymond Lin , trouble is, that is how i unscrew the end of the actual lens too. :( thanks.
i have tried twisting the opposite way - filter anti/lens piece clockwise but to no avail.

i have ordered a couple of filter removal tools as suggested above, but they won't arrive until saturday. Im not one for sitting around and this sort of thing really irks me!

Last edited:
thats what i thought @Raymond Lin , trouble is, that is how i unscrew the end of the actual lens too. :( thanks.
i have tried twisting the opposite way - filter anti/lens piece clockwise but to no avail.

i have ordered a couple of filter removal tools as suggested above, but they won't arrive until saturday. Im not one for sitting around and this sort of thing really irks me!

It does my head in too, I use an e cig and they get stuck regular when I need to change the coils, but a few mins in the freezer does the trick, try again, forget gloves just try a quick shift as soon as you take it out don't allow it it get any warm air on it

I’ll have another try.

Part of me is concerned that if the glass breaks I’ll severe the tendons in both my hands and never be able to take a photo again. Not that I’m a worrier :)

Why would it break?

Don’t squeeze it from the side, you’ll never undo it if you grip it. You don’t need to grip it, put a towel down on the table, put filter side down on it, place another towel on top and something hard on top like a coaster and press and twist.

The key here is a downward force. No way the glass will break and if it does, it’s behind a towel and below a coaster.

Back