Hide étiquette

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
There are several council and reserve hides around my area and I have never been in one before.
I am awaiting arrival of my sigma 150-600 and am looking forward to using it in the hides......
What am I letting myself in for ?

Down here, there are several serious shooters and sometimes
up to 8 in there. All spend different lengths of time and at other

period of day but its all a communal atmosphere where smart
phones and tablets are circulated from one to the other.

The only thing is arriving or leaving… paying attention not kicking
tripods legs coming from all directions etc.

I speak for all, here, but whenever one is coming or going, there
is a quiet greetings protocol and, for sure, new pictures to see.

Last edited:
They can be great and are either free or available for a small annual sub. The quality of construction can vary a great deal and some times opening and closing times can be a pain along with secure parking.

Generally avoid weekends and school holidays at popular venues. Be prepared to accept that many people are noisy and never enter or leave quietly,allow children to run around the hide,bring their dogs,bikes,prams etc in to the hide and may hold long conversations on their telephone. This is more prevalent in the public hides-those on reserves are generally much quieter.

Some hides are not very stable and people moving in/out and about can be a problem.

Although most photogs are considerate there are some which will hog a favourite spot for hours, spreading their kit out over at least 2 spaces, and using their camera as a machine gun. However others can be both helpful and friendly.

Members of the public often want to engage in conversation just when you want to concentrate but very often they have good local knowledge which can be put to good use if you listen.

Give them all a go.

Good luck
Regen

Yes public hides can be a tad noisy, but the pay off is that the birds don't seem to notice people chatting, shutter noises.
Kids screaming, running around the seats, jumping is a different matter but the parents, normally mothers don't hang
around long when the kids complain there's nothing to see, don't seem to realise kids have scared them all;)
But once things are quiet the soon return, even the kingfishers at my local hide don't seem to upset by normal chat.
In my experience is it more often the groups of twitchers that moan about people chatting and then wave their arms and very loudly
announce the sighting of a new bird :banghead:

I can probably guess the answer but how many people, or positions, would the average hide hold ?

Depends on size.
On my local reserve one of the hides is 4/6 people comfortably
the others can hold at leas twice that amount if not more

I can probably guess the answer but how many people, or positions, would the average hide hold ?

This is where things are getting complicated.

On the race track or at a stage concert, all lens point in
the same direction at the same time.

At the marsh, it is a bit more chaotic as there is action
everywhere and the AoV is quite wide… so your lens
goes to the left and the guy at your left wants to shoot
on the right.

Don't get in there if it's crowdy already.

Wasn't aware race tracks or concerts had hides, well never seen them at ones I've attended :thinking:

If you are with Bestbelived, you do not ever let your lens protrude from the window slit. Apparently, birds are very sensitive to this.

On a recent visit to a RSPB Reserve my wife and I had some interesting etiquette experiences in one of the hides. We arrived mid-morning and many of the seats were taken, but not occupied. Most of the bench seats can take 2 or 3 adults to look through a specific viewpoint. Interestingly, on this occasion, some individuals had spread themselves out over a single bench, leaving a coat and other equipment to ensure that no-one distubed their claimed place. To make matters worse they had then decamped to a bench on the other side of the hide - usually with their scope/binoculars and camera.

Maybe it is just me, but I would consider this to be very bad manners, as such people are denying access to others. To make matters worse, when I decided that it was rather unfair that one person should occupy the whole of a bench and stop others using it, I asked politely whether that person would mind if I sat down. My remark was completely ignored and the person involved physically tried to spread herself to stop me sitting down, though she was standing behind the bench stopping others accessing it. When I sat on the end of the bench (she still had more than two thirds of it from behind) I was treated to some unpleasant loud remarks by the person involved. Again this response was, in my opinion, not necessary for to act in this way, ie trying to occupy seats on both sides of the hide and becoming unpleasant at the idea of sharing, is the height of bad manners. It is saying, in fact, that that particular person is more important than anyone else in the hide as well as being a failure to recognise that we all have the same rights and responsibilities. It is worth pointing out that the person who was so rude to me and others in that particular hide gained no support, and, with their partner, soon left, to the relief of all present.

One would expect that, even in hides, good manners might prevail, but, as a warning, it is clear that, as in life, this will not always be the case.

In our experience this is a very isolated case, as we have found most people who use hides are the complete opposite, extremely helpful and willing to share seating and information with everyone around. The fact is that we are all enthusiasts and are there for the same thing, so it is better to do as much as we can to help each other. That way the level of continuing enjoyment from our shared pastime increases with each visit.

