Hmm, time to dump flickr and finally build my own website?

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
IG just hits me with advertising followers every time I log in, can't get along with that platform at all. I joined it when it came out first and upload the odd photo every 4-5mths or so at best, yet I still get new followers - who almost always turn out to be some s***ty account leeching on to people to advertise for them. Give me Flickr over any of these crap-apps any day. Yes, you may have to pay to get the full benefit, but that was the case a few years back too when a pro account was about $30. It's a bit more now but so is LR - I remember buying the full versions of that for £70, now it's a tenner a month, bit of a hike there.

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I'm surprised a successor to Flickr hasn't already come along that does what it does, but better, and with more offered. It seems a little outdated by today's standards.

Instagram is still great, but I feel like its uses/target audience are different.

Last edited:
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I've been messing around with NextCloud at home (open source Dropbox clone). I like the idea of hosting image backups on it and linking to them from a website.
It appears to have a gallery plugin.

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
That's funny, I find it to be a vital interchange. But you have to put a bit of effort in. Like the rest of life, it's not a free lunch, but that's reasonable.
To do what? Could you be less vague?
Same, I'm still Admin on groups on Flickr for cameras I no longer even use, but still answering questions and removing hit-and-run images that don't belong from the pools. I probably learned more about photography on there over the past decade than I've done anywhere else, inc here. It was far better back when I started on there , much more discussion and general involvement, but all of that is still present if you look for it. I think Flickr is just too much for the lazy, the ones who simply want to drop images and get 'likes' [favorites on Flickr]

As for nowhere else to go ... I'd say my images get viewed and commented on way more on FB than anywhere else, much as I don't get along with the platform in general it is where I'll get the most attention without question.

Edit My Images
Yes
If you want to show off your own work and learn from what others are doing, I don't know a better place at the moment, no doubt about it.

Name
Phil Maddocks
Edit My Images
No
I use Instagram exclusively (haven't used Flickr before) and can't say I agree with the belief you have to pay to get any where with it. As with any social media, you get out of it what you put into it. Posting images regularly aside (which should be common sense - at the bare minimum 1 new image a week), you need to be engaging with your audience as well. That doesn't mean answering questions to comments you get on your own work, it means liking and adding comments to other people's photos as well as engaging with your audience through Instagram stories.

I think too many people may expect to upload quality photos and have a flood of followers/likes/comments by doing nothing else. It doesn't work like that.

Last edited:
Edit My Images
Yes
Sure, you have to put some work into that. But I'm interested in what others do, so I watch the work of the people I "follow" and I only favor what I really like and not in return for receiving attention.
And I don't understand people who work with scripts and favor what they can do to get as many favorites of their own photos as possible. It's all just deception. I simply block these accounts.