High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Thanks Marcia - it one of these: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-500D-Close-up-Lens-Review.aspx which just screws straight on to the RX10 lens with no vignetting.

The focus distance is very good (relative to a normal macro lens) - I would guess about 60cm although I've never measured it properly. Auto focus works fine and the more focal length you dial in, the more magnification you get so it's quite a useful setup :)
Great images with you 500D, I have a 77mm version. I wonder how it would work on my RX10 MKIV and a 72mm to 77mm step up ring.

The optical bits will work very well but the 77mm version must be even heavier than the 72mm so may put unwanted stress on the focussing/zooming mechanism.

Three very nice shots, liking all of these very much with #2 being my fav’.

George.

Love those shots Mike! Makes me miss my Sony RX10 4 so much - tried to cut costs and ended up selling it and sticking with the old Leica V Lux - it's good, but not a patch on the Sony!

Love those shots Mike! Makes me miss my Sony RX10 4 so much - tried to cut costs and ended up selling it and sticking with the old Leica V Lux - it's good, but not a patch on the Sony!

Thanks! Maybe treat yourself sometime when funds allow - even a Mk3 (which I am struggling on with) is great for most scenarios and not ridiculous to pick up second hand :)

Auto ISO is my new best friend! The below is iso640 and I think it actually holds up pretty well - what I was (stupidly) doing before was keeping the iso low hence losing shutter speed and even deliberately under-exposing then recovering it in post which resulted in far more noise than just getting the iso right in the first place *facepalm*

Anyway - got there in the end :)

Bad Hair Day!
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Auto ISO is my new best friend! The below is iso640 and I think it actually holds up pretty well - what I was (stupidly) doing before was keeping the iso low hence losing shutter speed and even deliberately under-exposing then recovering it in post which resulted in far more noise than just getting the iso right in the first place *facepalm*

Anyway - got there in the end :)

Bad Hair Day!
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

That’s a “Cracking” shot, well framed with good colour and amazing detail.

George.

I only heard on Saturday that there had been a firmware update for my “RX10M4” so yesterday I set about updating it, this being the very first time I’d tried to do this on a Sony camera. “What A Palaver”, I found it to be so much more difficult than the way I have to do my Fuji units.

After displaying and following the instructions on my iPad I did the update via my MacBook (via the Sony UK website). All seemed to be going well considering on numerous occasions I had to keep entering my password, and then for no reason at all the instructions changed to Japanese. As I couldn’t understand them I just kept clicking next and eventually managed to get it done.

In my opinion its a real shame the Sony UK site, together with the software and interface on the camera seems to me to be so awkward (compared to my Fuji’s) especially when the cameras are so good.

George.

I only heard on Saturday that there had been a firmware update for my “RX10M4” so yesterday I set about updating it, this being the very first time I’d tried to do this on a Sony camera. “What A Palaver”, I found it to be so much more difficult than the way I have to do my Fuji units.

After displaying and following the instructions on my iPad I did the update via my MacBook (via the Sony UK website). All seemed to be going well considering on numerous occasions I had to keep entering my password, and then for no reason at all the instructions changed to Japanese. As I couldn’t understand them I just kept clicking next and eventually managed to get it done.

In my opinion its a real shame the Sony UK site, together with the software and interface on the camera seems to me to be so awkward (compared to my Fuji’s) especially when the cameras are so good.

George.

I know what you mean, for the short time I had the mark 4 I was not impressed with the ergonomics at all. Despite the performance and quality, when it came down to choosing to let go of that or my Leica, it had to me the RX10 4. The Leica usability is a million times better, I would really struggle to loose that level of top notch ergonomics!

Back