High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

thanks for the input guys will go read a few reviews of the fz1000 and the rx10 and hopefully can make a decision.

I have still got my FZ1000, but went for the RX10 MK3 for the extra zoom for bird photography. I tend to use the RX10 more simply because of my style of photography, and am really pleased with it, but if it wasn't for the extra reach, I would be happy with the FZ1000. Hope that makes sense!

i see the mki rx going for around 500 is there a lot of difference between the rx1 and the rx3?

No experience of the RX10 MK1 I'm afraid, but joking aside, it is a shorter focal length at the longest end. The best thing to do is to go onto some decent review sites to find out the other differences and see if you would be happy with the MK1. Sorry to not be of much help

Last edited:
Obviously the main difference is the lens but there are plenty more. The EVF is much better on the M3 as is the sensor which is capable of 4k video - these came straight from the M2. Zoom speed is also much better. The JPEG engine seems better on the M3. I suggest reading the reviews on DPReview to get the full picture but my summary is: if you don't need above 200mm or 4K video then the M1 will be all you need; if you do need 4K but 200mm is enough then buy an M2 but if you need more than 200mm you need the M3. I've had all three and still have the M2 and M3 as sometimes, when I'm sure I won't need the reach of the M3, the lighter weight and brighter lens of the M2 is attractive.

im leaning toward the mkiii if i can find a way to fund it...d610 anyone

SON06713-Edit_zpsywjffrg7.jpg

SON06627_zps8sbu6bsh.jpg

SON06607-Edit_zpslsmdn2yf.jpg

Sony RX10 iii

straight from the camera glenn or did you give them a bit of a tinker??

Managed to get out for an hour today in the sunshine. We've found a spot where we always see Goldcrests, but they never stay still. Just had a look through what I took today, and this was about the only one worth working on a little. Not perfect I know, but nice to have a not too bad record of a very pretty, busy, little bird!

Managed to get out for an hour today in the sunshine. We've found a spot where we always see Goldcrests, but they never stay still. Just had a look through what I took today, and this was about the only one worth working on a little. Not perfect I know, but nice to have a not too bad record of a very pretty, busy, little bird!
lovely shot

Newbie alert!

I have a Sony A700 with various lenses CZ16-80 SAL70-300 Sigma 50-150 2.8 500reflex for Aircraft Photography. I am seriously looking at replacing with the RX10 mk3, but do have slight niggles. However seeing the edinburgh? Airport pictures on here does help.
My first digital was Minolta A2 which worked well until it broke. Then I went to Sony dSLRs due to Minolta takover.
One query is I do some product photography with studio heads which use the PC connector, so could I use a basic Flash adaptor in the flash socket?
The next is unresolved as all my cameras since film have had a Battery Grip otherwise I find my little finger gets uncomfortable with it not on the grip and I don't see one coming anytime soon.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be a problem using a standard hot-shoe to PC adapter but something Sony-dedicated like the Pixel TF-334 or TF-335 might be a good idea.
I would say there's zero chance of a battery grip. There are no contacts for the on-grip controls so it would be purely a grip if one was made. The only thing that's likely to appear is an Arca/Swiss L-bracket. There's one for the M1 & M2 so it's only a matter of time before one appears for the M3.

That's a damn sight better than the shot of a Redwing I took yesterday. It was through grubby double-glazing in poor light and the camera focussed on the twig that the bird was sittng behind. It was good enough to identify it but that's about it....

Here's a random selection to keep the thread alive. All RX10 iii

SON03283-Edit_edited-1_zpsynxp5okv.jpg

SON03917-Edit_zpsjr1jantl.jpg

If you look carefully in this one, you can see vortices forming under the engines as the pilot opens the throttles

SON04907-Edit-Edit_zpslmzdmcvn.jpg

SON05783_zpsgqwriupg.jpg

SON04502-Edit_zpspqanhm6z.jpg

Another of my Goldcrest shots. Highly cropped and again, not the best image ever, but at least you can make out the head stripe in this one!!

A difficult bird to photograph. Well done, Marcia.

Here's a random selection to keep the thread alive. All RX10 iii

SON03283-Edit_edited-1_zpsynxp5okv.jpg

SON03917-Edit_zpsjr1jantl.jpg

If you look carefully in this one, you can see vortices forming under the engines as the pilot opens the throttles

SON04907-Edit-Edit_zpslmzdmcvn.jpg

SON05783_zpsgqwriupg.jpg

SON04502-Edit_zpspqanhm6z.jpg
Nice varied set Glenn. My favourites are numbers 1, 3, and 4. I'm not a plane person, but I do appreciate the technical aspects of those images too! Thank you for sharing!

Some great shots on here, hope to contribute a few soon. Have just gotten a used RX10 Mk iii from Amazon Warehouse and it's arriving today ;)

Really want to try out the slow motion video capture down at the hockey club too, could be epic!

Some great shots on here, hope to contribute a few soon. Have just gotten a used RX10 Mk iii from Amazon Warehouse and it's arriving today ;)

Really want to try out the slow motion video capture down at the hockey club too, could be epic!

We look forward to seeing your work. Enjoy your new toy.

Another from me. A misty dull day, but this chap didn't seem too bothered by us. Luckily we didn't have the dogs with us or it may have been a different matter!!
[/url

Back