Thanks guys. My new lens should arrive tomorrow ( along with the rain no doubt ) so be warned people, If you are within 50 miles or so of Oxford you may find a newbie in the hide with you. :)

Common sense and decency, oh that such would prevail...lol

A wee bean bag would be of use Graham to hold the hood on the window ledge ( without it protruding ), although I've never found my protruding hood to be that much of a problem in well frequented hides....

A wee bean bag would be of use Graham to hold the hood on the window ledge ( without it protruding ), although I've never found my protruding hood to be that much of a problem in well frequented hides....

Which raises a good point. I have never been in a hide so the first time may just be a recce to see what people are using ( and taking up space with ) by way of tripods or monopods etc.... do they all have benches under the windows ?

do they all have benches under the windows ?
No they do vary, some all benches/chairs, some none and some half-n-half ... I find a good large beanbag far more useful that my tripod in 90% of cases.

I went to have a look at one on coate water in Swindon yesterday as a recce, to find it padlocked with a notice to enquire at the kiosk half a mile away in the car park...lesson number one in research learned...

I went to have a look at one on coate water in Swindon yesterday as a recce, to find it padlocked with a notice to enquire at the kiosk half a mile away in the car park...lesson number one in research learned...
You're better off with the ones at South Cerney. I think the vandalised ones are reopened now.

:D Don't you just love it when that happens!

My Mrs accidentally dropped the thing that closes off the "window", great big thing hinged at the top, no idea what it's called, anyway it swung down and hit an elderly lady across the rear top of her head and nearly killed her (the elderly lady not my wife). I dont recommend you do that, the other group werent very pleased, obviously we appologised profusely and asked if they wanted us to get a doctor or first aid kit, they left shortly after, so did we.

Matt

Make sure (if your camera has it) that focus confirmation beep is turned off! I was in a hide a couple of years ago & someone had it enabled ............ grrrrr :bat:

I am off to do a recce at a couple of sites ( lakes ) today. I will be taking the camera and my new sigma 150-600 but doubt if I will use it today. Mostly I want to have a look and see how busy they are etc.

But please not crisps or any drink with a straw where you feel you have to extract the last molecule of liquid from the carton [emoji1]

It always astonishes me that crisps seem to be the go to food in hides. I have even had them supplied as lunch when at a paid hide!

The public hides round me seem pretty much limited to elderly men with large tripods who all know each other, talk very loudly, and object to strangers, especially female ones, joining them.

Birders in hides are usually keen to tell you what they've seen and help beginners to identify birds - don't hesitate to ask.

Free-range children can be a bit of a pain sometimes. I have been known to mutter about them loudly in the hope that the parent will get them under control.

The joy of sharing a hide with folks who use scopes on tripods to loudly observe geese 1/2 mile away in the estuary whilst the small finch in the bushes just in front of the hide disappears from your viewfinder!

On a recent visit to a RSPB Reserve my wife and I had some interesting etiquette experiences in one of the hides. We arrived mid-morning and many of the seats were taken, but not occupied. Most of the bench seats can take 2 or 3 adults to look through a specific viewpoint. Interestingly, on this occasion, some individuals had spread themselves out over a single bench, leaving a coat and other equipment to ensure that no-one distubed their claimed place. To make matters worse they had then decamped to a bench on the other side of the hide - usually with their scope/binoculars and camera.

Maybe it is just me, but I would consider this to be very bad manners, as such people are denying access to others. To make matters worse, when I decided that it was rather unfair that one person should occupy the whole of a bench and stop others using it, I asked politely whether that person would mind if I sat down. My remark was completely ignored and the person involved physically tried to spread herself to stop me sitting down, though she was standing behind the bench stopping others accessing it. When I sat on the end of the bench (she still had more than two thirds of it from behind) I was treated to some unpleasant loud remarks by the person involved. Again this response was, in my opinion, not necessary for to act in this way, ie trying to occupy seats on both sides of the hide and becoming unpleasant at the idea of sharing, is the height of bad manners. It is saying, in fact, that that particular person is more important than anyone else in the hide as well as being a failure to recognise that we all have the same rights and responsibilities. It is worth pointing out that the person who was so rude to me and others in that particular hide gained no support, and, with their partner, soon left, to the relief of all present.

One would expect that, even in hides, good manners might prevail, but, as a warning, it is clear that, as in life, this will not always be the case.

