Beginner High ISO

Name
John Clarkson
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all
I have been playing with my camera in manual just to learn but if I like a shot , I often take a couple in full auto , just to capture it.

I have noted although I am checking my light meter and balancing things up my images are slightly dark.

In full auto the camera seems to close the aperture but up ISO into the 1000,s

I learned on here it's best to keep ISO down .

Why does camera do this to lighten the pictures

Cheers
John

To stop the depth of field being too shallow.

It would be extremely annoying for an auto user if the camera kept trying to push your aperture wide open all the time or shutter speed too slow

You get better image quality and highest detail resolution at the lowest ISO, provided other problems aren't destroying the image quality anyway. The most common other problem is camera shake, which will blur all the details you're trying to get with a low ISO. So full auto looks at the focal length of the lens and decides on a probably safe minimum shutter speed to avoid camera shake. Full auto also knows that most lenses don't provide best image quality at the widest aperture, so it closes the aperture down from widest to what it guesses is better general image quality. Having decided on shutter speed and aperture it then sets the ISO to get a good exposure.

It doesn't do all this to lighten the picture. If your use of your light meter is giving darker images than full auto gives that simply indicates that you're using a different method to calculate best exposure than your camera's full auto is using. If you think your own calculated images are too dark then there's something wrong with your method.

There is no one best method of calculating best exposure. It all depends on your purpose. Do you want to avoid blowing any highlights at all? Are you ok with blowing out small specular highlights only? Do you want to get the best balance of exposure on the main subject, and let the rest fall as it may? Do you want to be able to see just a little detail in the darkest shadows? Those will all require different exposures on the same scene.

I'm quite happy with using full manual control of my camera, since I learned my cameracraft back in the old film days when nothing auto had yet been invented. I still use full manual for specially difficult circumstances, which occur (in my photography) much less than 0.1% of the time. If like mine your camera mostly gets the exposure nearly right you might find it faster and easier, as I do, to use one of the semi-auto modes of your camera, such as aperture priority, and then get the exposure you want by a simple tweak of exposure compensation.

Would it help to focus on a mid-tone area (not too dark, not too bright), stick on exposure lock, then recompose and take the shot?

I learned on here it's best to keep ISO down

Tackling this one first, I started to composed a long and technical reply, explaining the level of digital processing and sensor signal amplification and distortion to get from what the sensor actually 'sees' to what is displayed on a screen.. but.... Short answer is that the 'notion' to keep ISO setting low, is a significantly a little legacy distortion from the days of film, when different films actually had different sensitivities, and higher ASA film, often, but not always, came with a consequent higher degree of 'grain', and it was advised to us as 'low' an ASA film as you could get away with. Hence translation to digital, 'use as low an ISO as you can'.. which isn't always that helpful.

In the Digtal-Domain, things work very differently and you have a camera, that has a sensor, that has a sensitivity, and unlike film, you cant change it! It is what it is!

When you change the ISO 'setting' you aren't changing the sensor sensitivity, only the amount of signal 'amplification' applied to the sensors out-put, before the in-camera electrickery starts to try and 'paint by numbers' from it.

The higher you set the ISO 'amplification' so the more processing error the electrickery may make, especially when deciding what 'thresholds' to use between values, which may lead to more 'noise'.. but that's not grain,and isn't all that dependent on the ISO setting, but also the contrast of the scene, and the paint-by-numbers processing that the camera does to make a data-file, or that the display device does from that data-file to make an image you look at.

CONSEQUENTLY, we often work back-to-front, in digital.

With film, first off, the range of ASA 'sensitivities' we could buy was often pretty restrictive. Often no more than 100, 200 or 400. I do recall buying film with an ASA as low as 25, or as high as 3200, but these were peculiarly rare. Now though, typical Digital SLR offers perhaps 100 ISO up to 3200 ISO maybe even more, on demand, at the touch of a button, and changeable frame by frame. Bit harder to swap films for each picture!!!

Anyway, with film, you picked a film with an ASA sort of appropriate to what you expected to shoot, then adjusted frame by frame exposure entirely on the aperture and shutter settings.

So, if you were taking landscapes, in fairly reasonable day-light, you chose 100ASA; If you were taking action shots of the school sports day, you probably picked 400ASA so you could use a faster shutter speed to avoid blur, etc etc.

