Hmm, time to dump flickr and finally build my own website?

You know what's written here? Look for: "7. Backup Policy" https://www.flickr.com/help/terms

Just a place for having your pictures always available online, but nothing I would rely on.
They do have a way to "download all content" as a zip file... almost as good as any other service really.

I use Flickr as a temporary backup. I have a free account which I dump images into as I'm editing. I store my edits in private albums as I'm working. I find it very convenient.

Obviously I have other backup methods and my images are usually put in three different locations. I will be purchasing Pro as I want to continue doing this and the price is quite reasonable compared to other cloud storage. The only drawback is its's jpeg only, no place for RAW files.

Today I discovered a "give Pro" link on pages of non Pro users. So I could pay for someone for a year ($ 35). ;)

What other competitively priced, cloud based storage is there that lays out your images in a gallery format and allows you to orgainize into albums? I need to either pay for Pro or find a better alternative.
I like Flickr for this and of course the ability to download at full resolution unlike other free platforms out there.

What other competitively priced, cloud based storage is there that lays out your images in a gallery format and allows you to orgainize into albums? I need to either pay for Pro or find a better alternative.
I like Flickr for this and of course the ability to download at full resolution unlike other free platforms out there.
Your own website/server that you're already paying for...

Your own website/server that you're already paying for...

My website is hosted by Weebly. Once I upload to my website, I can't download my images back at full resolution. The images get awfully compressed. I add galleries on my website for client viewing only. If they right click/save image they get a low res image.

Flickr still wins in the ability to download at different resolutions giving me that safety net if I lose work and want to retrieve images.

My website is hosted by Weebly. Once I upload to my website, I can't download my images back at full resolution. The images get awfully compressed. I add galleries on my website for client viewing only. If they right click/save image they get a low res image.

Flickr still wins in the ability to download at different resolutions giving me that safety net if I lose work and want to retrieve images.
You don't have admin access to the server/c-panel?

Requested my Flickr Data recently...6 Zip files were sent to me promptly.
Downloaded 5 of the Zip files, then copied/backed up those again.

No going back now ;)...i wont be paying for a Pro account(i did give this some thought 1st though).
So far, ive deleted approx 800 images from my photostream(which wiped out over 200 000+ views)...no big deal!
Still have to delete another 466 images, to get me below the 1000 photos allowed for a freebie account!
My Bird pics were easy enough to delete...but im struggling to delete many more Butterfly/Vipera berus(Adder) images!

I can kinda see why a lot of people will go Pro though...especially if they have big number images in their Stream!...its been tedious/time consuming to go through all my pics, an choose which will stay, an which will go!...nice trip down memory lane though, because i can remember how/why/where/when i took those shots............but i dont need to pay 50 bucks a year for those memories ;)

As a side note, checked out/joined 500px(not active on there yet though)...spent some time viewing the kinda subjects/images that interest me...an it seems that a lot of poor photoshoppin/editing is popular on 500px..............an whats with all these edited/fake reflection type images on there???!!!

Oh well, onwards an upwards.

Heads up guys!
If you have unsubscribed, and your subscription runs out in November you can use the FLICKRPRO30 code for the $39.99 price
the code runs out in Nov. but they may extend it .. ? who know's?
Just go to your account and "Upgrade" (y)
(Thats what I did and its been confirmed)

edit, btw I paid with PP and they have debited me with £28.33 GBP so not too bad :)

Last edited:
Heads up guys!
If you have unsubscribed, and your subscription runs out in November you can use the FLICKRPRO30 code for the $39.99 price

edit, btw I paid with PP and they have debited me with £28.33 GBP so not too bad :)

yep just cost me £28.33 also

eek just seen my pics have had 672,794 views :eek:

Last edited:
Heads up guys!

Thanks for that - just done the upgrade.

yep just cost me £28.33 also

eek just seen my pics have had 672,794 views :eek:

ya git just had to look at my stats after seeing that , :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: NA NA NA BEAT YA :beer: WAIT FOR IT 7,071,271 views :naughty:

Heads up guys!

Flipping 'eck!,

Exchange rate's gone down - just paid £28.43.

Exchange rate's gone down - just paid £28.43.
Holy crap! another 10p that's outrageous :D
Depends on how you paid perhaps? different banks / CC's seem to have different exchange rates.
I paid with PP

I paid with paypal on Wednesday evening and paid £28.50.I got robbed! :LOL:

Clearly there's slight fluctuations from day to day.

If only we did it the other week I think it would have been £27.83 :(
And next week it'll be £35 odd :D
Unless of course they relent and carry the discount code into Dec.

Just noticed an ad on flickr (only ad's I've ever seen on flickr always seem to be by them!!). It looks like they have followed up last months 30% discount with a 15% discount offer so works out to currently be $42.50 or £33.38 at current exchange rates.

Just noticed an ad on flickr (only ad's I've ever seen on flickr always seem to be by them!!). It looks like they have followed up last months 30% discount with a 15% discount offer so works out to currently be $42.50 or £33.38 at current exchange rates.
That is probably why they have to charge.

That is probably why they have to charge.
I find it amusing that a benefit of the pro accounts is that its ‘ad free’. Flickr ads aren’t exactly intrusive as they just look like someone’s photo upload and the only ‘ads’ are theirs. If they had annoying pop up ads everywhere it would be didn’t but it’s a case of blink and you miss it.

Example of a Flickr ad (note this ad was displaying today- a little out of date!):

All Photos-1383 by -Rob - Nikon-

Me too. Until I read this thread I assumed they were third party spam and used to report them!

I get those even with an ad blocker running...

.... Then perhaps it's time to change your ad blocker.

I use Adblock Plus (all my machines/devices are Apple) and it has the option to very easily disable/enable blocking on individual sites just by a dropdown with tick box to toggle. So for example if I want to watch a TV programme on catchup the TV companies don't allow a programme to be viewed if ad blocks are enabled, so I just temporarily disable the block until I have finished watching the programme. Adblock Plus even works on Facebook.

In spite of not seeing any ads on Flickr anyway I still decided to go PRO to try it out.

Just deleted 4500+ photos from one of my Flickr accounts before they do ! I have saved them in two physical locations to protect from catastrophe. I have used (as I can guess many others have) Flickr for hosting photos for other forums in the past and Flickr Groups so I'm guessing this will have quite a large affect with everyone combined on a lot of forums and Flickr users. I cannot blame them as like all businesses they need to make money but can see Flickr disappearing into history as a result of this. I've kept the account open so I can watch what happens !

After several years of extremely light use on Flickr I might finally have an incentive to stay :D

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 12.25.30 by SalesPhotos69, on Flickr

.... Hmm, she looks quite respectable compared with some. it would be rude to say no :LOL:

I find Flickr and also Instagram are quite good at keeping those up to no good at bay although of course some do get through occasionally but not for long.

I'm much more interested in some of the cars you have pics of on your page! Ace Cafe petrolhead!!

.... Hmm, she looks quite respectable compared with some. it would be rude to say no :LOL:

I find Flickr and also Instagram are quite good at keeping those up to no good at bay although of course some do get through occasionally but not for long.

I'm much more interested in some of the cars you have pics of on your page! Ace Cafe petrolhead!!
Haha yes I like my cars, last count i've owned 81 in the last 35 years, change them more often than my pants :D

I don't remember when the date for the switchover is, but I know its soon, I've been mulling it over for a bit whether to gopro or not but on looking again today at £50 just after christmas, think Im gonna pass unless i can find a decent discount code.

Back