High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Reminds me I need to get back to using my G3x now! Spare battery arriving today, so may pop out this afternoon! RX10 quality in a compact body.. what’s not to like!

A couple from today with the G3X (along side my M3). Around abouts 2000-4000 ISO in RAW and then edited in Photos. Cracking quality from the G3X just struggles with AF and speed a tad sadly!

IMG_0464.jpg
IMG_0447.jpg

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and the reason I'm here is that I've spent the last week or so contemplating getting a Sony RX10 IV to replace my Canon 7D and 100-400mm L lens. The main driver being size and weight reduction for traveling. The images above and some others I've seen on Flickr have left me a bit confused as it appears to be described in Flickr as 8.8-200 and as 24-600 (which is what I thought it is) and despite the description, I haven't seen a photo yet shot above 220mm. Can anyone explain if I'm looking at the wrong thing or if I'm just being a bit stupid? I guess any thoughts on my idea of swapping kit would also be good. My main areas of interest are aviation and wildlife - but I'm not exactly a prolific photographer. Thanks.

Last edited:
The physical focal length is 8.8-220mm but, due to the smaller sensor, this is equivalent to 24-600mm in full-frame terms. There's what's known as a 'crop factor' of 2.7.

Only you can tell whether you should dump everything in favour of the RX10 IV. I bought the original RX10 four years ago as a travel camera but sold my D7100 a year later when I found I'd stopped using it. There are also quite a few people in the DP Review Cybershot forum who have given up on APS-C and FF cameras in favour of the RX10 IV.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation - very clear.

Hmm, this is proving a really difficult decision and is complicated by the opportunity to buy one in a couple of weeks in Japan for a much better price than here - but also in that case with only a Japanese language menu and thus a much steeper learning curve and a great likelihood that I can never sell it on or trade it in. But it it's so much camera in one unit and it's probably at least on a IQ par with my MkI 7D and 100-400mm MkI lens. The images above from both the III and IV do look good, but there is some noise in images I've look at on Flickr. I just don't know. I'll check out the forum you mentioned.

Thank you for the explanation - very clear.

Hmm, this is proving a really difficult decision and is complicated by the opportunity to buy one in a couple of weeks in Japan for a much better price than here - but also in that case with only a Japanese language menu and thus a much steeper learning curve and a great likelihood that I can never sell it on or trade it in. But it it's so much camera in one unit and it's probably at least on a IQ par with my MkI 7D and 100-400mm MkI lens. The images above from both the III and IV do look good, but there is some noise in images I've look at on Flickr. I just don't know. I'll check out the forum you mentioned.

I've been really impressed with what my Mk3 can do but I still have a Fuji XT-1 for landscapes, macro etc - in good light the Sony is great but I wouldn't use it much above iso400 :)

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and the reason I'm here is that I've spent the last week or so contemplating getting a Sony RX10 IV to replace my Canon 7D and 100-400mm L lens. The main driver being size and weight reduction for traveling. The images above and some others I've seen on Flickr have left me a bit confused as it appears to be described in Flickr as 8.8-200 and as 24-600 (which is what I thought it is) and despite the description, I haven't seen a photo yet shot above 220mm. Can anyone explain if I'm looking at the wrong thing or if I'm just being a bit stupid? I guess any thoughts on my idea of swapping kit would also be good. My main areas of interest are aviation and wildlife - but I'm not exactly a prolific photographer. Thanks.

I've gone from 7D with 150-500 (plus other glass), to Sony a7II with 100-300, to RX10iv, primarily due to size / weight / travel. Do a bit of most stuff except portraits. See my posts back up the page - a number of these at full (or nearly) zoom - as others have said, Flickr records the physical zoom, so multiply by 2.7. Not done any motorsport yet though - looking forward to next season.

Well, I purchased a Panny FZ1000 this morning after deliberating for a while now between this and the RX10 mk3.
I just hope I’ve made the right decision, time will tell no doubt but money was a factor so we’ll see.
Looking forward to it arriving and trying it out.

I've just bought a olympus stylus 1, just want something small and I know it's an old one now but still full featured with very good iq for the sensor size and cheap.

A few from a chilly walk round Salisbury acouple of weeks ago. The very bright, low sun was often more contrasty than the sensor could handle....
DSC00138.JPG

DSC00150.JPG

DSC00128.JPG

A couple of recent efforts with the Sony RX10iii :)

Kingfisher
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Robin Portrait
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Some impressive images here from the RX10 Mk3 Mike, you are doing Sony a power of good.