You would pick your aperture and shutter-speed 'settings' to balance your exposure against that 'fixed' film speed.

NOW, in Digi-Domain, you have 'on demand' ISO seettings, over a much wider range than we ever had film ASA and you can change it shot by shot, if you wish.

So, rather than working as with film, and picking an ASA at the start and then trying to find aperture & Shutter-Speed settings to balance that to the exposure meter, and probably having to compromise something 'some-where', be that shutter speed to use a smaller aperture, or aperture to use a higher shutter-speed, or the over-all exposure to use anything 'close' to ideal....

In Dig-Domain, you can far more easily pick a shutter-speed far closer to 'ideal' to control motion blur for your subject; you can pick an aperture far close to 'ideal' to obtain the Depth-of-Field you want, and then balance the exposure setting entirely on the ISO setting to get the exposure, either to meter reading, or your own preference.

See how the 'keep the ISO down' advice is a little luddite?

You have, on a modern digital camera, usually an enormous range of possible ISO settings; My D3200, goes from ISO100, to ISO6400, plus a 'boosted' ISO 3200 equivalent! That's, a 7 stop 'range' of settings.

The lens, by comparison, has aperture settings from f3.5 up to f22... that is actually only 6 'stop' range of variability!

Possible shutter-speeds, is a bit wider. The D3200 offers up-to 1/4000th, and down-to I think 30s internally timed, but I can go pretty much as low as I want using 'bulb' and counting elephants, or borrowing the daughter's intervalometer to save my counting!

BUT, point is, shutter-sped effects motion blur; Aperture effects Depth-of-Field... these are important to the final image.. what does ISO influence?

Noise.... maybe..... remember, that is predominantly influenced by the image lighting and contrast to start with, and is only more 'likely' to become intrusive at higher ISO 'amplification' settings, AND if the original scene is lacking contrast to start with, and MORE... if you go looking for it via pixel peeping!

So, in the digital world, it makes far more sens to exploit the potential of on demand variable ISO, and pick the exact shutter-speed and aperture you think you need for your shot, then balence the exposure metering with the ISO setting,last, rather than tryng to work as with film, picking that first, then compromising the aperture and shutter to make that selected ISO settig 'work'.

Yup... it probably IS 'better' to use the lowest ISO you may, but, you now have three things you can vary, three settings to decide upon, frame by frame, and aperture and shutter still have much more practical influence on the final image, so if you don't have to compromise them, why do so, and IF you have to make a compromise why compromise those more than ISO?

In full auto the camera seems to close the aperture but up ISO into the 1000,s

See above... the camera's electrickery and 'smart-software' is't vexed by legacy 'lore'.

It is likely picking higher ISO settings than you would, because it is more concerned with the Depth of Focus, and hence the aperture setting, and potental Motion-Blur, hence the shutter speed, than it is than keeping the ISO setting down, probably mostly for its own sake, and questionable ideas about 'noise levels'.

hi all
I have been playing with my camera in manual just to learn

IF you are going to go manual..... and I do have an issue there, that every one goes manual exposure settings, because.. well, thats what the 'lore' suggests! And there's a nice easy to identify 'manual' mode on the exposure dial....

In days of old, 'manual' meant manual EVERYTHING! As said, we had to start by picking a suitable ASA film in the shop! Then we had to maually meter our scene, probably with a separate hand held meter, and then manually make aperture and shutter-speed settings, before 'manually' focusing the lens.... even more 'manually' composing our shot... and ask any wedding-snapper... when it comes to 'taking control', far more is outside of the camera, where posing wedding guests has been described as an excersize in herding cats! Or any studio photographer, where the spend more time arranging lights, or back-drops.

When it comes to the 'idea' of going manual to 'take control' its some-what short-sighted to limit that not just to what controls are on the camera, but even more, just those that effect 'exposure'!!!

I have noted although I am checking my light meter and balancing things up my images are slightly dark.

When you say 'light-meter' I assume the hi/lo level indicator either in the view-finder or on the back-screen.

Another legacy anomaly, trying to work in the legacy way of old film, I suspect.

In my old Olympus OM film camera, that has a wonderfully sophisticated metering system for a film camera of it's era, BUT... inbuilt niggle, is that an inbuilt light meter will ONLY take a meter reading of the 'reflected' light 'Through-The-Lens' or TTL.

