High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

SON06301_edited-2_zpsc755i3az.jpg
Glen that's really nice ,did you pp much on the shot

What happened to the FZ1000?
Another amazon order that never materialized, think it was seller accs being hijacked and dodgy deals being offered in sellers name. Last one was Bellseal, which after a little digging showed they sold bath seals and such, all of a sudden they were selling hi-end electronics. lots of it happening in Germany amazon but also UK.
Ordered from a camera store in Dublin today.

Good start. There's quite a lot to learn, especially if you are unfamiliar with Sony menus. Incidentally Imlooked at your Flickr and like the IR and Iceland shots. I'll be taking my RX10 iii to Iceland in February.

Cheers Glen, I've never had a Sony, so this layout and menu system is totally new to me.
I'm sure I'll work it out though.
It's an impressive piece of kit.
I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it.

Iceland is fantastic, I loved every second of it. Was shooting from 06.00-23.30
It's one weird country, landscape wise.
Happy shooting when you get there.
Derek

You need at least ACR 9.5.1 (9.7 is the current version) so it's worth checking that you're up-to-date. If your version of PS doesn't support ACR 9.5.1 you can use the stand-alone DNG convertor.

<Later> A bit of research led me to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2144908 which describes how to update PSE manually to the latest version of ACR. So PSE14 which officially stopped updating at ACR 9.5 is now on 9.7. :D
I expect PS can be updated the same way.

Last edited:
I've just pre ordered the Panasonic fz2000 from jessops, They've got a good deal on (12 months i.f.c with no deposit, and a free Vlog upgrade) couldn't say no! Looks like Christmas is coming early this year !!!

That'll be interesting as I understand the FZ2000 is even more video-orientated than the RX10s.
I hope Christmas comes early......

So do I, I was about to buy the Sony rx10iii a few weeks ago, but then Sony ramped the price up, so I decided against it.
Now I'm really glad I held off. I think the Panasonic will suit my needs far better (I plan to shoot plenty of 4k video, and will couple the fz2000 with the atomos ninja flame)
The rx10iii is a great camera, but sony's greed has cost them a customer.

Ignore iPad failed to post image

Last edited:
What this on the FZ1000? What were the settings you used? The sharpness is incredible!

This was taken on a sony rx 10 iii, settings were, iso 250, f8 , exp time 13 secs , manual mode, with a 10 stop nd filter, tripod and 2 sec timer.
Taken while on a wobbly bridge. Thought for sure the shot would be blurry, but it turned out ok in the end.

This is a Heron who flew up into a distant tree on our walk today. The light was poor and subsequently a fair bit of noise, with an ISO of 1250. I have taken others with a lower ISO, but wanted to try out a demo of Neat Image, on a tricky subject. I would appreciate your thoughts on the result please, having tweaked it further in Photoshop. At the moment I'm only taking JPEG's not RAW and not using Lightroom. Thank you in advance!

This is a Heron who flew up into a distant tree on our walk today. The light was poor and subsequently a fair bit of noise, with an ISO of 1250. I have taken others with a lower ISO, but wanted to try out a demo of Neat Image, on a tricky subject. I would appreciate your thoughts on the result please, having tweaked it further in Photoshop. At the moment I'm only taking JPEG's not RAW and not using Lightroom. Thank you in advance!

DSC00728edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Interesting result, its a tough call, the software has certainly reduced the noise but the result is a peculiar smooth effect. Not saying its bad, just different. I think the subject matter will play a huge part in whether or not the process works, the thing with some shots is that you will lose all fine detail and with others the fine detail wont matter.
I must try that neat image out myself.

The above shot of mine of a Tern ? or what ever it is was shot at 800 iso, while the overall look of the shot to me is ok, there is a loss of detail due to noise, I think subject matter will play a big part in what iso limit we can live with.

Back