HOLGA tastic... Show us your TOY CAMERA pics...:-)

Crazy quad exposure.. , people standing still on phone etc.., while rest of passengers rush through the station
holga1.jpg

Okay - had another go...

Tweaked version

Yup - more the BY-type we've come to expect, since my soft comment was indeed relating to the processing, you got much more mid-range greys in the first - unlike you at all!

Yup - more the BY-type we've come to expect, since my soft comment was indeed relating to the processing, you got much more mid-range greys in the first - unlike you at all!

Thanks Arthur - it definitely looked better to me in the second version - just a tad more contrasty, and a bit deeper into the blacks. Last 3 rolls of film i've posted something from have all been of the lower grain type, and i've been trying to keep the grain low with the processing. Seems like if I work this way, i'll have to reconcile myself to a little more dodge and burn action to get my favoured results. :shrug:

The original lighthouse shot was really minimal processing, as I said, I just wanted to enter a picture as close to "straight out of the camera" as possible, as a contrast to the multiple shot HDR from the month before.
Just hope that I get something I like for this months entry, as currently i'm having a bit of a :bang::bang::bang:

I've just bought a Diana+ Edelweiss and am now realising I should have done a lot more research beforehand...
Not uncommon - it's a different field, and we've all gone through the research stage... Hold on tight, lets see how this goes...
Basically, I'm getting the Diana, a colour 120 film, and a B+W 120 film, and I'm looking for the cheapest possible method (long-term) of getting the images, whether physical or digital.
For a moderate number of films, or to try things out, then I'd recommend a develop and scan to cd service rather than going straight into DIY processing.

My standard recommendation for 120 processing is Peak Imaging. Their "Archive 120" service is 14.95 a roll for any type of film - C41, E6 or Black and White. For this they process the film and scan it direct to a CD at a size that'll happily print to 10"x10". They return your Neg's and a CD in a couple of days of reciept usually, and are a pretty high quality. Check their Downloads section - they have a order form and prepaid postal labels to send the films to them there.

For the long term, then you're looking at processing the films yourself, and scanning them into the computer for digital, or purchasing a entire wet-printing setup for analogue output. Either of those subjects would be the topic of an entire thread in itself...

I know there are scanners for scanning medium format film, but does the film have to be developed first? If so, how?

Yep - it'll definitely need to be developed first. For black and white, have a look at this pdf file. It'll explain the process involved. C41 colour (colour neg. chemistry) is a similar process with a few extra steps and done faster and at higher temperature, making it more involved. If you're looking for consistant colour output, go to a lab. If you're willing to experiment, then try a few rolls of black and white first, until it becomes second nature, then try colour. E6 colour (slide chemistry) is even more fun, a little more temperature critical than C41, more stages (depending on the kit of chemicals you buy) but you get lovely slides right out of the tank (y)

Again, when you've run a couple of films via the labs, and decide it's for you, post another question and we'll run a thread on it... if we manage to agree, maybe it'll be worth sticky-ing and turning into a proper tutorial...

In terms of development, how do you end up with a finished print?

You either scan the negatives/slides produced in the previous stage into your computer with a dedicated transmissive media scanner OR you get someone to scan it for you OR you actually produce a "wet" print from the negatives. Again Ilford have a really handy .pdf file that explains the process (for B&W). Colour is far more involved, and again difficult to get colours correct with.

I am new to the world of film and thoroughly distressed about how much this might end up costing me! Sorry if the questions seem obvious, all help much appreciated :)

Simple answer is around £15 a roll from peak imaging, other companies are available, but I can't honestly recommend them as i've never used them... I think one or two people on here use Club 35 which I believe are cheaper.
With the unpredictable nature of Holgas etc, I personally would shy away from getting prints of every shot, instead just get a dev and scan service, check them on the computer, then print the ones you actually like - or aren't blank / left the lens cap on / forgot to wind on and blew out the entire frame... etc. etc. :LOL:

Can't thank you enough, you've cleared up a lot of my confusion/worries. I will definitely go the Peak Imaging route until I'm happy with the kind of images I'm getting, then I've got those links to look through and consider my options.

