High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Lovely close ups Mike! What adaptor are you using for the Canon lens please? And what is the focusing distance please? Although I’m loving my RX10MK4, I do miss being able to use a dedicated macro lens, and had no idea your setup was possible! Many thanks!

Thanks Marcia - it one of these: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-500D-Close-up-Lens-Review.aspx which just screws straight on to the RX10 lens with no vignetting.

The focus distance is very good (relative to a normal macro lens) - I would guess about 60cm although I've never measured it properly. Auto focus works fine and the more focal length you dial in, the more magnification you get so it's quite a useful setup :)

Thanks Marcia - it one of these: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-500D-Close-up-Lens-Review.aspx which just screws straight on to the RX10 lens with no vignetting.

The focus distance is very good (relative to a normal macro lens) - I would guess about 60cm although I've never measured it properly. Auto focus works fine and the more focal length you dial in, the more magnification you get so it's quite a useful setup :)
By definition (from the lens's name) it's 50cm. Although that's with the camera's lens set to infinity. It should come down a bit if the camera lens is set to its minimum focus distance. I think the Canon 500D is probably the most useful close-up lens for the RX10 III/IV. It's not as powerful as the Marumi 330 and 200 (again, their MFD is in the name) but that makes it easier to use and 2 dioptres is often quite enough. It's also lighter than the Marumis so less strain on the RX10 lens mechanism.

By definition (from the lens's name) it's 50cm. Although that's with the camera's lens set to infinity. It should come down a bit if the camera lens is set to its minimum focus distance. I think the Canon 500D is probably the most useful close-up lens for the RX10 III/IV. It's not as powerful as the Marumi 330 and 200 (again, their MFD is in the name) but that makes it easier to use and 2 dioptres is often quite enough. It's also lighter than the Marumis so less strain on the RX10 lens mechanism.
Good info Jonathan, thanks. I did try other close up lenses and found them too powerful to be used easily so the 500D is a good compromise as you say (y)

No Longer Available.

George.

Last edited:

Dragonfly Wing with Pterostigma
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

The pterostigma (plural: pterostigmata) is a group of specialized cells in the outer wings of insects, which are often thickened or coloured, and thus stand out from other cells. It is particularly noticeable in dragonflies, but present also in other insect groups.

The purpose of the pterostigma, being a heavier section of the wing in comparison to nearby sections, is to assist in gliding. Without the pterostigma, self-exciting vibrations would set in on the wing after a certain critical speed, making gliding impossible.

Dragonfly Wing with Pterostigma
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

The pterostigma (plural: pterostigmata) is a group of specialized cells in the outer wings of insects, which are often thickened or coloured, and thus stand out from other cells. It is particularly noticeable in dragonflies, but present also in other insect groups.

The purpose of the pterostigma, being a heavier section of the wing in comparison to nearby sections, is to assist in gliding. Without the pterostigma, self-exciting vibrations would set in on the wing after a certain critical speed, making gliding impossible.

”Excellent” close up/macro shot, and a very nice bit of information included.

George.

Version 2.0 firmware is now available for the Mk iv giving animal eye tracking and general stability improvements

Back