I admit to being tempted by the RX10 ii or possibly RX10 iii . Think I would prefer the constant f2.8 of the mk2 to the extra reach of the MK3 ?

I admit to finding it slightly off-putting that the used lists of many reputable camera retailers WEX/MPB/LCE etc are stacked with RX10's of all denominations ?

Maybe buyers make rash decisions or the cameras are not the 'one-shot' wonder they would appear ?

I guess the only way to find out is jump right in ?

A lot of owners may be switching to the IV because of its improved AF.
I like the II (and original) because of its smaller size and weight but the IV (and III) is just so much more capable overall. However, in the unlikely event of Sony releasing a new camera based on the II but with the sensor, processor, evf, etc. from the IV then I'd buy it. I don't often need more than 200mm so would be very happy with a more compact camera with the overall performance of the IV.

Last edited:
Some impressive images here from the RX10 Mk3 Mike, you are doing Sony a power of good.

I admit to being tempted by the RX10 ii or possibly RX10 iii . Think I would prefer the constant f2.8 of the mk2 to the extra reach of the MK3 ?

I admit to finding it slightly off-putting that the used lists of many reputable camera retailers WEX/MPB/LCE etc are stacked with RX10's of all denominations ?

Maybe buyers make rash decisions or the cameras are not the 'one-shot' wonder they would appear ?

I guess the only way to find out is jump right in ?

Thanks Roy. For me it's the 600mm equivalent lens of the Mk3/4 that was the big draw - *in good light* it really is excellent... almost unbelievably so. Clearly it's going to struggle at higher ISO (no surprises there) but generally the lens is a triumph.

Downsides... it's not small/compact in any way and usual Sony menu shortfalls apply. Umm... and you may have noticed it's not cheap!

I don't think there will ever be one camera to do it all but this is the closest I have seen :)

PS - have another Kingfisher
PPS - for info both the Kingfishers are massive crops - the IQ holds up pretty well considering I think

Kingfisher Portrait
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Thanks Roy. For me it's the 600mm equivalent lens of the Mk3/4 that was the big draw - *in good light* it really is excellent... almost unbelievably so. Clearly it's going to struggle at higher ISO (no surprises there) but generally the lens is a triumph.

Downsides... it's not small/compact in any way and usual Sony menu shortfalls apply. Umm... and you may have noticed it's not cheap!

I don't think there will ever be one camera to do it all but this is the closest I have seen :)

PS - have another Kingfisher
PPS - for info both the Kingfishers are massive crops - the IQ holds up pretty well considering I think

Kingfisher Portrait
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

“Cracking” shot Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

Well I am in a quandary now! So I sold the FZ1000 and have now ended up I the "high end bridge camera" the following;

Leica V Lux 114 (yes I know its the same, I just wanted one because I "wanted" one!)
Canon G3X
Panasonic FZ300

These are in addition to my Canon M6 and various lens - I just couldn't decide and when "good value" ones popped up, I couldn't resist! So; V Lux - love it, cracking all rounder and top notch images. Maybe zoom is a tad short.. but overall great, Love the in camera RAW editing too. Got a few nice picture of long tail tits yesterday as couldn't be bothered taking the Canon M6 and 100-400 lens out

Canon G3X - Tricky! Like it bcaseu similar to my M6 and fantastic style and build quality.. BUT abominably slow AF and drive rate in raw is a joke. But - its great quality and has the ideal zoom and sensor size.. Little things though, like no raw processing in camera for quick Instagram edits are annoying.. Such a shame. Viewfiner, I'm not bothered about as I use the one for the M6. And, relay like the build and design of this one! The v lux is juts a tad.. big and plastic! For slow things and overall shots its great, but I love wildlife, so a casual afternoon stroll can turn into a long tailed tit catch up game - in which case it would fail miserably - even the V Lux struggled yesterday and that has blazing AF ahead of many DSLRS!

FZ330 - so far, quite happy! Love the zoom and the 2.8; Overall quality not as good piously.. only bought this as it was a bargain. But will probably give it to my mother at some point! Tricky, tricky! I suppose, ideally it would be a Sony RX10 4.. but way out of budget. Tempted to wait for the new G3X whenever that may arrive.. if Canon could juts make the Af and drive better, it would b bloody ideal! Compact, and designed out of quality rather than the cheapest plastic available!

