Hmm, time to dump flickr and finally build my own website?

I don't remember when the date for the switchover is, but I know its soon, I've been mulling it over for a bit whether to gopro or not but on looking again today at £50 just after christmas, think Im gonna pass unless i can find a decent discount code.

Have you tried the link with the discount (posted by cobra IIRC) further back in the thread?

In reality $49.99 equates to £38.38p
Well that's interesting its now £47.88!
( there is still 15% off for now at least)

I wonder if it will be 50 quid to renew next year? I'm hoping that they'll have a discount offer in November to keep those who signed up this year from deciding being 'pro' wasn't worth it.

I wonder if it will be 50 quid to renew next year?
I'm sure they'll round it up, ;)

Its taking the p*** a little IMO. I guess they realised that quite a few people were still hooked and decided to go ( almost) ££ for $$ !

I'm sure they'll round it up, ;)

Its taking the p*** a little IMO. I guess they realised that quite a few people were still hooked and decided to go ( almost) ££ for $$ !

I got mine for about £29 this year, but failing making some amazing sales of images through flickr (about zero likelihood) I definitely won't do it for £49.99.

Yeah, even with the 15% I just cant seem to actually pay it as when i first logged to the price it was in dollars which with the currency conversion thought would be ok, but nah, think Ill let my flickr become one of those for hosting ebay photos and the like to be honest.

I got mine for about £29 this year,
Just checked mine was £28.33. this year next year if the status quo remains that's about a 60% rise next time ( I think thats right? )

but failing making some amazing sales of images through flickr (about zero likelihood)
I have never ever made any money from flickr, but then I don't pimp images anywhere ....
I purely use it for hosting, I now have a year to re-asses my options :)

Yeah, even with the 15% I just cant seem to actually pay it as when i first logged to the price it was in dollars
It was in $$ when I paid it, I paid with PP and the conversion rate wasn't too terrible either ( as above)

Me neither. £50 PA for hosting is more than I'm willing to pay.
The problem is I have nearly 3000 images on there and downloading and transferring will be a PITA ( and they know it ;)
Rather like the utilities companies that bank on people not shopping around ;)
But as above I have 11 odd months to look out alternatives

Well that's interesting its now £47.88!
I hadn't noticed they had swapped from $'s to £'s and kept it the roughly the same numerical number but forgetting any exchange rate. I was thinking of giving pro another try even if it was going to be $50. Charging nearly £50 for UK Customers is just ridiculous when it's $50 for US customers. That's taking advantage of customers. I would be happy to pay in dollars and let me bank work out the cost in pounds at the current exchange rate. To me it just sounds like them taking advantage and charging what they feel they can get away with. Sadly that's now the final nail in the Flickr coffin for me

I hadn't noticed they had swapped from $'s to £'s and kept it the roughly the same numerical number but forgetting any exchange rate. I was thinking of giving pro another try even if it was going to be $50. Charging nearly £50 for UK Customers is just ridiculous when it's $50 for US customers. That's taking advantage of customers. I would be happy to pay in dollars and let me bank work out the cost in pounds at the current exchange rate. To me it just sounds like them taking advantage and charging what they feel they can get away with. Sadly that's now the final nail in the Flickr coffin for me

That's VAT.

I have 35,388 images on my Flickr, im not paying the price they are asking, if it was £20 or below id take it.

I wonder if they will offer better deals after the cut off for those who didn't purchase, my guess is they will.

If they vanish, they vanish.

Whoops forgot about this until the not so gentle reminder when I logged into Flickr tonight! Is there no discount for those who prefer to pay monthly?

I bet you could use a US proxy to get $$ prices but honestly they just keep pushing their crappy (JPEG-only) cloud option far too hard. I bet in a year's time there will be new owners, and likely for smugmug too :)

Well, I just downloaded all my albums from there just in case I decide not to bother. A lot of older stuff on there I only have on there! Thankfully I always upped in full res

I re-newed the discount price over a month ago, (iirc) but I keep getting offers to join as a pro.
With a discount code. 15% was the last one.
It says pro on my front page, so I just hope its something they send to everyone..

Last edited:
I have a few questions please folks....

I'm a pro member at the mo but not really seeing any benefits - TBH I paid it last year to see what it was all about and as far as I can see, you get more storage space and a few stats.

So, when they start asking for more money, if you do not review, I assume you just revert to non-pro and if you are over your storage limit, they'll just dump images accordingly?

Second question - i'm sure I read somewhere, but can't find it now - do they auto renew or do they give you the option to renew. I'm sure I read somewhere that they auto renew?

