Beginner Help uploading photos

Name
nik middleton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All, Ive tried doing a search and come up short, can anyone advise how I upload photos to the site for critique.

Cheers nik

advise how I upload photos to the site for critique.

I know only of one way because I have a web site and
it is to link the pictures from there.

Set up a Flickr account and use the sharing icon from your uploaded pics to that site.

Oh-Kay.. to show a photo in a post, you first need that photo 'hosted' some-where on the web.

Most usual place to host a photo is on a 3rd-Party host-site like Flikr, or Photo-Bucket, or perhaps even face-book, or similar.
ALL will have thier own 'interface' to upload a photo from your computer or similar, to thier site..... follow the instructions they provide!
This forum's administrators have, though provided a dedicated host-site within it, you could also use; see tab at top, marked 'gallery'... same rules apply, to get your photo off your computer and publishged to web, you follow hosting sites instructions... they are, on here pretty drag and drop straight forwards.

NOW... when you have a photo published to publicly accessible web-space..... then you can 'insert'... not the photo... but its address on the web, into a post on this or other forums....

slightly old fashioned way of doing this is to use tags, specifically [square-bracket] tags, but so you can see them I will type {squirly ones}, and use the 'img' tag, eg {img}https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/d...65051270-e65362df2632a7c03044105debaebd24.jpg {/img}. which would show, in post a photo of one of my old film cameras, hosted on this sites gallery... hence it's address, "https" which says 'look on the web'; "www.talkphotography.co.co.uk/" at this site... then "data/photos/ etc" which is like the floor, room number and shelf that actual photo's stored on.... web-browser program, sees that, looks at the gibberish, but because its in square brackets, recognizes its NOT something to show on screen as typed, but a command to it, to go look on that shelf in that room, on that floor of that building on that bit of the web, get whatever is there, and show that instead... and what you see when you have hit 'post' is wherever message you have typed, then the photo... eg:

15527-1465051270-e65362df2632a7c03044105debaebd24.jpg

See the pic? Ohky-kokey....

So, first you need your photo published somewhere on the web....
Then you need to know the web-address of where that photo is found...
Then you need to be able to put the command to go get and show that pic into your post...

Which I did there with base code... but if you look at the top of the dialogue box you are typing in, there is a row of icons... one of them next to a smiley face, is a box with a dot in the top right hand corner and jagged line at the bottom... its sort of similar to the common 'landscape' icon on most cameras.... THAT though is the button that tells the dialogue box you want to insert a picture, and calls up a prompt box asking for its web-address, which you can either copy and past into the space provided, or follow go find and click to get the software to do it for you... closing that prompt box, then bungs that code instruction to go find get and display the photo in your post.... without you having to use code.

Common niggle here is that folk click on pics that are on thier computer, and the machine puts the local hard drive address into the code, not a web address, and no-one elses browsers can go get, or show.... or, poster can see it, but no-one else can, or poster cant get a web-address for their pic... host site is loath to give it them, or it gives them half a dozen different link options with the address already tagged in different ways; some just link to the host site, some just a small thumb-nail pic that click links to the host sites display, or or, and NOT just the http///gubbins of a plain web-address to go get and show THAT picture... they layer it up.... and users get confuddled by the layers... but that's for you to fathom... no-one said it would be simple!

Hint.. if you find pic on the web you want to show in post, you can right click with the mouse on that pic, and get option to copy the web-address, and ONLY the web-address you can then past into tags YOU choose to use in a post.... that's what I usually do to display pics hosted on the gallery here, or on FB or PB or anywhere else, to save the faff of other peoples code and oft unwanted guff trying to insert links from my post, I dont really need or want.. but that's me, a luddite.

Just remember:-
1/ Publish Pic to to Web
2/ Get web-address for pic
3/ use tags and web-addres for pit, to tell browser to show in post.
Those are the yet steps... how they may be accomplished is myriad, though, and like when you get a new camera... READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.. the different host sites, and different form's can ALL do the same thing in different ways.

Thanks for the replies i'll start a flickr account and try again later.

If you're really lazy go to http://imgur.com. Click the big green button that says 'New Post' and go from there.

I wouldn't go that path if you were worried about people stealing your images though.

Back