If the 'scene' its seeing light from, is predominantly dark, say a black-cat in a coal-hole, it wont get that much light TTL, so it will try and 'up' the suggested exposure to make it brighter.

If, on the other hand, the 'scene' its seeing light from is predominantly light, say a white rabbit on a ski-slope; it will get a lot more light TTL, so it will try and 'down' the exposure to make it darker.

Ultimately, the cameras pretty 'dumb' TTL metering will try and assess the whole scene 'on average' and make a black-cat in a coal hole, just as 'grey' as it would try and make a white rabbit on a ski-slope.

The camera, for all its smart electrickery, hasn't got a clue what its looking at! Its making a best guess.

Now, I have a hand-held meter. Lovely little device, it will take either an 'incident' reading from the light falling on a scene.. or it will take a 'reflected' reading from the light reflected off the subject towards the camera.

If I take an 'incident' reading, then will get an 'average' exposure suggestion, but not dependent on how light or dark my subject may be. So my black-cat in a coal-hole, should come out darker, my white rabbit on a ski-slope should come out brighter, BUT, possibly too dark or too bright.

So I may take a couple of reflected readings off my subjects, and I can 'compare' those to an incident reading, and make my OWN average exposure value, and NOT take the meter reading as 'gospel'

Back to that Olympus OM; part of its fancy metering system is that it contains a 'spot-meter'. It cant take incident readings, only TTL reflected ones, but, the 'spot' function means that I can look at a very small portion of the scene, say a nice mid-grey paving stone, and get a 'pseudo' incdent reading. I can also take 'spot' readings of 'just' high-lights or 'just' shadows, and again, do my own sums to decide what basic exposure value to use for my settings... and fancy function of the OM4, it even has a little 'memory',I think can take four or six spot readings and its electrickery will 'average' them for me....

Now, in Digital; the camera contains a sensor. Mine claims a 24Million 'pixel' one. The sensor doesn't actually have 24 million separate receptors, I don't think, BUT... it's a digital camera, remember, its not making anything I can look at that is even close to resembling a 'picture'. It's recording numbers! (something else, probably with a screen, has to 'paint-by-numbers' to turn that data-file nto something I can look at, pictorially)

So,essentially it's not 'strictly' a camera, its a fancy light meter! It records the brightness of 24million 'spots' across my scene!

Ooooh! My sophistcated OM4 could only remember four or six of them! This little gigimo can remember MILLIONS! More, do as many 'sums' on them numbers as it likes, and with more computer power than it took to put a man on the moon, do them almost instantly!

SO.. the various 'metering modes' in a digtal camera are incredibly sophisticated. Where I could only take four or six spot readings, maybe one obviouse high-lght, one obvious shadow, maybe a couple of mid-tones, and the electrics would average them for me.... the electric-pictur-maker, may get incredibly cleaver about the business, and can take millions of 'spot' meter readings, and can then decide what the 'range' of exposure is and try and find a mid-point to get all that in, but more, can evaluate the rest of the scene, to decide how much is in between those high and low points, and come up with an 'average' exposure value, that will possibly let high-lights 'blow' or shadows 'merge' depending on how much of the scene is either, to get most detail in the mid-tones it measures most of.

Still has a couple of inbuilt problems, though. First is that it's looking at the scene 'through the lens', an still has no idea what its looking at; whether thats a white-rabbit on a ski-slope or a black-cat on a coal-hole, or weather they are in bright or dim light to start with... next it's trying to come up with just ONE exposure value... ONE good average that covers all.

A complicated 'evaluative' exposure system, can probably make a damn good job of a 'best guess' an awful lot of the time.... but, it's still flawed, trying to come up with just one exposure value, when it hasn't gt a clue what its looking at.

That 'smart' programming, though does pack a lot of smart, and will do a pretty darn good job of makng a best guess, most of the time....

But 'Go-Manual'... you turn OFF all that smart programmng!

In manual-mode, you are telling the computer-brain that YOU will decide on the best settings... not the computer.

