High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

The new Panasonic fz2500 is a camera that appears to be aimed at videographers rather than stills guys.
With is internal 4:2:2 10bit capture and its built in ND filters, alloy build quality, and tilting, swivelling touch screen it should knock the rx10iii into a cocked hat. Video guys will have little interest in the extra focal length of the Sony.
The fz2500 is aimed at pro's who will colour grade their footage, where as the rx10iii is aimed at amatures and enthusiasts.
(That's not to say that the Sony isn't very good, it is, it's just in a different market)

I've been told that the introduction of the rx10iii has forced Panasonic to hurry the fz2500 to market ASAP, and the fact that they announced it 3 months before it is available may indicate that they were worried about Sony grabbing market share. They've also priced it well below the Sony, which may force the price of the rx10iii down, (once stocks become common place)
Panasonic have also announced the forthcoming gh5, due mid 2017 which will be a big hit with video pro's.

One things for sure, it's great news for the consumer.
I hope so I'd snap the rx10 iii up at a more reasonable price, as you say the Panny is aimed at video which is disappointing for me personally

I think the FZ2500 is indeed just a product to" fill a gap" it's hardly revolutionary. In the meantime I will happily continue to use my FZ1000!

I think the FZ2500 is indeed just a product to" fill a gap" it's hardly revolutionary. In the meantime I will happily continue to use my FZ1000!

Do you use it primarily for stills or video ?

I think they left the 1000 out
[emoji16]

Last edited:
I agree unless your into video in a big way it's not worth it
I'll stick with my GX8 which does as much for a lot less until/if something suitable and decent value comes along
Nikon where's your DL line? [emoji4] [emoji780]

Last edited:
Reactions: LCS
Do you use it primarily for stills or video ?

Mostly stills; occasionally video and have not been disappointed, but I only have an older HD TV so do not probably get the full benefit. Apart forth slightly loud zoom when using, am very please with it

Fz1000 ordered.
Just got fed up with the amount of gear i had with dslr. Buying and selling lenses filters for all the different thread sizes. For me i haven't printed anything in the last 2 years, so i am hoping that the Fz1000 will reduce the need or replace the need for a trailer load of gear.
Would have loved the rx10iii but out of my reach. Fine looking bit of kit though.
Just stills shooting for me.

I think the stills shooters are missing the point of this camera, the FZ2500 will be a huge seller, there is nothing out there in the markit that offers 4k video with internal 4:2:2 10bit quality built around a 20x image stabilized lens with built in ND filters and with alloy steel build quality all for less than £1200 !!!!!
This camera IS a revolution, any one who doubts it will only have to look at the sales figures in the new year, sony will have to reduce the price of the rx10iii by at least 30% to have any chance of competing.

The fz2500 is the camera that serious video makers (ENG and run and gun shooters, documentary shooters etc) have been waiting for, ironically its only competition is likely to be from panasonics own GH5 which is due out mid 2017 but which will cost around £1800 for a body only.

Reactions: LCS
This is either a Bee or Hoverfly. Since I was bought a book on Hoverflies, I am getting very confused between the two, as there are so many Hoverflies that mimic Bees. To make matters worse, the book I have contains only the most photographed Hoverflies, so identification isn't simple. If anyone more knowledgeable than me can help I would really appreciate it, although this may be the wrong place to ask for advice! In that case just enjoy it in a photographic sense, whatever it is!!

Quick'n'dirty edit of a shot from yesterday morning before the public were let in. Hand-held at 1/20 sec and f5.6. I just lifted the shadows slightly and cropped the barrier on the left.

caterham.jpg

This is either a Bee or Hoverfly. Since I was bought a book on Hoverflies, I am getting very confused between the two, as there are so many Hoverflies that mimic Bees. To make matters worse, the book I have contains only the most photographed Hoverflies, so identification isn't simple. If anyone more knowledgeable than me can help I would really appreciate it, although this may be the wrong place to ask for advice! In that case just enjoy it in a photographic sense, whatever it is!!
it's a bee - look at the eyes. I would guess that it's probably a common carder bumblebee from what I can see. https://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/identification/

I would love to have an RX10 III to fall in love with! Sadly I suspect that I can only justify FZ1000 levels of exenditure!
Nice shot of a Red Admiral (albeit a slightly worn one). :)

Haven't fallen out at all, the weather has been dull, dull, dull so not much opportunity to be artistic.

Here's a couple demonstrating the zoom capability, the first is at 8.8mm, see the buildings in the centre of the shot?

SON05907_zpsrsih5cpa.jpg

These are those buildings at 600mm with the digital zoom

SON05928_zpsrxbfgiwf.jpg

and a couple of boring aeroplanes for good measure

SON06181-Edit_zpsyipyp24q.jpg

SON05974-Edit_zpsmgq4bszv.jpg

I would love to have an RX10 III to fall in love with! Sadly I suspect that I can only justify FZ1000 levels of exenditure!
Nice shot of a Red Admiral (albeit a slightly worn one). :)
I'm sorry Scott, I didn't mean that comment to sound boastful, and I apologise for any offence caused. I have changed the wording which also acknowledges the tattiness of the Red Admiral at this time of year. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to delete the whole posting, but I hope what I've done is enough. Once again many apologies.

I'm sorry Scott, I didn't mean that comment to sound boastful, and I apologise for any offence caused. I have changed the wording which also acknowledges the tattiness of the Red Admiral at this time of year. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to delete the whole posting, but I hope what I've done is enough. Once again many apologies.
I didn't take it as boastful (more that of a proud father :p) & no offence taken! I guess that I probably should have stuck a ;) to my post.
I can afford the camera but as I said I can't really justify that level of expenditure for the amount of use that it would currently get from me - an FZ1000 I just about can :). & I don't need the video features of the RX10 III.

Last edited:
Thanks Marcia, I'm off to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks so you can expect a deluge of pics when I get back and finish sorting through them. :)

Gorgeous image Mike! Only have one or two trees changing here at the moment, so not a fruitful morning's photography for us, especially as it started to rain halfway through!!

Back