Hmm, time to dump flickr and finally build my own website?

As a thought are there any plans to update the image loader on TP as we have a new forum. Another forum that I frequent allows you to upload 2 images per post regardless of size, it then converts it to 1600. It also allows control over any sharpening that is applied as a result of this. I know for my own purposes the only reason that I have Flickr is to share photos on forums. For backups I have adobe cloud, backblaze and Photos for final jpegs

I would prefer to process the image myself, even if there is a size limit than have some piece of software on a web server do it for me, at least then I get some choice about the outcome. Also web hosts charge for bandwidth so uploading large files costs more to host even of the stored file is compressed after upload.

I would prefer to process the image myself, even if there is a size limit than have some piece of software on a web server do it for me, at least then I get some choice about the outcome. Also web hosts charge for bandwidth so uploading large files costs more to host even of the stored file is compressed after upload.
The site in question gives you the option, if you upload at 1600, then no conversion takes place and it is left as is

Yes, that was the final straw. Previous to that was also contacting people privately, via PM and eventually skype, to help them.
After awhile he would send them payment details of how to pay using PP etc. to continue / finish his "Tuition" Almost to the point of harassment.
He was warned about it, denied it, when asked directly.
Although by this time,"we" already had the proof.

Previous to that there had also been a few misdemeanors, where he was again contacted privately, and asked to refrain,
giving him the benefit of the doubt, rather than a short holiday due to the language "barrier" which he always claimed in defence.
But reading many of his posts, there was nothing wrong with his English, He even started a thread about the anomalies of the English language.
"We" Also suspected that there was more than one person posting on that account, but couldn't totally prove it, save the different posting styles, they were a bit of a hint.
He often advised me via PM how to improve my PP skills, he never asked me for any payment.

He often advised me via PM how to improve my PP skills, he never asked me for any payment.
It was often over skype that he asked for payment, no trace on TP that way.

It takes all sorts I suppose...

Last edited:
Did you mean KodiakQC/Daniel? He was Canadian (and what passed for French there. ;) ).

He just said what he thought, and assumed everyone was grown up enough to cope with it - unfortunate since he thought with non-English sensibilities and understanding. I don't think he ever really understood why people were offended, since he never intended any harm, often failing to see the line behind him that he'd crossed. I liked him, but understand why some did not.

yes...i must take your point here....he didnt really cause me any grief and was happy to try to continue in a post with him...after i had had a good think about a reply....i asked since he seemed to be one of a small group which i was in who had converse with him...and the other inputs
?

He was banned because he pulled all his images in a paddy, not because he got up a few peoples noses. If you could get banned for that, there'd be few people left on here.
what does that mean old chap...if you would.?

All the images he posted on here he withdrew leaving blanks in all his image posts.
thanks...i seem to remember something along those lines.."under the bridge" i say
lets move on....more photos Steve, please!!
this winter loads of mine have past sell buy date but i am hoping there are new members here to glory in my mistakes...!!!...low resolution badly sharpened oldies
cheersg
geof

Last edited:
A German hosting site.
But flickr isn't a hosting site, so it's something completely different.
Beside that, switching the language hasn't much effect there. So you have to understand German, if you like to use it. ;)

But flickr isn't a hosting site, so it's something completely different.
Beside that, switching the language hasn't much effect there. So you have to understand German, if you like to use it. ;)

Many of us use Flickr PURELY for hosting - it was the sole reason I opened an account after photobucket stopped being useful. Yes, it also tried to be a community, but that doesn't really work very well, with most of the groups being either inactive other than for promoting images or even being completely abandoned (i.e. attic photography group last image posted 2012). Guess it could also be a microstock site, sorta.

Abload do have some pages in English, and images don't care where servers are located. But I agree that if you want flickr for more than hosting the it's not a substitute.

Last edited:
But I agree that if you want flickr for more than hosting the it's not a substitute.
That's what I meant. :)

I've noticed, that I have already an account there, with which I uploaded all the photos from a single journey in 2014 and the pictures are still there, completely forgotten. :)
That"s a link to one of them (Simple BB-code copied from there):

Last edited:
Many of us use Flickr PURELY for hosting - it was the sole reason I opened an account after photobucket stopped being useful. Yes, it also tried to be a community, but that doesn't really work very well, with most of the groups being either inactive other than for promoting images or even being completely abandoned (i.e. attic photography group last image posted 2012). Guess it could also be a microstock site, sorta.