Now, the electrickery 'defaults' and all that smart programming and evaluative maths, stops working. The exposure indicator in the view-finder or on the back-screen, will be displaying the result of a MUCH simplified 'for guidance only' metering 'average'... probably a very simple 'center weighted average' almost completely disregarding the high-light and shadow readings has taken, to give you a 'quick and simple' exposure indication for you to decide how to tweek one way or another based on what you can see, that the camera doesn't have a clue about.

Hence, it's not surprising that you get a discernible 'difference' in exposure from what the camera in an auto-mode 'calculates' is probably a pretty close best guess, to what you get exactly following the 'for guidance only' indication in the view-finder, and NOT making any adjustment from that, as the camera would, or expects you to.

And its another irony of the "Go manual" lore, that at best, following the 'for indication only' meter reading the camera offers you and making settings to balance that metering, you are often NOT taking the control you presume, you are just mimicking, likely badly, what the camera would try and do automatically for you, much more quickly and with a lot less 'faff'.

I have a number of cameras that have no inbuilt meter. I have to assess the light levels by eye or hand held meter, and then translate those assessments to camera settings. Good fun, and very involved, but also rather tedious.

I also have a few cameras that are more or less 'automatic' as far as exposure control. Simplest is my old Sigma M42 SLR. This has is a full 'manual' camera, it has a swing needle metering display in the view-finder, that gives me a 'center-weighted-average' meter reading TTL for the whole scene, but the 'coupling' only goes as far as changing the needle center for 'hi/lo' as I change the shutter-speed or aperture, which I have to set manually. The OM's are a little more automated, those, the camera sets the shutter-speed to balance what set on the aperture.

On the Sigma, I may be a 'slave to the meter' and ai to always expose when the needle middle. But dont have to. On the Olympus, they try and make me a slave-to-the-needle, setting the shutter speed, to cetre the needle... though can over-ride that usng exposur compensation, or switching to full-manual... which can be more involved and more interestng ad more fun...

BUT... I didn't buy an all singing all dancing electric picture maker with more computing power than a NASA moon-shot project... to chuck that all out the window, and use it like that swing-needle-Sigma! May as well use the Sigma ad be a bit more involved in the job, and not have to spend £1000 to do it!

Which is where this notion that you 'need' to go manual, and then limit yourself to merely going manual as far as exposure control, to 'take control' of that incy little bit, and nothing else, can start to bite you in the bum!

Idea that 'The Pro's Shoot Manual' is something I dont agree with. A pro is so 'cos they get paid! Not necessarily because they are any good! and when you get paid.. time s money! Folk dont pay for pro's to 'faff', they pay them to take photo's! I haven't met many genuine 'pros' who exclusively shoot manual, they use as much automatic easement as they can, to save 'faff' and make money! Thats their job! Going 'manual' as a exercise in displaying camera dexterity, seems to me more something of the amateur arena where there's little or no commercial incentive... but still.

Go manual 'To Learn'.... err... yeah.

I used to teach folk to ride motorbikes... curiously, and it still keeps cropping up, the idea of grabbing a little 125 'cos you don't have to have lessons, and 'teaching yourself' still crops up.... sure you can do it.. but going it alone, like that, no one tells you what to do, what works... you have to work it out for yourself, from your mistakes.. which on a motorbike tends to mean crashing... that can some-what damp any saving fro not buying a lesson... as well as hurt!

In photography, grabbing a camera and trying to 'teach yourself' doesn't have (quite!) the same risk as gabbing a motorbike, and teaching yourself, BUT, you still only learn from your mistakes, and while they may not hurt so much, working out what you did wrong can be a lot more involved.

If you want to 'learn' don't try and do it by trial and error, go get lessons! Learn to do it 'right' right at the start.

And IF you want to learn... look at the big picture... which IS the picture. Messing with 'settings' s but a tiny part of that, and so much more s outside the camera than can ever be in it...

So IF you wat to lear anything, look at the whole field of what you could learn, and go tackle the thing most lkely to make most difference...

Exposure Metering is but one tiny bit of the entirety, and whilst knowing what aperture and shutter speed can do for you, is helpful, understanding metering and where and when, you probably DON'T have to argue with the cameras exposure metering is just as important, and ultimately, unless you are a complete masochist or pedant, going manual (exposure!) settings, is NOT something that is in any-way mandatory, and oft not even that beneficial... IF you understand what the auto-modes are trying to do for you, and how to exploit that small 'easement' to let you concentrate on stuff that IS far more likely to help you get better photo's, like composition, like finding photogenic scenes to start with, like taking control outside the camera, etc etc etc.