Really appreciate the detail : )

Can't thank you enough, you've cleared up a lot of my confusion/worries. I will definitely go the Peak Imaging route until I'm happy with the kind of images I'm getting, then I've got those links to look through and consider my options.

Really appreciate the detail : )

No worries - if you've any other queries, just post up a question in F&C and someone will be along to solve them... We've all been there - I used to develop and print my own stuff back at school more years ago than I choose to remember, then pretty much stopped until maybe a year or so ago - since then i've gone from dev'ing my own B&W, up to doing C41, E6, cross processing the colour stuff each way and now have a dirty great scanner on the end of my desk too :LOL: I think it's addictive to be honest.

1 No Hat, No Boots, No Job!
4811363683_d205a00a16.jpg

2 A Bridge Too Far
4811970440_733c08dcbc.jpg

3 Bus Stop
4811357053_9f739e5579.jpg

4 Abandoned Boat
4811976752_cb44027e7a.jpg

The wonderful Clack
4412585547_4cefbd8f5e_t.jpg

Nick - for a plastic toy camera, that clack has a fantastic lens on it... every time you post something, I find myself being drawn to purchasing one :)

Loving the Hat and Boots shot and the Abandoned Boat (y)

Holga + Efke ir820 + Hoya r72 filter, stand developed in Rodinal 1+100 for 2 hrs.

4728116692_e8f634f94c_b.jpg

I gave mine to my daughter who is 15 and these Holgas are quite the popular cam in high school these days.

:eek: ...but you haven't had it that long Javier... :shrug:

Too complex for you was it... :naughty:

Let's see some of your girl's stuff soon though hey... :thinking:

:p

Nick - for a plastic toy camera, that clack has a fantastic lens on it... every time you post something, I find myself being drawn to purchasing one :)

Loving the Hat and Boots shot and the Abandoned Boat (y)

Thanks BigYin, it does produce surprisingly good shots.

here's a few from the even older Agfa Box

a quickr pickr post

Holga + Efke ir820 + Hoya r72 filter, stand developed in Rodinal 1+100 for 2 hrs.

4728116692_e8f634f94c_b.jpg

Thats one of the most interesting IR shots I've seen, very cool ethereal quality to it (y)

Thats one of the most interesting IR shots I've seen, very cool ethereal quality to it (y)

No it's not, the next one's the most interesting :LOL: Two superb shots, proper *works* of art not a bucket of electrons!

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. Here's a few of the shots that I cracked off after I bought the Holga in April...

dia_0724-1.jpg

---_0749-1.jpg

---_0745-1.jpg

oh, you've done it now, haven't you... Now I'm going to have to dig the Holga's back out.... ;)

cool thread ! it should fit in well with my 52/52.

Another reason for some kind of sticky index or something .... I didn't know this thread existed, and it's so cool !

Not used the Holga so much recently since getting the D700, but here are a few of my faves:

1) Casa Batllo, Barcelona
4749479771_09a8380594_z.jpg

2) Barcelona Beach
4714902563_b7a6126b65_z.jpg

3) Hinkley Point
4545706291_05776f030a_z.jpg

4) Eden Project
3647368704_b0fba2aa32_z.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Javier, I've a couple of rolls of C-41 to process which I've taken over the last week or so, and seeing as it's raining here today, It looks like I'll be looking through another bunch of shots - so maybe a few more coming up.

Hopefully, they'll dry a little flatter than the B&W and scan without all the shadow artifacts around the edge :shrug:

Another few from the Pinhole Holga up here...

as a taster... here's the obligatory "Holga Happy Accident" shot...

Reala100_2011-01-30_003a.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Purple streak is a lady on horseback who rode into frame just as I was pressing the cable release and carried on moving for the entire 12 elephants :bonk:

Good job the elepahants didn't spook the horse..

Back