Abload do have some pages in English, and images don't care where servers are located. But I agree that if you want flickr for more than hosting the it's not a substitute.
Flickr was a community and a bloody good one to till that horrible cow Marisa Meyer took control and changed everything , a lot of peeps that stuck with it through thick and thin though are still on there . Call it a solid backbone if you like and I have noticed since the PRO account changes that it’s starting to grow again . It might not suit everyone but then again what does... Facebook used to be useful in certain instances to but I now find its splitting into more and more splinter groups which are useless unless you sign up to that closed group I.e north west bird sightings , goes to Manchester sightings to Stockport sightings to coronation street sightings eventually ending up as our front gate sightings group .

How many of you have paid up by now? I haven't yet, still pondering, waiting to see will Flickr die a tragic death finally! I will miss it as the easy option, it's the only one I ever really got on with. But, it hasn't been good in a while, the community side of it kind of died off with the emergence and popularity of IG and others, was a time I chatted more on there than on forums or FB. I've re-visited my old 500px page, but it feels bare and a bit soulless compared to Flickr. And they want paying too ... which makes me wonder why are we so mad at Flickr for doing same?

I haven't as usually Im vey black and white once ive made a decision on something like this, though I did wonder if I would be swayed but to be honest Ive not missed it. However I am in a bit of a photography slump currently so if that changes who knows. ?

Same here, not really shot anything of artistic significance in months, just been snap shooting family stuff which I never put on Flickr either way. I go through this phase at least once a year though, usually come swinging out the other end buying some new gear and promising this will be the one! This year I will make it happen! then I go have a lie down :sleep::ROFLMAO:

Flickr for me is a place where you build your own community. To maintain a given community elsewhere, members would have to decamp en masse. Which isn't likely to happen, thus any given community would tend to disintegrate.

As it is, community there can and does form across paid and free members regardless.

But it's also true that nothing lasts for ever and each of us is less than a speck in the universe, so what ho!

The problem I see is what SmugMug are trying to restore is already lost. The community went ages ago and the majority of stuff is spam requests to add to another group no one will look at and no constructive comments other than spambot "wow" stuff similar to Instagram. Other than that it's a huge pile of HDR in my photostream of endlessly the same stuff that I'm not interested in.

Cutting back to 1000 to bring it back to what it used to be to encourage pro subs and stop it becoming a storage dumping ground is all fine, but the social side is gone. Social networks took that over. To be honest Instagram is where I go to socially share photos, even if they are horrendously messed up with their scaling (which for some reason doesn't affect iOS so much but does on Android), but then everyone is viewing them on a tiny screen anyway.

I've been trying to trim down 3000 or so down to 1000 by going through every one and chucking out my photos that aren't really of interest, but it's taking way too long. I may just delete my account for delete all the content. I have no interest in paying up given the lack of community and I don't need the storage (have OneDrive for that). I do have a handful of photos which have decent number of views and a few that were in Explore that maybe I'd keep. Though they've restricted filtering your photos so can't easily list the most viewed etc. Still, I don't really see much point to Flickr now. I suspect SmugMug will merge it into their own offerings and drop the brand at some point. Despite what they might say, they are just after the potential subscribers from the pro users.

I suppose I was using Flickr partly for the community side and partly to create albums to share around friends and family. The latter I can do with OneDrive anyway.

Anyone else finding that when they go to delete a bunch of images you're seeing the 'Bad Panda' screen way more than often? It's almost as if they're trying hard to make the process more infuriating!

Anyone else finding that when they go to delete a bunch of images
They didn't delete anything until now:

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157676293604137/ said:
We’ve heard from many of you with free Flickr accounts that you’d like more time to decide where to keep your photos and videos exceeding 1,000. We care about your photos, so we’re extending the timeline to March 12, 2019. That gives you another month to make a decision on a home for your photos. Upgrading to Flickr Pro gives you unlimited storage and benefits like ad-free browsing, advanced photo stats, and more. Or if you choose, you can download all of your photos and videos to a computer.

On March 12, 2019, photos and videos over the 1,000 limit on free accounts will be at risk for deletion. Photos and videos will be deleted from oldest to newest by upload date. Items that had Creative Commons or other free-license types prior to November 1, 2018, will not be deleted, as we explained here.

From the link above said:
Facebook is a pain in the bum. If I try to upload 100 or more photos, it asks if I am a robot and which of the following images has a tiger in it.