Ie, there's some reason for what you have found by trial and error, but in terms of your actual objectives you could be heading down a bit f a blind alley.

I have no clue what settings a camera is going to choose or why in Program Auto. That's because it's some kind of smart algorithm that weighs the various factors, and probably the scene type (i.e. Nikon's scene recognition system), and decides on what it thinks is the best compromise. And it's not always favoring one factor over another. Exactly what/why it's choosing what it does is not documented anywhere, so it's impossible to know... That's the reason I don't use full Program Auto (unless I really just don't care).

The reason your manual mode images are slightly dark comparatively is likely due to metering mode/scene recognition differences I would guess... it's also worth noting that the camera can choose/use exposure settings that you can't select manually (i.e. 1/2 stop shutter speeds in between the 1/3 stop choices), so it can be more accurate than you can.

Why does camera do this to lighten the pictures

I think the question isn’t ‘why is the camera lightening the pictures’ but why are you purposefully underexposing them?

The ‘received wisdom’ that high ISO’s are bad is simply wrong. A correctly exposed high iso image will show less noise than a low iso underexposed image rescued in post.

Before you take full control manually, you really should first understand the pros and cons of your decisions. There’s a school of thought that suggests learning by just doing it is effective. That’s plain wrong, missing shots because you would rather control exposure incorrectly is plain stupid.

As another relative beginner, this whole auto ISO business leaves me scratching my head a little. I have a pretty good understanding of the exposure triangle, DOF etc. so that's not my problem.
I've constantly hearing (and reading) a lot about "exposing to the right" because a slightly over exposed image corrected in post, has lower noise than an under exposed image corrected in post, or even a correctly exposed image. To me it seems that Auto ISO removes a certain amount of control over the exposure.
When in auto ISO:
Aperture priority - I set aperture, camera software sets shutter and ISO, but does it give me slowest speed and lowest ISO or fastest speed and highest ISO. I can still set exposure compensation to under/over expose should I wish to.
Shutter priority - I set shutter speed, camera software sets aperture and ISO, but does it give me largest aperture and lowest ISO or smallest aperture and highest ISO. As above I can still set exposure compensation to under/over expose should I wish to.
Manual - I set shutter and aperture and the auto ISO "completes the triangle" and sets the exposure; I no longer have complete control. The ability to "expose to the right" or left for that matter) has disappeared.
(Full Auto - don't care what happens, I never use it.)
As usual the manual gives no information other than "this is how to set auto ISO".

When in auto ISO:
Aperture priority - I set aperture, camera software sets shutter and ISO, but does it give me slowest speed and lowest ISO or fastest speed and highest ISO. I can still set exposure compensation to under/over expose should I wish to.
Shutter priority - I set shutter speed, camera software sets aperture and ISO, but does it give me largest aperture and lowest ISO or smallest aperture and highest ISO. As above I can still set exposure compensation to under/over expose should I wish to.
Manual - I set shutter and aperture and the auto ISO "completes the triangle" and sets the exposure; I no longer have complete control. The ability to "expose to the right" or left for that matter) has disappeared.

When in Aperture priority, I choose the aperture and set a minimum shutter speed to maintain a sharp shot, don’t need to care about ISO (which is a blessing, I need a shot, not a discussion about noise)

I don’t use Shutter priority often enough to comment.

Most Nikon’s and only some Canons allow exp comp when using ‘manual’ with auto ISO, but without exp comp, you’re right it’s pointless.

When in Aperture priority, I choose the aperture and set a minimum shutter speed to maintain a sharp shot, don’t need to care about ISO (which is a blessing, I need a shot, not a discussion about noise)
And here's the problem, with the older and lower end camera's, you can't set a minimum shutter speed. So you tend to have to go manual or shutter priority.

And here's the problem, with the older and lower end camera's, you can't set a minimum shutter speed. So you tend to have to go manual or shutter priority.

TBH a camera with no option to set a minimum SS really doesn't have workable 'Auto ISO'.

Is auto ISO necessary for beginners?

