High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Thanks George - hope you are back in action soon or at least getting there :)

Yes Mike, I'm very well again thanks but because of the surgery I had last year I do have to be a bit careful not to catch anything too sinister. And with the current Covid situation I've been keeping as low as possible. Trust you're fit & well my friend.

Take care.

George.

Yes Mike, I'm very well again thanks but because of the surgery I had last year I do have to be a bit careful not to catch anything too sinister. And with the current Covid situation I've been keeping as low as possible. Trust you're fit & well my friend.

Take care.

George.
Sounds very sensible George - plenty of time to get back into action once vaccinated.

I am doing ok thanks - not loving it but nothing to complain about in comparison to many others.

Just a simple Close Up/Macro type Snapograph taken in my garden of some Frost Crystals on some wood.

RX10M4, 1/30th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Raynox 202, Tripod.
A Touch Of Frost-03493 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

No, but I didn't do a lot to it... the lens on the RX10iii or iv really is sharp even at f4 and 600mm equiv - it's a great way to shoot wildlife if the light is decent (high iso doesn't match up to a 'real' camera ;) )

They really are something special aren't they! I've been using a Panasonic G100 and 100-300 and it's not a patch on the sharpest I remember of the RX10. Of course, sometimes you do get some super sharp ones, but its not with regularity. I can be taking a shot of something half a mile away and its just blurry, whereas on the RX10, so long as it wasn't camera shake you had superb quality. From what I remember, the high ISO quality was still pretty good with the RX10. I always ended up shooting RAW and I found the dynamic range to be pretty amazing when you pull out the shadows and drop the highlights!

They really are something special aren't they! I've been using a Panasonic G100 and 100-300 and it's not a patch on the sharpest I remember of the RX10. Of course, sometimes you do get some super sharp ones, but its not with regularity. I can be taking a shot of something half a mile away and its just blurry, whereas on the RX10, so long as it wasn't camera shake you had superb quality. From what I remember, the high ISO quality was still pretty good with the RX10. I always ended up shooting RAW and I found the dynamic range to be pretty amazing when you pull out the shadows and drop the highlights!

:plus1: to all of that.

Looking for a video that explains the difference between the 10mk3 and mk4, the ones i can find are not good, unless any users can give me the basic info.

Looking for a video that explains the difference between the 10mk3 and mk4, the ones i can find are not good, unless any users can give me the basic info.

Hi Mike - I just upgraded from a Mk3 to a Mk4 so can give my 2p worth. They are really very similar basically - lens is identical, controls, body, handling etc all very much the same. The Mk4 is faster in terms of how it focuses in certain situations and how it handles bursts of shots, and I believe the sensor is slighly different/improved but I reckon you'd need to be in a lab to tell the difference. Out (literally!) in the field I can't tell much difference at all.

I typically don't do anything fancy when I am shooting - ie no million shot bursts or tracking of birds in flight etc so the difference for me has been minimal.

So as usual it kind of depends what you are going to do with it but for most folk I reckon you'd struggle to tell the difference - happy to try and answer any questions or maybe somebody more technical will chip in :)

Well my dalliance with an FZ1000 Mk2 came to a premature end just before Christmas after only owning it a few weeks.

I'd attached a tripod and when picking the the combination up by the tripod head, something I've never had an issue with previously, the camera's tripod mounting bolt ripped out through the bottom of the camera and fell to the floor from about 4ft.

Obviously this was less than ideal but I was surprised how easily it came out and some of that is due to the plate into which you screw the tripod not being a plate at all. Rather it's just a nut so all the weight of either the camera or tripod depending on how you hold the set-up is taken by something less than 1cm in diameter.

Fortunately I was able to return it despite it essentially being my fault so I wonder if this is a known design issue? Regardless, given how easily it broke I won't be replacing it with another Panasonic and can't justify a Sony so after taking about 10 photos and posting 0 photos it looks like I'm bowing out of this thread!

Back to searching for a new camera then...

Well my dalliance with an FZ1000 Mk2 came to a premature end just before Christmas after only owning it a few weeks.

I'd attached a tripod and when picking the the combination up by the tripod head, something I've never had an issue with previously, the camera's tripod mounting bolt ripped out through the bottom of the camera and fell to the floor from about 4ft.

Obviously this was less than ideal but I was surprised how easily it came out and some of that is due to the plate into which you screw the tripod not being a plate at all. Rather it's just a nut so all the weight of either the camera or tripod depending on how you hold the set-up is taken by something less than 1cm in diameter.

Fortunately I was able to return it despite it essentially being my fault so I wonder if this is a known design issue? Regardless, given how easily it broke I won't be replacing it with another Panasonic and can't justify a Sony so after taking about 10 photos and posting 0 photos it looks like I'm bowing out of this thread!

Back to searching for a new camera then...
Hmm - sorry to hear about the demise of your FZ1000 :(

May I humbly suggest finding a second hand RX10iii - they are not that expensive these days :)

Just a simple Close Up/Macro type Snapograph taken in my garden of some Frost Crystals on a leaf.
I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the frost textures.

RX10M4, 1/30th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Raynox 250, Tripod.
A Touch Of Frost (2)-03498 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

hmmmm just spotted this thread ,and liking what I see . can I ask @Mike Smith do you use any extra noise reduction software in processing the RAW files i.e for olympus I now incorporate topaz de-noiseAi in every shot .

hmmmm just spotted this thread ,and liking what I see . can I ask @Mike Smith do you use any extra noise reduction software in processing the RAW files i.e for olympus I now incorporate topaz de-noiseAi in every shot .

Hi Jeff - no I generally don't do anything fancy in post (mostly because I can't!). High iso is not a particular strong point of the RX10 but I would say the noise is pretty well controlled bearing in mind the smaller sensor. It's the fact you can get a properly sharp 600mm equiv at f4 in a decent sized package that takes some beating :)

Back