HiFi - Integrated amplifier advice.

Yamaha do a streaming thingy that also supports multi room. Works with apple airplay and straight Bluetooth. Seems ok via RCA. Richer Sounds have them.

I bought an audioengine B1 to stream tidal after reading the reviews, I can't hear any difference between tidal master CD or Vinyl when streaming tidal master from my phone

My new Exposure amp arrived this afternoon and after inspecting and plugging it in it works just about perfectly.

The supplied remote control is different to the one I saw in a review on line and looks much better and surprisingly it also works for my ancient Arcam CD player too allowing me to open and close the tray, select tracks and skip tracks etc. Disappointingly although it has a big red on/off button this doesn't work and you need to push the button on the amp which is imo a bit of an oversight. Also there were no batteries in the box and I can't remember ever buying anything with a remote that didn't come with batteries. Another oversight there.

The sound quality is as you'd expect very nice and although it may just be my imagination better than that of my Arcam amp.

The first cd tracks I listed to were from Fleetwood Mac's Rumours followed by a couple of Eric Clapton tracks and then all of Iris DeMent's My Life and in there somewhere I listened to a tape of someone who passed 40 years ago on the tape deck.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and gave advice and opinions and added other interesting stuff too. I did compromise and do without tone and balance controls and I also realised I no longer have the option to plug two sets of speakers in but never mind. I also spent way more than I initially intended to but such is life and the amp I now have at least fits the slot so I don't need to reorganise the room, sounds good and was made in the UK.

Last edited:
I bought an audioengine B1 to stream tidal after reading the reviews, I can't hear any difference between tidal master CD or Vinyl when streaming tidal master from my phone

that looks interesting, Id found an iFi one thats well thought of for similar money last night Not sure how none of these havnt come up in my research.
Do you find that the device you stream from - phone or PC - controls volumn and the amp does as well? Is there a best practice i.e set one to max and use the other to control?

that looks interesting, Id found an iFi one thats well thought of for similar money last night Not sure how none of these havnt come up in my research.
Do you find that the device you stream from - phone or PC - controls volumn and the amp does as well? Is there a best practice i.e set one to max and use the other to control?

I stream from my phone , set the amp to a mid point and control the volume with my phone, I've been really happy with it, had it for about 2 years, it's the only piece of HiFi I've never felt the need to upgrade, it just works

I'm a bit of a hifi nut, not the full on £500 for mains lead kind though

I buy everything used , you get much more for your money

A month ago I bought a quad 99 system with a 909 power amp feeding my spendor S6e speakers

It sounds like nothing I've ever heard before

View attachment 305113

My advice when the pandemic is over would be if you have to buy new find a dealer with a demo room and listen

There can be a downside though , I went to richer sounds with a £200 budget for headphones

These are £200, yes they sound great

These are on offer at £250 , wow yes much better

And these are £350

SOLD :D
Ooooh nice set up there. An old workmate told me recently that he’d just binned “a load of stereo stuff I’ve had in the loft for years. It was just old stuff though”.
I asked him a few questions about it and it turned out to be “some orange and brown stuff. Quad? Something like that. There were some big speakers that looked like radiators too.” Obviously Quad electrostatics. Doh :oops: :$

Ooooh nice set up there. An old workmate told me recently that he’d just binned “a load of stereo stuff I’ve had in the loft for years. It was just old stuff though”.
I asked him a few questions about it and it turned out to be “some orange and brown stuff. Quad? Something like that. There were some big speakers that looked like radiators too.” Obviously Quad electrostatics. Doh :oops: :$

I know a guy who used to have the recycling contract for a local tip , before smartphones you'd be amazed at the HiFi that got thrown away , a relative dies, generally people have no idea of the value of top hifi so think, it's old, who'd want that.

He still gets the odd thing but nothing like it was 20 years ago because people are switched on to, i'll just have a look on ebay , obviously not your mate though who'd probably just thrown 2k away

I know a guy who used to have the recycling contract for a local tip , before smartphones you'd be amazed at the HiFi that got thrown away , a relative dies, generally people have no idea of the value of top hifi so think, it's old, who'd want that.