I guess the most pain was finding the image with the tiger. :D
Why the hell, would someone load that many pictures at once up to facebook? Backup? How funny. :D

I am an infrequent member here, but do like the forums. I've been on Flickr as a Free account member for sometime and this year signed up for Pro to financially support what I believe is SmugMug's rescue of Flickr as opposed to Verizon's wish to shutter it. But, I am curious about anyone's experience with an alternative. I'm a free member of Ipernity and have found it a pretty quiet, lifeless place recently. The most lively place I have found and where I am a paid member is ePhotozine, a UK based site. I enjoy that site a great deal. To recommend it it has active photo posting, a lively forum, ongoing equipment and camera reviews, a photography news department, etc. And at just $17.00 per year for membership it seems to be a bargain. Has anyone else, here, had any experience with ePhotozine?

I am an infrequent member here, but do like the forums. I've been on Flickr as a Free account member for sometime and this year signed up for Pro to financially support what I believe is SmugMug's rescue of Flickr as opposed to Verizon's wish to shutter it. But, I am curious about anyone's experience with an alternative. I'm a free member of Ipernity and have found it a pretty quiet, lifeless place recently. The most lively place I have found and where I am a paid member is ePhotozine, a UK based site. I enjoy that site a great deal. To recommend it it has active photo posting, a lively forum, ongoing equipment and camera reviews, a photography news department, etc. And at just $17.00 per year for membership it seems to be a bargain. Has anyone else, here, had any experience with ePhotozine?

That place is baron, been a free member on there for years, not a hope in hell I'd pay for it. Look into any of the specific categories and last post is from late last year in most of them

That place is baron, been a free member on there for years, not a hope in hell I'd pay for it. Look into any of the specific categories and last post is from late last year in most of them
If you go to the site (you don't have to be a member or sign-in) and click the 'forums' button, then click the 'forums' button in the drop down you will get a list of recent activity on the site. You will be surprised how wrong you are about how 'dead' a place it is. There is a lot going on there throughout the site. Not just in the forums. The site was considerably revamped last year. I find it to be a very vibrant and active site.

If you go to the site (you don't have to be a member or sign-in) and click the 'forums' button, then click the 'forums' button in the drop down you will get a list of recent activity on the site. You will be surprised how wrong you are about how 'dead' a place it is. There is a lot going on there throughout the site. Not just in the forums. The site was considerably revamped last year. I find it to be a very vibrant and active site.

I did just that, and I'm not very surprised [I joined there around the same time I joined here, I know my way around their forum] .... sure, it shows all of the threads with some activity over the past few days - But click into one of those threads and you may well find it was 1-2 posts over the past week, hardly thriving. There's random threads on here that get more action in a few hours than the whole ephotozine forum does in a week. If you enjoy it - great! But I gave up on them long time back, their reviews were always a bit iffy too I found.

Last edited:

A couple of years back - the forum seemed almost dead at the time.

;)

Personally, I have found most photography sites since maybe around 2011 or so to be gradually fading in terms of energy and activity. No one site in particular dominates as Flickr did before. So, my 'strategy' has been to include more than one or two sites in my online photography 'experience'. As I've mentioned ePhotozine revamped last year. SmugMug is trying to revitalize Flickr. Ipernity is now member owned and operated. Google + is being shuttered. Time will tell what online photography will look like. But, for now, I've cast a wide net rather than put all my 'eggs in one basket'.

I've always used flickr for backup and for sharing pics of the kids with family- but I've just bought Lightroom which seems to have the same functionality? Can I dump Flickr?!?

And now even the mighty faceberk has having a glitch night , can’t post ,can’t upload pics and it’s global to

I binned my Flickr a few weeks ago, I've got a fb page and dabble in a bit on IG, but wanting to something better to view my images at their full size. Have been looking at either a word press site or using the portfolio feature that comes with my adobe subscription.

We are running out of places to go.

We still have the real world. It's time we print it and try to exhibit the work somewhere. Social media is certainly headed to the wrong direction.

Flickr feels dead

Curious as to why it feels dead to you? Seems like the opposite to me: it's on the mend IMHO. Liking it quite a bit at the moment actually. Seems like the groups I'm in are not getting dumps of s***ty snapshots like they used to until last year and I'm having nice conversations with other people in the groups every time a new photo is up.

Last edited:
Curious as to why it feel dead to you? Seems like the opposite to me...

I get zero interactions. Admittedly it’s been a while since I’ve been on there (because of that reason) but I may well revisit in a couple of months when all 700 s***ty photos of someone’s dog disappears from their album and I don’t have to see them.

You’ve said some valid stuff in your case so I’ll remain open minded about it.

Instagram gets me a lot of interactions, but then half of those are robots, and as I mentioned the quality is terrible aside from viewing on a mobile screen.

Back