Beginner Hi Everybody....

Edit My Images
No
Ok, so I recently acquired a Minolta X-300 and am now on the market for lenses & a shutter release cable.

After doing some research, I see the X-300 uses an SR mount. Does this mean that any lens with an SR mount fitting , I can just attach straight to the camera body or do I need an adapter?
I know Tamron made an SR mount adapter for the Adaptall lens range but I am assuming that is in order to use Tamron specific lenses that didnt have the SR fitting? Is that correct?

I am a serious newbie so I'm trying to get to grips with the basics amd dont want to spend money on the wrong things.

If anyone could clear this up for me, I would appreciate it a lot. Equally if anyone could share any links to lenses or shutter release cables, I would be beyond grateful amd I apologise if this is a ridiculous question.

[emoji16]

I apologise if this is a ridiculous question.

The only ridiculous question is:
— "why didn't I ask that question?"

Welcome Gems85☆

I cannot help you more than that since the only Minoltas
I knew were the SRT 101 and the XM… 40+ years ago!

Hi Gem, the Minolta X300 used Minolta MD/ MC mount lenses. The SR mount is the older version.

There are plenty of used camera dealers with a good selection of Minolta lenses for sale. Ffordes are a good starting point, I've bought from them before. Just be sure to buy the MD/ MC mount as the ones listed as Minolta AF use a different mount.

Do you want prime lenses or zoom lenses? The Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5 constant aperture zoom was made at a time when Minolta collaborated with Leica and was good enough that Leica rebranded it for their own SLR system. The 28mm f2.8 Minolta lens tends to be quite cheap and easy to find but gives nice results. The Minolta 24mm f2.8 is a good lens whether you buy the MC Rokkor or MD Rokkor version. Any of the Tamron adaptall lenses will work if you get the Minolta mount for them. I have the 135mm f2.5 and it is a good performer. Also the Vivitar Series 1 range of lenses are generally well regarded.

You can buy any standard threaded cable release for your X300. It just screws in to the right of the lens mount (when viewed front on).

Hi Gem, the Minolta X300 used Minolta MD/ MC mount lenses. The SR mount is the older version.

There are plenty of used camera dealers with a good selection of Minolta lenses for sale. Ffordes are a good starting point, I've bought from them before. Just be sure to buy the MD/ MC mount as the ones listed as Minolta AF use a different mount.

Do you want prime lenses or zoom lenses? The Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5 constant aperture zoom was made at a time when Minolta collaborated with Leica and was good enough that Leica rebranded it for their own SLR system. The 28mm f2.8 Minolta lens tends to be quite cheap and easy to find but gives nice results. The Minolta 24mm f2.8 is a good lens whether you buy the MC Rokkor or MD Rokkor version. Any of the Tamron adaptall lenses will work if you get the Minolta mount for them. I have the 135mm f2.5 and it is a good performer. Also the Vivitar Series 1 range of lenses are generally well regarded.

You can buy any standard threaded cable release for your X300. It just screws in to the right of the lens mount (when viewed front on).
Thanks so much for all the info you.

So just to clarify, any lens with the MD/MC mount will fit directly onto my camera body WITHOUT the aid of any adapter mounts or do I need to buy mounts specific to the brand of the lens first?

Thats one of issues thats throwing me off.

The only lenses that need an adapter mount are the Tamron adaptall lenses. Any other lenses from 3rd party manufacturers have fixed mounts and you would have to make sure that they were made for the Minolta MD/ MC mount.

Back