Thoughts anybody? If someone could decide for me...!

Few pics of the LTT below, all the other images were with the FZ300.. Heavy crops on some of the LTT so be nice!

IMG_2504.jpg

Last edited:
So, to you owners of the RX10 iv - is it worth the cost over the RX10 iii ?
I'm finding it hard to choose what compact/bridge than I did working out if I needed a Nikon D850 over my D750....!
The Panasonic FZ1000 or even the TZ100 are on my list, but it seems that there might be a place for the RX10 iv too....

I hadn't seen just how much the III has dropped in price! At its original price I'd have said buy the IV but when there's a £600 difference then the III becomes a much more attractive option. It really depends on what you photograph. If it's largely static then the III will probably do the job. If you're into sport or BIF then the IV is definitely better. That's not to say the III can't do it as this shot shows but I might have got more keepers with the IV.

DSC01345.JPG

I hadn't seen just how much the III has dropped in price! At its original price I'd have said buy the IV but when there's a £600 difference then the III becomes a much more attractive option. It really depends on what you photograph. If it's largely static then the III will probably do the job. If you're into sport or BIF then the IV is definitely better. That's not to say the III can't do it as this shot shows but I might have got more keepers with the IV.

DSC01345.JPG

I do all sorts - sport, wildlife, people, and low light. Not much landscape, but I fear that won't help keep the cost down....
Bugger.

Well.... I’ve now joined he club (again) - I’ve had every model! I have the G3X, the FZ1000 (replaced with the Leica equivalent V Lux) This week addition is an RX10 M3! So initially - like it. Ergonomics are no where near as good as the Panasonic/Leica or even Canon. The buttons are just a tad “out of the way” for how your hands naturally fall. The Leica is the clear winner here, no questions. Menu button is annoying on top left as well, so like the Leica handing! Bit I not been out with it yet, so will have a go this afternoon. Couple of queries;

Firstly - no way of making a “new” menu button using any of the programmable soft keys I suppose? I know Canon do this, but not sure on this one. Gone through various manuals and can’t figure it out.. secondly there is a big “jolt” on the zoom when it’s around about 300-500 mm - very noticeable when you zoom very slowly; just aboht noticeable when you do quick zooming (hold down the zoom til it reaches the full zoom or minimum rtc) is his normal? I’m not worried as it was form Argo so can just return for repair, but thought I’d clarify if this is just a “peculiarity”!

The RX10M4 has an option for a custom 'My Menu' page but it's still accessed from the menu system, not assignable to a key. I'm pretty sure this was new to the M4.
The only real option is to customise the Fn button entries.

I'm curious, is there anyone who had an RX10mk2 they weren't keen on then bought an RX10m3 or m4 they do like?

The reason I ask is that I love my RX100mk4 and decided to add an RX10mk2 for more range as an all in one solution but I've ended up rarely using it instead favouring the NEX-6/18-200mm or the D750/28-300mm combination as they offer more range and bigger sensors. The mk3 and mk4 obviously have much better range which has me considering one again as a convenient all in one solution but I'm iffy about spending the money on one if it ends not getting used again.

First outing with the new RX10 Mark 3 this evening. It is pretty amazing BUT I wish I'd had my Canon 760D and 100-400 on me for what I encountered below! But still.. very pleased with them! :) Quite heavy crops but still pretty good!

DSC05494.jpg DSC05489.jpg

I'm curious, is there anyone who had an RX10mk2 they weren't keen on then bought an RX10m3 or m4 they do like?

The reason I ask is that I love my RX100mk4 and decided to add an RX10mk2 for more range as an all in one solution but I've ended up rarely using it instead favouring the NEX-6/18-200mm or the D750/28-300mm combination as they offer more range and bigger sensors. The mk3 and mk4 obviously have much better range which has me considering one again as a convenient all in one solution but I'm iffy about spending the money on one if it ends not getting used again.

For me, the RX10 3 zoom is the clincher for me - having go the FZ1000 with 400 being just a tad too short!

Quite heavy crops but still pretty good!
It seems to me that if you can show what you want then the camera was good enough. The 1st picture is beautifully timed! (y)

Back