High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Both at 220mm

SON00161_edited-1_zpsdrqx5hik.jpg
[/URL]

SON00208-Edit_zpsolerulk5.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Quick one, has anyone done any football photography with the RX10?

I owe someone a favour and he’s called it in. At the time I made the promise to help out I had a 1dx so junior football was easy, but now with the RX10 IV I’m not so sure I’ll produce anything acceptable.

So if anyone has some experience with this camera and sport I’d appreciate some tips, advice before I make an ass of myself by saying I’ll do it. TIA

I've used my RX10 III & IV for moto-x. Any deficiencies are down to my lack of technique rather than the camera. I don't know why you think you'll have problems as you've got the reach and lightning-fast focussing.

DSC01228.JPG
DSC01279.JPG

Last edited:
I've used my RX10 III & IV for moto-x. Any deficiencies are down to my lack of technique rather than the camera. I don't know why you think you'll have problems as you've got the reach and lightning-fast focussing.

Thank you appreciate your help. I don't know the limitations of this type of camera, since getting it I've barely used it. I guess it's more a case of just making sure the camera is capable of shooting sport. I'm used to using a lens at F/2.8 and know this won't shoot at that.

Following my earlier questions/comments, I have been looking through this thread in detail and am certainly tempted by the Sony RX10.

I am slightly concerned about the size and weight, as in the past when out and about with the family (casual outings, rather than specific photography trips), I have left my gear at home due to the inconvenience of a bulky bag whilst dealing with kids and all the stuff that needs carting around for a day out with them. I wonder therefore if a more compact camera would suit those occasions. But then I look at the versatility of the RX10 and that lovely sharp lens and think how that would suit so many of the things I like to shoot! I don't really want to have two cameras, but maybe that is the answer - small and light for family outings and the larger, more versatile RX10 for other times.

If I do go for the RX10 I would probably go for the III based on cost/budget. The IV feels a bit too expensive for me at the moment. I've read that the improved AF on the IV makes it much better at tracking. Linked to the previous couple of posts, how have those using the III found the AF performance for moving targets (birds in flight, etc)?

Pete - I have a RX10iii which I love but I don't shoot BIF and suchlike, only static stuff. I think it would do ok at that but if it's a major part of your photography maybe try and stretch to a mark 4 ?

The lens is generally great - really surprising (to me anyway) even wide open at 600m equiv but it's not small as you have noted.

Very nice shot, works for me really well.

George.

Pete - I have a RX10iii which I love but I don't shoot BIF and suchlike, only static stuff. I think it would do ok at that but if it's a major part of your photography maybe try and stretch to a mark 4 ?

The lens is generally great - really surprising (to me anyway) even wide open at 600m equiv but it's not small as you have noted.

At this stage I'm not willing to stretch to a IV, especially as I don't know how well I'll get on with it and knowing my mixed feelings on Sony cameras from past experience. I have though just committed to a pre-owned III, so we'll see how it goes. If I get on with it and if I feel the need for faster focus tracking, then maybe an upgrade later on and not lose too much on re-sale of the III. Chances are the III will do most, if not everything, I need it to. Looking forward to finding out. :)

At this stage I'm not willing to stretch to a IV, especially as I don't know how well I'll get on with it and knowing my mixed feelings on Sony cameras from past experience. I have though just committed to a pre-owned III, so we'll see how it goes. If I get on with it and if I feel the need for faster focus tracking, then maybe an upgrade later on and not lose too much on re-sale of the III. Chances are the III will do most, if not everything, I need it to. Looking forward to finding out. :)
Great stuff - look forward to seeing some results :)

My RX10 III arrived today. Not had a chance to play properly yet, but going to sit down now and delve into the menus, try to familiarise myself with it all and set a few things up to suit my needs.

My RX10 III arrived today. Not had a chance to play properly yet, but going to sit down now and delve into the menus, try to familiarise myself with it all and set a few things up to suit my needs.

That’s a positive “RESULT” in my book, “ENJOY”.

George.

Last edited:
Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciated your reply.

“Many thanks for the kind wishes, I can now jog a little over half a mile, not as much as I would like but I’m getting there as they say. Yesterday I had my wings (pilots licence) reinstated which surprised me but is very welcome.

George.
Very glad to hear it George :)

This is my first posting when using this excellent camera.
Just a simple Snapograph taken at Kent UK of a Geum plant in my garden.

Sony RX10M4.
Geum-03312 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Now that Photobucket has started ruining my images with a watermark, can I ask what hosting sites people here use. Thanks.

I have my own web site. Costs me £60 per year for my domain and 5GB storage.
I put a tiny amount on Flickr but only stuff associated with a particular user group I'm in.

Last edited:
I bought a RX10 iii a couple of years ago , it was great at static stuff but couldn't cope with motorbike racing , I barely got a sharp shot when panning but it was better than bridge cameras I've had in the past , they're never going to make a bridge that is as good as a dslr even if they can , why kill the cash cow that is the ever changing dslr

Last edited:
I bought a RX10 iii a couple of years ago , it was great at static stuff but couldn't cope with motorbike racing , I barely got a sharp shot when panning but it was better than bridge cameras I've had in the past , they're never going to make a bridge that is as good as a dslr even if they can , why kill the cash cow that is the ever changing dslr

I'd argue that point with the RX10 IV I have; The AF is now unbelievable on that, I was capturing swallows successfully with this a few weeks ago.. Its quite a revelation over the RX 3

As stickytape says, the RX10 IV has excellent AF as it has technology from the Sony A9. Mirrorless cameras are now as good as DSLRs for AF speed and the technology has filtered down. The moto-x shot further up this page was taken with my RX10 IV. I took high-speed bursts (20fps) of a couple of starts and nearly all frames are sharp.

Back