High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Who remembers the original super bridge camera: Sony's DSC-R1?

It came with a 10MP APS sensor and a 24-105 (equivalent) lens that many reviewers more or less swooned over. I bought one (new) for a penny short of £400 from LCE in the Strand when they were being remaindered off, having originally been sold at £1,000. It really was every bit as good as it was said to be at the time...

Camera Sony DSC-R1 TZ40 1020239.JPG

I no longer have mine but I do have some pleasing pics...

Northampton railway station sidings R1_05631.jpg

Narrow boat at Long Buckby Wharf R1_04652.JPG

Dry side of the Zillergrund Dam R1_01866.JPG

Couple outside the New Inn Long Buckby Wharf R1_02834.JPG

I had one of the previous ones a Sony f828. Cracking camera 8 mp when everything else was about 3 or 4 .. tilting body for low level shots ,fantastic lens .. it was way way ahead of its time and probably at that time to far advanced for my limited knowledge and the processing systems / computers of the day .
We had only just come out of the age of film in those days and I eventually sold it to aquire a canon 40D and moved up a incredible 2 mp and into sigma lenses .probably have been better off keeping the 828 in hindsight

Last edited:
Olympus was in the game, this was mine

e10-w.jpg

I had an R1 and the EXIFs say it was 24-120mm equivalent rather than 24-105mm. But, yes, great camera hampered by Sony's insistence on slowing the CF card to make Memory Stick more attractive and using LANC protocol for the remote control. I replaced it with a Nikon D80 to get longer focal lengths and that was a disaster as it over-exposed badly much of the time. The D90 fixed this.....

Last edited:
This flopped onto our silver birch this morning. No artistic merit but not too bad considering the light and how filthy the window is. I had time for four shots before it flapped off again, probably after our neighbours' goldfish. OOC JPEG, minor levels adjustment and cropped to about a quarter of the frame.
heron1.jpg

Last edited:
Olympus was in the game, this was mine
In my opinion, the E10 series never quite got the image quality right. I used an E20 before I got the R1 and the difference was very noticeable, especially when the image had to be cropped. On the other hand, the E20 felt like it would withstand a bullet, whereas the Sony most certainly didn't.

An example from my E20...

Moorhen squabble in Swindon Canal E20P 5030034.jpg

I had one of the previous ones a Sony f828. Cracking camera 8 mp when everything else was about 3 or 4 .. tilting body for low level shots ,fantastic lens .. it was way way ahead of its time and probably at that time to far advanced for my limited knowledge and the processing systems / computers of the day .
We had only just come out of the age of film in those days and I eventually sold it to aquire a canon 40D and moved up a incredible 2 mp and into sigma lenses .probably have been better off keeping the 828 in hindsight
I stil have my F828. An incredible camera, and still excellent I'd say!

Just a simple landscape type Snapograph taken a time or two ago at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of an old winch mechanism that was used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach and an old fisherman's hut. These are just two of the many things scattered about the beach that have just been Discarded & left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rust & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/680th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Discarded (1)-03507 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Just a simple landscape type Snapograph taken a time or two ago at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of an old winch mechanism that was used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach and an old fisherman's hut. These are just two of the many things scattered about the beach that have just been Discarded & left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rust & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/680th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Discarded (1)-03507 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.
Wow that shed has changed somewhat since I took this in 2012.

Fisherman's Shed by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Last edited by a moderator:
During the past time or two I've been trying to snap the same shots both with my APSC (not Sony) units and my RX10M4 or RX100M6 Sony units all at base ISO settings and as near as possible the same focal lengths as a comparison. And I hate to admit it but in more cases than not the RX shots are marginally sharper per equivalent focal length and aperture using zoom lenses, have more contrast straight out of the camera, they are faster focussing and to me generally more appealing. I very seldom shoot low light so I would expect the APSC snaps to be a bit better with the regards to noise in those circumstances. These are not in any way meant to be scientific assessments just my own personal findings under user conditions.

Just a simple tourist close up type Snapograph taken at Kent UK of some fishing boat Rope. I've deliberately gone for a semi graphic higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the texture.

RX10M4, 1/800th @ F5, ISO-100, Handheld.
Fishing Boat Rope-03515 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

A wee video for a change - click through to watch if you are interested :)

Robin
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Really like that Mike, and the vid' is nice and worth a look as well.

"Pardon me for asking Mike, video is something that I do quite a bit of with my RX units and my iPhone but how do you upload vid's to Flickr and if I should want to how do you link them for viewing on TP ?"

"During the first lockdown I was busy helping out delivering PPE equipment to out of the way places using "Choppy". A lot of the places were the remote areas of Scotland etc and when possible I documented my travels from the air using either one of my RX units or my iPhone, I should be interested to show some of the vid's when I've edited them all just to see what other folk thought ofd my efforts"

Thanks George. I know very little about the world of video so this was really just a bit of fun for me :)

All I did was :
- locate the clip on the SD card
- do a quick edit (just 'clipping') in free Windows software
- save as mp4 file
- 'drag and drop' the file into the Flickr Upload screen (it seemed to know what to do - nothing different to a photo as far as the process goes)
- then get the link from 'share photo' and select BBCode (ie same as a still image)
- paste link into TP, again, same as a photo

Good luck - look forward to seeing some videos!

Thanks George. I know very little about the world of video so this was really just a bit of fun for me :)

All I did was :
- locate the clip on the SD card
- do a quick edit (just 'clipping') in free Windows software
- save as mp4 file
- 'drag and drop' the file into the Flickr Upload screen (it seemed to know what to do - nothing different to a photo as far as the process goes)
- then get the link from 'share photo' and select BBCode (ie same as a still image)
- paste link into TP, again, same as a photo

Good luck - look forward to seeing some videos!

Many thanks for all of that Mike, that's very much appreciated. (y)

Superb shot
I am definitely getting one!

A very wise decision Mark, they are superb bits of kit by any standard.

"I do presume you're talking about the camera as apposed the robin, I'll leave now" :) :exit:

Back