Hiking solution

Edit My Images
No
I am trying to find the best solution to carry a decent sized DSLR with lens that is easily accessible as well as having a rucksack to carry extra lenses, food, waterproofs etc whilst walking/hiking.
At the moment I have a Lowepro flipside 400aw, which is a great rucksack, but I either have to keep stopping to get the camera out or put it away or leave it bouncing around my neck.
I have looked at the Black rapid straps but the idea of having all that weight bouncing around my hip, surely cannot do the camera or my hip and good.
I like the idea of the Cotton Carrier system, a little pretentious for around town, hopefully not in the woods,, but it seems easy to get the camera out whilst minimising bounce.
However as this is based on a rucksack strap system, I don’t think another rucksack on top would work well.
I have also seen the Think Tank straps, though it doesn’t look as good a system as the Cotton Carrier.
Ideally a Cotton Carrier front with a rucksack on the back, has anybody found a good solution to this or am I after something that doesn’t exist...........

Have you looked at Peak Design products? They do a clip that would attach to the strap of your existing rucksack at the front.

Bags are notoriously hard to find a perfect solution for, most end up owning many different ones for different applications. I feel like you may be after something that doesn't exactly exist. Flipside looks like a good option though.

A bit more pricey, but have a look at FStop and Mindshift I have an FStop Ajna with small ICU got longer days and waterproofs and a Mindshift Panorama for short outings (nice weather). For a DSLR I would look at the larger variants ( I think there’s an FStop and medium ICU in the classifieds at the moment (get joining in and you’ll soon have access ;) Igbo be worth looking at the Capture Clip too for walking about without putting the camera away

I'm after something on the same lines, haven't found it yet. A Nanneu Pro Alpha but larger again is what I'm after.

The capture clip looks like a good solution for carrying the camera whilst walking, I could use that with the flipside 400aw until I find something a little more back country.

Weird.
Forty years ago, when I took up photography, I was bagging Munros and skiing at home and abroad.
I used a small rucksack generally for skiing, nothing special. I carried a Yashica or a Contax with a 28mm, 50mm and an 80-200.

As for Munro bagging I decided it was more important to carry survival gear, as well as food and water. I still took my camera equipment but it was secondary to the main reason for having a rucksack.

Photography rucksacks are pretty useless for carrying anything over and above your camera gear. It depends where your priorities lie, or if you are just having a saunter :)

I have a clip (not a Peak one a cheaper one off Amazon) and it is fine for the Olympus but I wouldn't want to have a big DSLR on it. I use a Joby sling strap for the DSLR. What I like about the Joby strap is that it is very easy to shorten and lengthen, which means that the camera is not bouncing around when not in use, I just tighten the strap and it sits very snugly at my side with very little movement.

Can’t say I ever had an issue with the security of the Capture Clip (although I did have the proper one from PD), happily held my 5D3 with 70-200 2.8 and also a Sigma 120-300 Sport.

The genuine Capture Clip will easily carry a DSLR and decent lens. Been using mine for a couple of years now without any problems whatsoever.

I always use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/TECH-Reporter-Backpack-System-Connectors/dp/B0010HA68I

Yes there is a little bounce, nothing like a neckstrap and it can be minimized if the straps are kept fairly short.
The clips lock securely and never had any problems, been using mine very regularly for five years or more.

They also do a little harness thing which I also have, but doesn't get much use because mainly have my rucksack on
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/optec...MIgsHHvIDr2AIVip3tCh302QnNEAQYASABEgLB6vD_BwE

I am trying to find the best solution to carry a decent sized DSLR with lens that is easily accessible as well as having a rucksack to carry extra lenses, food, waterproofs etc whilst walking/hiking.
However as this is based on a rucksack strap system, I don’t think another rucksack on top would work well.

Cotton Carrier to an attachment to fit onto your existing rucksack straps, and the other system that does the same is the Spider . As well as the Peak Design clip that others have mentioned.

I have the peak design clip but don't like having the weight of a DSLR on the bag strap as I don't find it comfortable as weight distribution isn't equal. I also have the Flipside 400 and wear my peak design slide at the same time. The camera moves/bounces around FAR less than with a black rapid strap (which I also have) and you can still slide the strap around if you want to take a photo.

Last edited:
Can’t say I ever had an issue with the security of the Capture Clip (although I did have the proper one from PD), happily held my 5D3 with 70-200 2.8 and also a Sigma 120-300 Sport.
The genuine Capture Clip will easily carry a DSLR and decent lens. Been using mine for a couple of years now without any problems whatsoever.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting the clip I have was not secure or would not carry a DSLR, just that personallyI don't find the weight of a FF DSLR plus lens comfortable over long distances clipped to a rucksack shoulder strap or waist belt.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am easily pleased, but I simply have a long OpTech strap which enables me to sling the camera crosswise so it sits on my left hip. I can very easily carry a rucksack etc as well, the camera is secure; mostly it has a 100-400 ii on. I have never felt the need for anything fancier.

How about a LowePro TopLoader or similar? Can be used as a belt pouch of attached to a suitable loop on a rucksack.

I have the peak design clip but don't like having the weight of a DSLR on the bag strap as I don't find it comfortable as weight distribution isn't equal. I also have the Flipside 400 and wear my peak design slide at the same time. The camera moves/bounces around FAR less than with a black rapid strap (which I also have) and you can still slide the strap around if you want to take a photo.
That intresting been looking at both of these straps, what sort of weight do you carry on the peak design slide?

That intresting been looking at both of these straps, what sort of weight do you carry on the peak design slide?
Carried a lot of combos, with the heaviest being my D750 and Tamron 150-600mm. I contacted peak design prior to using it and they advised me that it can take much more weight then this.

I use a standard rucksack with a cheap camera insert in the place where you'd normally stuff a sleeping bag. Cheap and works :)

Many thanks for your replies,
You have given me plenty of ideas, I am going to look closely at the Peak Design gear, the slide and the clip.
I also have a toploader which could be attached to a belt or my AW400.
I can mock up a strap similar to the slide to see how it sits with Me wearing the rucksack at the same time.
Happy Hiking ;)

Many thanks for your replies,
You have given me plenty of ideas, I am going to look closely at the Peak Design gear, the slide and the clip.
I also have a toploader which could be attached to a belt or my AW400.
I can mock up a strap similar to the slide to see how it sits with Me wearing the rucksack at the same time.
Happy Hiking ;)

They do an additional strap/ harness for the Toploader that allows it to sit on your chest/stomach .....I have the larger one that takes something like a 1 dx plus 70-200 lens and can still wear a rucksack....I just use the clip on the Toploader to secure the top flap for quick access...

Thanks for the replies, and just to update you, I have purchased the Peak Design slide, and I have been able to use it today properly for the first time albeit minus racksack, and it is a fantastic strap.
I found it so easy to walk around without realising that I had it on, but equally it being so easy to grab the camera and take a shot or two. No swing at all was noticed.
Not cheap but definitely worth the money, and also the fact that I can leave my tripod mount on makes it all the better.
I will be trying it out properly soon with a rack-sack up in the Peak District strangely enough, thanks for all your replies, greatly appreciated.

Back