He still gets the odd thing but nothing like it was 20 years ago because people are switched on to, i'll just have a look on ebay , obviously not your mate though who'd probably just thrown 2k away

I remember those days, and the guys at the tip were happy for me to take it then. Wish I'd kept the technics separates system I picked up, even though it's not to the standard kit kit discussed in the thread. Still have a couple of amps, speakers and a 6 CD changer.

The only thing I find annoying with bluetooth is

If I'm streaming music from my phone to the audioengine and if I start looking through Facebook ,as you scroll every now and then there'll be a video advert that starts playing but it connects to the hifi and cuts the music off until I scroll past it

I’ve just fried my brain - and no I wasn’t sitting to close to a router or had a long phone conversation!

If I connect my phone to an echo dot via Bluetooth and that is connected to an amp via mini jack to rca cable what is doing what.
Which item is providing DAC?

Also the volume can be controlled by both the amp and the echo dot is there a best practice?
Amp full echo set to level wanted or vice versa? Or doesn’t matter?

Thanks

So if I bought a Bluetooth DAC such as the iFi or Audioengine B1 and connected via optical out/in the Amp would provide the DAC?

But connected by RCA the Bluetooth DAC would provide the DAC?

Thanks

So if I bought a Bluetooth DAC such as the iFi or Audioengine B1 and connected via optical out/in the Amp would provide the DAC?

Yes
Optical connection between ifi/b1 and amp, the amp dac is used. Rca connection between ifi/b1 and amp then dac in the amp isn't used.

Last edited:
Thanks

Yes, if your amp has digital inputs, then it must have a DAC, and if you keep the path digital all the way to the amp, that is the one that will be used. There will be compression if you stream via Bluetooth rather than wifi, though. To minimise the effect of this on the sound quality, your phone and your Bluetooth gadget must both support the same high quality codec (looks like the B1 does aptX HD, but your phone might not).

Streaming via wifi should be more robust than Bluetooth (you shouldn't get the interruptions Darren mentions, compression won't be applied, and it works over a longer distance) but this can be more complicated.

With Android, you can stream to a Chromecast or to a device that has Chromecast support built in. Google also used to make a Chromecast Audio dongle with optical digital output, but this is now discontinued (the regular Chromecast only has HDMI). One issue with the Chromecast is that its streaming protocol doesn't itself support gapless playback, so you'll get slight gaps between tracks unless you use an app that can stitch them together before streaming, like HiFi Cast:

This app, and various others, can also stream to UPnP renderers, which are built into many connected audio devices like receivers and smart TVs. This streaming may or may not be gapless, depending on both the app and the renderer. Since the UPnP renderer built into my Denon receiver isn't gapless, I use a Raspberry Pi as a gapless renderer, which then connects to my receiver via HDMI. The easiest way to do this is probably to run Kodi on the Pi, e.g. with LibreELEC, which includes all the necessary software:

If your amp doesn't have HDMI, companies like HiFiberry make optical output boards that slot into the Pi, as well as DAC boards if you need them:

If you want to stream something like Tidal to a UPnP renderer, you can use BubbleUPnP:

If you have an iPhone rather than Android (or want to stream from iTunes) you'll probably want to use Airplay instead, which is also built into various devices. Since my Apple TV failed, I've been doing this with a Raspberry Pi and LibreELEC, which can render Airplay audio as well as UPnP. I find this is the easiest way to stream gaplessly from my PC, using iTunes.

Last edited:
Retune that’s fantastic info, going to have to digest all that.

So far I’m trialing the amp and speakers in a new room. Lockdown does have its uses - I’ve sorted out loads of annoying little jobs I have been putting off and heading outdoors instead. The amp doesn’t have an optical in so will need to look at any wireless item carefully.

We are a mixed use household, apple phones, android tablets and windows Laptops so would ideally want all in one but I also have redundant phones that could be utilised just for streaming.

I got interested in these Brennan things... until I read lots of comments about them being unreliable. I'd want something that worked not something that turned into a hobby. Anyway, this is one...

They do one which looks like a radio...

Does anyone own anything like this? I think these ones are built around a Raspberry Pi.