I'd say having it makes learning how aperture and SS affect an image much easier. From experience with trying to help at least 3 capable people understand the exposure triangle having auto ISO giving one less thing to worry about would have or did help hugely.

In theory and to us it is obvious but a lot of beginners still struggle to understand the relationship.

Auto this, auto that.

Pah!

I started with a fully manual Canon TX SLR and HAD to learn how to use it properly to get decent images.

Forget auto ISO for a start.

Choose aperture priority, manual ISO, buy a decent tripod & cable release and learn about the correlation between shutter speed, aperture and ISO.
There are plenty of books on the subject and Google will almost certainly help you here.

Get the basics right and you can then concentrate on composition, recognizing the right light etc.

Auto this, auto that.

Pah!

I started with a fully manual Canon TX SLR and HAD to learn how to use it properly to get decent images.

Forget auto ISO for a start.

Choose aperture priority, manual ISO, buy a decent tripod & cable release and learn about the correlation between shutter speed, aperture and ISO.
There are plenty of books on the subject and Google will almost certainly help you here.

Get the basics right and you can then concentrate on composition, recognizing the right light etc.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry, I’ll try to compose myself. Let’s get to grips with ‘we all learn differently’.

I shot my first 100,000 images on a fully manual camera.

And I learnt more in the first 6 months shooting with an ‘auto’ camera than I did in the first 6 years shooting manual.

It’s a s*** way for me to learn, and therefore may be for others too.

And now let’s get to grips with ‘we don’t all shoot the same things’.

I almost never use a tripod, in fact my tripod gets used more as an impromptu light stand than it does a camera support. There are plenty more like me. There’s nothing universal about the advice to use a tripod, it’s nonsense for millions.

What’s the benefit of exposing incorrectly for newbies in the digital age?

I’ll give you the disadvantage; they’ll misunderstand that their fixing the exposure in post is part of what the great photographers call ‘making the best of your image in post production’, which then leads to confusion about PP being ‘cheating’, and their thousands of bad exposures lead to a destruction of confidence.

What took me 20 years to learn to do with manual film cameras and books takes a kid 6 months with modern digital cameras and the internet. Isn’t progress fantastic?

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry, I’ll try to compose myself. Let’s get to grips with ‘we all learn differently’.

I shot my first 100,000 images on a fully manual camera.

And I learnt more in the first 6 months shooting with an ‘auto’ camera than I did in the first 6 years shooting manual.

It’s a s*** way for me to learn, and therefore may be for others too.

And now let’s get to grips with ‘we don’t all shoot the same things’.

I almost never use a tripod, in fact my tripod gets used more as an impromptu light stand than it does a camera support. There are plenty more like me. There’s nothing universal about the advice to use a tripod, it’s nonsense for millions.

What’s the benefit of exposing incorrectly for newbies in the digital age?

I’ll give you the disadvantage; they’ll misunderstand that their fixing the exposure in post is part of what the great photographers call ‘making the best of your image in post production’, which then leads to confusion about PP being ‘cheating’, and their thousands of bad exposures lead to a destruction of confidence.

What took me 20 years to learn to do with manual film cameras and books takes a kid 6 months with modern digital cameras and the internet. Isn’t progress fantastic?

All I'm stating is how I learnt, and it worked. I can only give the benefit from my own experience.

Maybe I'm a faster learner than you were?

All I'm stating is how I learnt, and it worked. I can only give the benefit from my own experience.

Maybe I'm a faster learner than you were?
Exactly my point...
Different people learn differently. ;)

Or maybe you considered yourself an expert whilst I thought you still had a lot to learn ;)

Last edited:
What a strange way to answer some good and well meant advice.
It might have been ‘well neant’ But it was objectively incorrect.

As a trainer, setting someone up to fail is counterproductive; and your advice taken at face value sets people up to fail. Your assertion that ‘it never did me any harm’ doesn’t justify it.

I’d suggest it’s better to teach people to learn to build on their successes.

Go back to the original post, the OP has been shooting manually and ‘getting it wrong’ but rather than trying to come to terms with that, he’s questioning why his camera chooses ‘too high’ an ISO in order to get it right. He’s fallen for the internet b******t that:
  • Learning in Manual is best
  • Keep your ISO as low as possible makes better quality images
Which is counterproductive to him actually ‘learning’ anything. Those ‘well meaning’ mantras have taught him nothing about photography, even though they could be seen as being objectively true.

