High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

You can get add-on dioptre/close-up lenses that come in a variety of strengths from 1 dioptre through to 8 or more. A dioptre is defined as the focal length of the lens divided into 1000 so a 2 dioptre lens will have a focal length of 500mm. The simplest are single glass elements which can be prone to various optical aberrations so those with two or more elements, known as achromats, are preferable. They also come in a wide variety of filter threads so it's best to get one that matches your camera lens's filter thread if possible. All these add-on lenses actually do is reduce the prime lens's minimum focal distance.
Many thanks for the explanation very useful

Nice!
Is this just with the camera lens at 600 or do you use an attachment. Not really done any digging into macro yet but came across some adds that suggest you can get an add on lens?
Thanks - that was just with the bare lens. I’ve tried various add on lenses for macro but never been super happy with the results (I do ‘proper’ macro with an A7Rii and 90mm so the bar is quite high to be fair)

Thanks
I don't think I'd want to invest in it as not a passion of mine but it's nice to know you can get some quality shots like yours with just the bare lens. Will have to practice. You never know I might get the "bug"

Last edited:
Thanks Alby! I could have done with the extra 120mm effective reach of an RX10 over the FZ2000, but it’s come out all right considering

Any suggestions for a camera bag for the RX10. I've seen this one, I like this stye. Any other suggestions along these lines?
I have the Sony Alpha LCS-AMB DSLR case for my RX10 Mike.
It's a ' snug fit ' but very well made. The hard plastic connectors from strap to bag are a little noisy when walking but that's a minor irritant. There is additional storage pockets for battery / phone etc but your not going to get your packed lunch in there.

View on Youtube

Last edited:
I have the Billingham Hadley for mine.

Just popping into this thread, as ive not been on the forum for months now!
Im still out there shooting, but if i was honest, im using my Panny G9/60mm set up, more often than my Panny FZ1000.
Ive still shot 1000's of Butterfly images with the FZ1000/ Canon 500D close up filter though.

Shot this at least a week ago. Male Adonis Blue Butterfly (2nd brood). No cropping, Single image, Auto focus, Jpeg, Handheld, basic editing.
Manual, F/7.1 ISO-100 1/320. Lens zoom 60mm(35 focal equiv. 164mm).
Cheers Paul.

Male Adonis Blue Butterfly (2nd brood). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Just popping into this thread, as ive not been on the forum for months now!
Im still out there shooting, but if i was honest, im using my Panny G9/60mm set up, more often than my Panny FZ1000.
Ive still shot 1000's of Butterfly images with the FZ1000/ Canon 500D close up filter though.

Shot this at least a week ago. Male Adonis Blue Butterfly (2nd brood). No cropping, Single image, Auto focus, Jpeg, Handheld, basic editing.
Manual, F/7.1 ISO-100 1/320. Lens zoom 60mm(35 focal equiv. 164mm).
Cheers Paul.

Male Adonis Blue Butterfly (2nd brood). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr
Thats a stunner Paul ;)

Thats a stunner Paul ;)
Thanks Alby, a good year for the Adonis, which is on its 2nd brood now.

The last few weekends have been great...........................but ive been hit with "lethal" Ant attacks quite bad this year. Last weekend, i counted 43+ "Ant hits"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! an some of em were in places that are real tender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess its a price we pay, for trying to capture those types of shots
Cheers Paul.

Just looking back at this one Alby, what a stunner...your images always show very good lighting.
Thanks Paul, they are an unusual looking owl and make for an interesting image l think.. l always try to get a shot without blown areas if possible so have to lighten in post normally. I hate blown whites.

Last edited:
Just a question on Macro with the RX10. I'm having a go at 24mm and the Macro icon appears, then if I manually focus the viewfinder shows a zoomed in Macro view. But if I try and press the shutter at this point it zooms back out again. Is this what it's supposed to do or am I missing something?

Just came across some more shots from the Sony R1.

Mother and daughter enjoying the music of an Austrian town band in Mayrhofen...

Watching the band in Mayrhofen main street R1_00825.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with this effort from this morning. A distant kingfisher, at full (optical) zoom on my Panny FZ2000. Cropped and denoised a touch, but it's still my best ever kingfisher effort :)

Jealous. I'd love to even see one, let alone photograph one.

Jealous. I'd love to even see one, let alone photograph one.
Thanks Kell - I'd got a heads up about a hide fairly locally where this bird was active. Now I know it's there I'll be back - if I can get in amongst all the other toggers with their monstrous lenses!!!

Despite having been taking photos for years (often not very well) it's still amazing what I don't know. I've understood the concept of bracketing, but never taken the time to apply it practically. Over the last months I've put in the effort to understand this more on my three (different brand) cameras primarily to hop to reduce shots lost with over or underexposure - especially of the sky, and together with learning and playing around with post processing (primarily with Affinity Photo and Topaz Denoise) have managed to taken some half decent shots that might otherwise have gone by the wayside. Like many things that one learns, I've probably got a bit OTT in application of said knowledge but I'm having fun learning and doing it.

This shot is one of several I took yesterday whilst out and about up in the valleys here in South Wales with my Manny FZ2000. It's a shot of one of the roads off Bwlch mountain between Bridget and Treorchy, bracketed for exposure and then the frames used with a touch of HDR merge to give it a bit of a pop.

Bwlch Mountain HDR by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just a question on Macro with the RX10. I'm having a go at 24mm and the Macro icon appears, then if I manually focus the viewfinder shows a zoomed in Macro view. But if I try and press the shutter at this point it zooms back out again. Is this what it's supposed to do or am I missing something?
Yes, manual focus switches to a magnified view to aid in precise focussing. The photo will be the one you see in the wide view.

Yes, manual focus switches to a magnified view to aid in precise focussing. The photo will be the one you see in the wide view.
Thanks for confirming. Thought that was the case but not come across anything like that before so thought I'd check.

Back