@Retune so right mate its all digital now, an amp without a USB DAC for me is just a dinosaur :)

Rejigged my HIFI in the main room into a much smaller cabinet today, seeing as I only have the AMP and a few digital devices.
Grabbed this local off Facebook Market Place for £40

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-20 at 17.09.12.jpeg

I use my little system every day now. I get a little free time on a morning so on it goes :D The Kinks this morning :D I have lots of their stuff but hadn't realised they originally did "Stop Your Sobbing" which the Pretenders then had a hit with. You live and learn :D

Plus I spoke to someone about my faulty Arcam and might get it repaired.

i sat and listened to a remaster of Abbey Road yesterday that has been done from the old tapes and wow just wow :)

I have just about everything Beatles on vinyl but no CD's. At one time the Beatles was all I listened to :D

I have just about everything Beatles on vinyl but no CD's. At one time the Beatles was all I listened to :D

recently there was a big remaster on all there stuff, i think it was when they sold all there rights to apple.
i have the full digital box set, its been done very well indeed

recently there was a big remaster on all there stuff, i think it was when they sold all there rights to apple.
i have the full digital box set, its been done very well indeed
Stop it!

I'm off to Amazon...

Is this it?

yes thats it the Apple one, also available on a digital USB :) at the better sample rate
the CD's will still be only at 44.1/16 bit (CD red book standard) the remastered digital rate is 44.1/24 bits and they have also done a super deluxe abbey road version at 96/24 bits see below

4 Disc Abbey Road Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition – The BEATLES

Last edited:
Paul, please don't post anything else like this today as I've now had to get my money out :D Please leave anything else until tomorrow :D

Paul, please don't post anything else like this today as I've now had to get my money out :D Please leave anything else until tomorrow :D

no probs mate :)

personally i think if you are a super Beatles fan the Apple box set is a no brainer.
nothing will ever get done like that on their stuff again.
and it sounds fabulous.

I have a CD writer so I could put the stuff that's on LP and isn't in the box set on CD. The Beatles Rarities, At the BBC etc plus those red and blue compilation albums.

Thanks for the pointer :D

Definitely stay away from this page!:

I seem to have missed the boat on the 6 disc release of Sgt Pepper, which was expensive enough at £45 a few years ago:

Someone on Amazon wants £174 for it now...

Last edited:
I think the biggest issue will be if you want physical media which is why going digital makes so much sense now.

I seem to be a bit old fashioned now so I like things I can hold in my hand and preferably with a booklet inside which I can take out and read :D I was thinking about buying some Beatles CD's so this is no great unexpected expense plus of course there are some issue with vinyl whereas CD's keep me going a bit longer.

It's amazing how much a little change can reinvigorate an interest. I hadn't been using the hifi because the Arcam amp was such a pita to use but since the new Exposure amp arrived I've used it whenever I can and have been rediscovering lots of stuff.

absolutely agree although i have my big room system and have added the Yamaha HS8s to my home office as earlier and wow i am just listening all day now, its fabalous

I can only listen at certain times but when I can I do.

I see the red and blue compilation albums are easy enough to find on CD and even the Beatles at the BBC but the Rarities album is very rare. I have the LP so could copy it onto a CD.

There's another CD compilation called 'Past Masters' that I think covers the stuff on 'Rarities':
I once ripped the 'Hollywood Bowl' album from cassette and played that for years until it eventually came out on CD. I quite like the idea of the mono album box set that a lot of audiophiles seem to rave about - my CDs are the original versions from the late 80s where the first four are in mono and the others are stereo. At the time, they were, of course, touted as the best possible versions. Since then, we've had remastered complete mono and stero remasters, followed by the new remixes of selected albums, surround sound DVDs, etc. But there's a limit to the number of times I want to buy the same album! Must be easier to listen to the latest stereo remixes on headphones, though - I use the Meier crossfeed filter mentioned upthread to tame the wide stereo separation on the older mixes.

The Rarities one I have on LP is this one...

I haven't played it for years so it should be in reasonable condition. I'll power up the CD writer and copy it to CD. The highlights for me are "Across the universe" and "I'll get you."

Took delivery of an iFi Zen DAC today, connected the laptop as a temporary source while I wait for other cables to arrive, so much better then connecting an echo dot via 3.5mm cable. So much clearer between the different elements of a track.

Back