I thought this was the case with my Oly E-M10 mk2 but a search on the interweb has revealed that, either by accident or design, the min shutter speed is tied to the slow flash min shutter speed, as long as the ISO does not hit it's upper limit(after which it will reduce below set min speed).
A separate menu selection would have been nice though Mr Olympus.

• Learning in Manual is best
  • Keep your ISO as low as possible makes better quality images

I fall exactly into this category. I have a major fear of high ISO. I have always tried to get a shot using aperture and SS only, whilst keeping the ISO at 100, no matter how long the shutter takes. I've got a lot to learn.

I fall exactly into this category. I have a major fear of high ISO. I have always tried to get a shot using aperture and SS only, whilst keeping the ISO at 100, no matter how long the shutter takes. I've got a lot to learn.
Likewise, all I have heard since getting into photography is "keep the ISO as low as possible".

The internet has a lot of great advice, but you really need to know what to filter and when you know little, that gets difficult.
Manual offers no advantage if all you’re doing is chasing the meter. Most pro photographers shoot a semi auto mode.
A blurred photo is useless, a noisy sharp photo has value.

I too was stuck on ISO100 as a learner, due to the film I used.

Then ISO 64 or 50 for ultimate quality, but as above I wasted thousands of hours learning what was wrong. In those days a ‘good photograph’ was correctly exposed and in focus. Nowadays all my recycle bin contains is correctly exposed and in focus.

Modern cameras allow photographers to choose what to control to ‘create’, rather than to ‘attempt to capture’.

I started to composed a long and technical reply....
....but you managed to limit yourself to just a shade over 3,000 words. Admirable restraint.

As another relative beginner, this whole auto ISO business leaves me scratching my head a little. I have a pretty good understanding of the exposure triangle, DOF etc. so that's not my problem.
I've constantly hearing (and reading) a lot about "exposing to the right" because a slightly over exposed image corrected in post, has lower noise than an under exposed image corrected in post, or even a correctly exposed image. To me it seems that Auto ISO removes a certain amount of control over the exposure.
When in auto ISO:
(Full Auto - don't care what happens, I never use it.)
As usual the manual gives no information other than "this is how to set auto ISO".

Expose To The Right (ETTR) refers to the right-hand side of the histogram, not the needle in the viewfinder. It's an advanced technique that needs knowledge and judgement on a scene by scene basis. Benefits are marginal, and the downside (of blown highlights) is very real if you get it wrong. Not for JPEG mode, or everything will look over-exposed - you need to shoot Raw and post-process.

The mantra of 'low ISO is best' is less true now than ever as sensor technology marches forward. Yes, low ISO gives least noise and greatest dynamic range, but you'd be hard pressed to tell with many modern cameras, and there are major benefits to using higher ISO that gives you much more scope to optimise shutter speed and lens aperture.

Likewise, all I have heard since getting into photography is "keep the ISO as low as possible".

I think the trouble is that a lot of the thought process and advice is carry over from film days where there two significant differences to shooting digital. Firstly, that you had to select an ISO value and stick to it for that roll (ignoring swapping backs etc, you know what I mean!) and secondly that even stuff we'd consider to be low ISO now, was very noisy and what might be considered high ISO in the digital era would be either impossible or a total mess on film. Digital cameras with reasonable size sensors are almost universally amazing at high ISO now.

Regarding that first point. When shooting film, ISO is one of the first considerations when thinking about what you're going to be shooting. You load your film to account for it. With digital, I see it as the total opposite, ISO is the last consideration or not a consideration at all if you're letting the camera choose. We make creative choices about aperture or shutter speed to suit what we shoot. The ISO value is just whatever is needed to suit the other two variables and achieve the desired exposure.

It's true that all things being equal, a lower ISO value should give a cleaner image but you should never allow that to compromise the image.

For example, let's say, I'm shooting my daughter cycling towards me on a gloomy day.

I could shoot at f/2.8, 1/1000s ISO 1600 and get a nice sharp image with a bit of noise.
Or I could shoot at f/2.8 1/60s ISO 100. My exposure is the same so my image will be just as bright (if I've done my maths right!) and it'll be clean as a whistle with no noticeable noise but it's going to get deleted because my daughter is going to be blurry.

