Beginner help

Name
darren
Edit My Images
No
hi im new to cameras i have a samsung nx1100 im finding it all abit mind boggling how do i set everything up..from iso to shutterspeed.do i start low or high.no clue really.finding nothing on youtube.any help please

Put it on auto and shoot lots of pictures.

Read the manual

Study the pictures you’ve taken

Come and ask specific questions

Put it on semi auto and shoot lots of pictures.

Come and ask More specific questions

shoot lots of pictures.
shoot lots of pictures.
shoot lots of pictures.

Ask more questions

It’s not a washing machine, it’s a camera, the nearest comparison is playing a musical instrument, after 10,000 images or so, you’ll be getting the hang of it.

Read the manual

Study the pictures you’ve taken

Come and ask specific questions

Put it on semi auto and shoot lots of pictures.

Come and ask More specific questions

This. This is almost exactly the progression I've had.
Don't expect to be amazing all at once. Take photos because you like them, then try to examine what about it made you like it... and then move on to whether or not you could improve it, by moving a bit, changing the exposure etc.

All the above, and gradually learn to look at light and the way it falls on & reflects from the world, and how it records in photographs ( two complementary things).

Look at published photos, examine your feelings about them, be yourself but remain open to possibilty, and ask why you like them or don't.

There are a thousand ways to see, photographically. Look at black and white for a graphical distillation. Colour's more subtle in a way (and more limited in another way, being more literal).

There's light and life, and the rectangle (mostly) of a photograph is a creative confine.

To engage with the medium, forget about what you're thinking of photographing - just assess the light.

The journey is huge and endless, but it's ok to wander gently, sometimes bumping into things. Life, not photography, is the centre of life, after all.

We're not being much help, are we? Yes, delve into the user manual - it might seem like gibberish at first - and try aperture priority exposure for general purposes, and maybe auto iso (that used to be film speed in the old days), for a start ...

Exposure's one thing, & focussing's another, but they do collide in the look of the result ...

Don't be disappointed or surprised if you see your pictures seem to get worse at the beginning.
Initially you will see "the picture" you want purely by intuition, the camera will do the rest and the result is happiness.
When I for one started I was pleased with the pictures I took, but then as I read more tried more to control the camera and setting I began to feel the pictures were getting worse, not better, its only natural.
But you take more pictures read some more, and you will find that your pictures will improve again but this time you will understand what is happening and why.

Basically all camera's are the same, they capture an image (in basic terms) and you see that image. They all use aperture, shutter speed and iso (there are others, but let's not start confusing the issue with white balance, metering etc) So no matter what your camera is (even my mobile phone camera has these controls), these are the controls you have (as long as your camera has some sort of manual control capabilities). So it doesn't matter what YouTube video or tutorial you watch or read, the principles are the same. The only difference is how you access those controls on YOUR camera. So yes read the manual, it's very important.

There is a system behind all this photo stuff… sounds a little crazy
at the beginning but we all had to go through it.

• Get acquainted with the terminology and notions
  • Get to know your camera very well… RFM strategy
  • Don't take too many picture as it will screw you in front of the
    computer too long. Take pictures, yes but try to observe what
    and why things happens… understanding is better.
Don't worry, one step at the time… there is a universe ahead that is
all worth it. :cool:

You take photos by looking THROUGH the camera not AT the thing.
I've been at the game many many decades, and I did NOT spend hundreds on an all singing all danging auto everything electric picture maker, to ignore all that and have to 'faff' even more with the damn thing to make my 'settings' via menus than I did with my old clock work Zenit film camera!!!
and what you have in your hand is a pretty high end consumer point and press, that has 'some' manual capability if you hunt hard enough, not a pro-grade fully manual SLR... use as designed, stick it on Auto go take photop's, read the manual, and go take photo's, when you dont understand something in the book, and or dont get a photo like you expect,. some back and ask us why... but till then, don't fret the small stuff' go take pictures THAT is what the thing was made for, that is presumeably what you bought it for.. not to be a camera technitian come computer programmer!
Stick it on AUTO... go look THROUGH, not AT it, and take piccies!

Back