Thanks all

I certainly wont be getting the pro upgrade as I simply cant afford it, but I won't be dropping flickr either. My only real gripe is that I've had to cull the images on there, but since I tended to put them up to share online, and then forget about them it was more an inconvenience than anything else.

I've still got a free "Pro" account that I've had for some years because I'm a BT Broadband customer. (BT used to have a partnership with Yahoo when Yahoo owned Flickr.)
There's no reason for me to still get this, but they haven't taken it away yet and I can't "upgrade to Pro" because I'm already a Pro.
I await developments...

A word of warning to those who want to ditch the Yahoo account login procedure. Don't.
I wanted to do this and sent a mail to Flickr asking how. They sent me instructions that failed. My account, in their terms, hung in limbo. I could not log in but could still see it.
They sent me different instructions and that now means that I have lost my account totally.
All I can see is a pseudo home page with my name on it. All my followers have gone and the only person I am following is SWMBO. Why just her I've no idea. All my groups have gone. No statistics nothing. The only way I can see my account is as a follower of my wife's account.
My Pro status has vanished.

Flickr have no idea what has happened or how to correct it. TBH I get the impression that they don't really care that much.

A word of warning to those who want to ditch the Yahoo account login procedure. Don't.
I wanted to do this and sent a mail to Flickr asking how. They sent me instructions that failed. My account, in their terms, hung in limbo. I could not log in but could still see it.
They sent me different instructions and that now means that I have lost my account totally.
All I can see is a pseudo home page with my name on it. All my followers have gone and the only person I am following is SWMBO. Why just her I've no idea. All my groups have gone. No statistics nothing. The only way I can see my account is as a follower of my wife's account.
My Pro status has vanished.

Flickr have no idea what has happened or how to correct it. TBH I get the impression that they don't really care that much.

Not good ... I didn't realise they had rolled that feature out yet.

Not good ... I didn't realise they had rolled that feature out yet.
Well it looks like it isn't ready for use, but in that case why have three different "helpers" been telling me how to do it? I've no idea what happens next. It's all gone very quiet but I suppose they are on West Coast America time.
No idea when or if I'll have my account back or how to retrieve all the lost contacts, followers and groups.

Well it looks like it isn't ready for use, but in that case why have three different "helpers" been telling me how to do it? I've no idea what happens next. It's all gone very quiet but I suppose they are on West Coast America time.
No idea when or if I'll have my account back or how to retrieve all the lost contacts, followers and groups.
Hope it works out ... sure they will resolve it in time.

I see the 15% off for upgrade to Pro is still available until 15th January.

It took them a few weeks to get back to me and help get mine up and running again.

Anyone know what these two new (Dec 17, 2018) TOS clauses mean?

This one does not appear to be directed towards any specific user/plan... it's just under the general "user content" heading.
"From time to time, SmugMug may limit the amount of User Content, including your photographs, stored via the Site."

This one seems to indicate some plan for monetizing user submissions? I'm not aware of any current sales of this type...
"If you purchase photo prints or other physical medium Products (i.e., photo books or other photo merchandise)"

This (minor) change is quite nice to see.
"You retain all intellectual property rights in and to any User Content you post, upload or otherwise make available through the Services, including the copyright in and to your photos and videos. SmugMug does not claim any ownership, right, title or interest in and to your User Content."

Anyone know what these two new (Dec 17, 2018) TOS clauses mean?

This one does not appear to be directed towards any specific user/plan... it's just under the general "user content" heading.
"From time to time, SmugMug may limit the amount of User Content, including your photographs, stored via the Site."

As with most other 'unlimited' suppliers ... 'our unlimited plan does not mean that you can have unlimited'.
No idea on the other.

I've got the best part of my account restored. All has now been resurrected, and it seems that somewhere along the way a dummy account was created for me. Nope, I've no idea either.
Only thing that hasn't been restored is the list of other members who I follow - apart from SWMBO (why?), and I get the impression that has gone for good. Can't immediately remember who I was following; just hope I don't upset anyone by not talking to them:mad:
Eighteen e-mails so far each way, and counting!!!
My advice would be to live with the Yahoo log in for a while longer.

Today it seems to be a "Bad, bad panda" day. Can't get anything except that message for hours so far.

Yes, why would i sign upto this with all the bad panda stuff lately, now the warning message is red saying your photos will be deleted soon, so when they do delete them, why on earth would i sign upto them then?

Has been Feb 5th all the time.

Back