help

Name
andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys, new to the forum and to photography as a hobby, looking for some advice. I have a Nikon d5200 with a 18-200mm lens and im looking to buy a prime lens for landscape shots etc. any suggestions would be great.

What's your current lens stopping you from doing?

18mm is equal to 27mm Full Frame which is wide angle.

How wide do you want to go?

not sure to be honest im new to all this. I guess im after more of a manageable lens for majority of shots on the move as this one is quite bulky

You might find a prime lens rather limiting tbh. Any focal length can be used for landscapes, I regularly use anything from 17mm to 400mm full frame. If you find the 18-200mm a bit bulky, maybe consider the 18-55mm or 18-105mm? Both are smaller and lighter and offer a greater degree of flexibility.

thanks Trevor, much appreciated mate will have a look into one of the 18-55's

If you're a happy zoom user wouldn't buy a lens just for landscapes. A couple of the main benefits of primes can offer are a wider aperture and size and weight. Image quality can be better too but you may have to look closely to see it.

So, if you're happy enough with zooms maybe a 18-50mm could be a good choice, I don't know what the previously suggested 18-55mm is but what I'd recommend is an f2.8 as it could come in handy for low light and creative depth.

thanks Alan, its a bit of a mine field trying to pick something. I was just looking at a lens around the 16-35mm range online aswell as the 18-50/55 range. will do a bit more shopping to find one.

thanks Andy

An 18-200 is hardly a bulky lens!

it is bulky for some of the stuff I need it for, just come back from Krakow and although the shots were really good it was just a pain so a smaller size lens for that would work better for me, out in the sticks its a different story and the bigger lens don't matter.

cheers Andy

As above you will be very restricted with a prime lens for landscape photography. You could get multiple primes but that will get very expensive very quickly and will negate any weight savings. The smallest DX lenses which cover the same focal range as your 18-200 are the 18-55 and 55-200...if you go for the newest version of each you're only saving about 50 grams over the 18-200 and not much size.

As mentioned above the 18-200 really isn't that big or heavy, so if it's "too" big, you might want to consider a smaller system all together like Micro 4/3.

thanks Andy, will take it all in. there is so much out there to think of and as im knew to this im watching youtube trying to get ideas and it does get confusing.

I have a 16-85 for sale in the classifieds which is a cracking landscape lens, it gives a nice wide angle along with the ability to compress a background pretty well when zoomed.

Nikon have a 16-85, which is an excellent walk-about size lens, and probably much better quality optic than the 18-200 too - about £180 used.

If you want a genuinely small lens for landscape-style shots then try to pick up a used 24mm prime (36mm Fx equivalent):
https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Nikon-AF-24mm-f2.8--/-029211_254537.html

Or the Nikon 35 f1.8 DX - about £100 used.

The 18-55 kit lens is OK, and certainly small & cheap enough otherwise, but just not very exciting.

Back