So if I use my normal Aperture priority/manual settings, and let the camera choose the ISO (AUTO) , how good is t at choosing the correct ISO? I have a Nikon D7200.
I tried this once with a little compact camera system (Olympus pen EM-1-14MP) and it cranked it up to 16000 and gave really noisy shots.

So if I use my normal Aperture priority/manual settings, and let the camera choose the ISO (AUTO) , how good is t at choosing the correct ISO? I have a Nikon D7200.
I tried this once with a little compact camera system (Olympus pen EM-1-14MP) and it cranked it up to 16000 and gave really noisy shots.

With the Nikon 7200, In the Photo shooting menu, set your Auto ISO to on with an ISO setting of 100. Then just set the Maximum sensitivity to your preferred maximum (eg. 3200).

My main criteria would be shooting aviation type shots in low-ish light. This is where I have failed before. What would you recommend as a maximum ISO for dull/dusk conditions to retain a workable shutter speed?

My main criteria would be shooting aviation type shots in low-ish light. This is where I have failed before. What would you recommend as a maximum ISO for dull/dusk conditions to retain a workable shutter speed?

Just do some experiments in your likely conditions, start at maximum 1600 then work upwards ?

My main criteria would be shooting aviation type shots in low-ish light.
Depends on how badly you want the images... sometimes I'll compromise the settings risking "no shot" in the hopes that any I do get will be better.
On any of the D5xxx, D7xxx or D8xx, the highest ISO I am generally happy with in low light is 800. The highest ISO I will use for personal use is 1600, unless it's an image I must have in which case even 6400 is usually acceptable.

It should be noted that the issue isn't the ISO amplification... that doesn't cause much noise at all (if any). It's due to not collecting enough light and photon shot noise being recorded (and amplified). You can use higher ISO in stronger light with less noise (typically at least 1 stop). For instance, I will frequently allow ISO 1600 on the D810 for moderate light in order to get an even higher SS (1/1600 at 800mm f/8). But in low light I am more likely to hold ISO 800 until the SS drops below usable... at which point it's time to pack up.

Last edited:
The point to remember is that it’s not a ‘choice’ it’s z calculation. A noisy shot isn’t useless if the light available means a blurry shot or a severely underexposed shot.
If you need 5.6 and 1/1000 sec, the ‘correct’ exposure might be 1600, choosing 400 isn’t going to improve anything, it’ll just be 2 stops under. 1/250 might give you a correct exposure but the subject will have movement.

The camera isn’t making a subjective decision, it’s calculating the ‘correct’ exposure.

This wasmy experience too,trying to keep iso super low and ending up binning loads of shaky blurry shots.my mantra now ,better a noisy sharp image than a clean blurry binned image

To get a good image depends on what you are shooting. If it doesn’t move you have a real advantage. Ie low iso aperture set to get the best shot and shutter speed also for best shot. If it’s moving then we have a different ball game. I want to take a bif, I want a good image so dof is important so is shutter speed. So iso now comes into play. This where you should know your gear and what it can do

I learned on here it's best to keep ISO down .

You need to UN learn this....... Some situations high ISO is required.. Some situations high ISO and a grain is wanted.. imagine shooting a heavy rock band in a pub.. a perfectly clean no noise low iso pic will look nice and clean.. a high iso pic with some noise showing will look better... just one example :)

there is nothing set in stone when it comes to photography. nobody should ever say this is how you do somehting or you should always do this or that... because that's all wrong..

think relative... i can shoot a pic at iso 6400 make an a3 print and it looks perfect.. someone with a different camera can do that same with iso 640 and it be noisy

Last edited:
I always set the maximum auto ISO value in the menu to double what I would try to keep the ISO down to. With the D7100 I was happy with ISO1600 so auto ISO was set to ISO3200. Having that little extra felt like I had that bit extra movement if the light changed quickly.

One thing to remember that helped me get past the notion of low ISO is always best was that it's only photographers that obsess by noise, no one else ever looks at an image and says it would be better if there was less noise.

I can shoot a pic at iso 6400 make an a3 print and it looks perfect.. someone with a different camera can do that same with iso 640 and it be noisy
This is good point. Also everyone's perception of noise is different, from the same camera some may be happy with a higher ISO some not.

Back