In our experience this is a very isolated case, as we have found most people who use hides are the complete opposite, extremely helpful and willing to share seating and information with everyone around. The fact is that we are all enthusiasts and are there for the same thing, so it is better to do as much as we can to help each other. That way the level of continuing enjoyment from our shared pastime increases with each visit.
I would sweetly enquire if their name is *insert name of hide* and if they state it's not ask does that mean they really don't own it? Followed by going out the door to find a better crowd!

Generally I find most people are ok. Just have to accept that on weekends and holidays the chances of kids being around is the norm.

What does pee me off however are people like the woman in a local hide a few months ago who came in five minutes before the resident kingfisher arrived when it landed proceeded to try and squeeze in the gap between the hide window and myself saying " you don't mind if I just take a couple of shots do you". My answer of " I haven't been sitting here for the last 3 1/2 hours waiting for this to let you have my place" didn't go down very well. She told me I was unhelpful and greedy.

Couldn't disagree but I had the shots of the kingy and she didn't.

Most of the time hides are fine, just be considerate to others as not everybody has the same priorities as photographers. People with the local knowledge are usually willing to assist if you treat them with respect and will provide great advice that will reduce your learning curve. People hogging entire benches, pushing in or staying in the best location for hours are not always appreciated. You need to accept some people are noisy but they tend to get bored quickly and move on.

Using a tripod in some hides is not that feasible, a bean bag or similar is better.

OK, I went to one of the local(ish) hides for a recce, pleasantly surprised. It had 6 or 7 windows and bench seats ( very uncomfortable :) ) for 12 if I remember correctly, though it was empty all day. There was a big box built into the hide which contained what was presumably bird food. A shelf holding a visitor record book and half a dozen bird I D books which I found impressive.
The Grass/weeds between the hide and the lake edge were so high that I couldn't see the bank edge or first (20 feet ?) of the water but I dare say there is a schedule for cutting it ?

There was a 9 or 10 inch wide shelf all around about 9 inches under the windows which pussled me a little. I am not sure what you would use..... a ball head on a G clamp would probably work.... people recommend a bean bag but I don't see what you would do with it except hang it over the window sill and I can't see that working.......

Anyway, Pleasantly surprised as I said, and I will be going to look at some there soon.

OK, I went to one of the local(ish) hides for a recce, pleasantly surprised. It had 6 or 7 windows and bench seats ( very uncomfortable :) ) for 12 if I remember correctly, though it was empty all day. There was a big box built into the hide which contained what was presumably bird food. A shelf holding a visitor record book and half a dozen bird I D books which I found impressive.
The Grass/weeds between the hide and the lake edge were so high that I couldn't see the bank edge or first (20 feet ?) of the water but I dare say there is a schedule for cutting it ?

There was a 9 or 10 inch wide shelf all around about 9 inches under the windows which pussled me a little. I am not sure what you would use..... a ball head on a G clamp would probably work.... people recommend a bean bag but I don't see what you would do with it except hang it over the window sill and I can't see that working.......

Anyway, Pleasantly surprised as I said, and I will be going to look at some there soon.

Glad you hd a good experience :)
Tall reeds can be a nuisance but hopefully, as you say, there will be a cutting schedule.
The shelf has many uses, lean on, writing down sightings, fixing scopes for the 'birders', coffee flask etc.
I almost always use my well-filled beanbag draped over the sill and that seems to hold my kit very well.

[QUOTE="gramps, post: 7955967, member: 30811" ]
I almost always use my well-filled beanbag draped over the sill and that seems to hold my kit very well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Gramps, you are being very helpful in this thread.
I guess the term WELL FILLED bean bag must be it, I can imagine all the beans falling down either side of the sill and leaving just a couple of layers of cloth protecting it.

Thanks for that Gramps, you are being very helpful in this thread.
I guess the term WELL FILLED bean bag must be it, I can imagine all the beans falling down either side of the sill and leaving just a couple of layers of cloth protecting it.

I suppose it depends on the type of beanbag you have, mine is large and split into three filled sections so effectively one inside, one on the sill and one outside ... it seems to provide extra thickness to the sill as well as the protective support. Unfortunately the stockist no longer does this type of beanbag so I am going to have to look for another source of supply before it wears out! :)
There are some 'U' shaped bags available but these tend to be on the small side and I would want something fairly substantial for my kit (camera + 500 prime).

Last edited:
Back