HOLGA tastic... Show us your TOY CAMERA pics...:-)

DSC_0092.jpg

A couple of rolls of out of date Velvia, a badly made camera with a plastic lens... nothing can possibly go wrong! :eek:

DSC_0092.jpg

A couple of rolls of out of date Velvia, a badly made camera with a plastic lens... nothing can possibly go wrong! :eek:

:eek:

I would send that one straight back Carlos... :cautious: ...seriously it's got some bloody horrible grey tape stuff holding it together... :naughty:

;)

:p

Got a Lensbaby today!
I've been looking at the lensbaby videos over at B&H and I really want one now! I like the Composer Double Glass + Single Glass Opt. + Pinhole/Zoneplate with Macro and Soft Focus. Can't afford it all right now though.

What combo did you get? Are you having fun?

It's excellent... once you learn how to use the stops to help compose. It's a Canon fit so sits on the Elan mostly. It has taken some weird images which I love it for - and I like the holga-ness of it too. I have the standard model with the f/stop kit and rubber keeper...

Here's another... this from the 10D (they won't know... )

IMG_0012-messed.jpg

Arthur

Here's one to get this thread back on the front page...

Holga 120WPC, Kodak Ektar 100, Home Developed in Tetenal C41 kit, scanned on Canoscan 8800F/Silverfast SE

There Might be another couple of shots in my Flickr, but I don't want to post 'em just yet, as I may be relying on one of them for this months competition ;)

Okay - maybe another couple...

A Vertical Panorama...

and a couple from my day out on Thursday...

Thanks - the 120WPC is a bit of an unwieldy beast to be honest - there's no viewfinder to speak of, just a couple of angle of view marks on the top of the camera. That's fine for alignment of the shot, but getting top to bottom framing is a bit tricky... I might have to see if I can come up with something before world pinhole day...

I'm looking to get a Holga 135 and I was wondering what would be the best tips for a starter? I've never done anything with film so I'm none the wiser when it comes to developing. How much would it cost to do it at home? What equipment would I need? Is it more cost effective (and simpler) to just send it to Boots to get it developed? What sort of film do people recommend? Sorry for all the questions, but this is quite a leap for me :LOL:.

black and white needs maybe £30 worth of chemicals and probably the same again in kit... see here for rough idea...

C41 film - either normal colour or black and white (XP2+,Fuji 400CN, Kodak T400CN) can be developed at pretty much any minilab. I've actually had pretty good results from the Local ASDA 1 hour minilab, they do a develop,print(optional) and scan to CD service for not much money (surprisingly for a nationwide co. the price seems to vary from shop to shop)

As for film - well this colour film is cheap, and comes recommended - for B&W, just search for the names above, or for proper develop it yourself B&W, I like FP4+, but others will no doubt have suggestions....

A couple of shots from a roll of Cross Processed Fuji Provia 100F, with the Holga

Obligatory Lensflare Shot :)

And the steepest Canal you've ever seen :LOL:

All Comments Welcome:)

Love the hidden house in the back ground. There is also something very surreal about the image that I find very attractive. (y)

By the way. What caused the vignette in the other images?

Thanks - it's quite a strange village, near where I live, there's only 15 houses or so, but they're all great big old mansions, all built around a really large village green. They were built mainly around 18th century for the wealthy merchants of the local town.

The vignettes are a strange one, to be honest. With normal print film, there's a little drop off to the edges of frame - but of course this is slide film, and I suppose if it drops off maybe a stop and a half, that's enough to leave the corners pretty dark. The house shot came out without vignettes, mainly because it was shot a week or so later, in different light, and I'd forgotten what I'd loaded, assumed Velvia 50, and over-exposed the last half of the roll. Which must have taken care of the Vignetting :shrug:

Hey - it's a Holga - there are supposed to be happy accidents :LOL:

One from the Widescreen Pinhole Holga...

Strangely, It doesn't seem to suffer with vignetting, just the usual light fall-off that very wide pinhole images sometimes get (y)

This shot is really cool, you seem to be really getting the hang of the WPC.

Really have to get my arse back in gear and help this thread out a bit now my exams are over. Ive got about 25 films sitting to be developed but Ive finally got a scanner now.

Also got a nice surprise a few days ago when I found out one of my pictures had been put on Holgablog, dont know if you guys know about it but its a pretty cool website thats worth having a quick look at.

This shot is really cool, you seem to be really getting the hang of the WPC.

Kind of ashamed to say this after your generous comment, but that was the second frame I shot with the camera :LOL:

Really have to get my arse back in gear and help this thread out a bit now my exams are over. Ive got about 25 films sitting to be developed but Ive finally got a scanner now.

They soon mount up don't they - especially with the WPC - 6 frames if you're lucky (which I'm invariably not!)

Also got a nice surprise a few days ago when I found out one of my pictures had been put on Holgablog, dont know if you guys know about it but its a pretty cool website thats worth having a quick look at.

Think I've spotted it, HERE ?

Couple of corkers there Mark... (y)

And you weren't kidding... :eek: ... a great selection of super Holgas on Flickr... :clap: ...lovely locations too... :D

A couple more from the pinhole Holga...

and there's another one, but i've entered it into this months competition, so I can't post it anywhere else on TP until after the voting, but if you want a look it's here. Please don't copy it back into this thread though, as it's probably my only chance of shooting something to fit he topic this month and I don't want it disqualified

So these are my first attempts at using my Holga 135BC (and indeed my first attempts at film altogether):

Unfortunately I had to use my DSLR to get them onto my PC as I've no sodding clue as to how my scanner works...

I've only shot two rolls on my Holga (it's kicked my 50d out of my bag) due to the cost of processing it (£18 for devloping and C.D scans!) but I'm sure I'll delve back in soon enough ... after putting the correct frame mask in.

4660386533_f063c2c5f4.jpg

4660382697_27da1ceb64.jpg

4661003878_ae1efa1bb8.jpg

wowza, walker two and three are so sharp, they cant be from a holga, surely?

need to get one, my diana is softer than a big soft thing but i love the images it produces!

That last one is fantastic Dave... (y)

Makes me miss mine Green Holga... :shrug: ...lent it to a neighbours son who is starting out and wants ome different experiences... :D

That last one is fantastic Dave... (y)

Makes me miss mine Green Holga... :shrug: ...lent it to a neighbours son who is starting out and wants ome different experiences... :D

thanks, iv got more i need to scan, will get on them tomorrow when i have time.

is that canary wharf? i could have spent the day shooting the buildings there!

Pity the Beatles weren't there that day :LOL:

Arthur

PS - yes, I know that was the EMI building but it looks a dead spit for it!

Here's the one from the competition, can actually post it now it's been voted on...

POTY-0510.jpg

8 elephants out of the pinhole - red filter over ilford delta 100, processed in ilfosol 3 1+15, Canoscan 8800F Silverfast SE, Yada Yada Yada....

Here's the one from the competition, can actually post it now it's been voted on...

8 elephants out of the pinhole - red filter over ilford delta 100, processed in ilfosol 3 1+15, Canoscan 8800F Silverfast SE, Yada Yada Yada....

Great shot, looks like you had the right number of elephants there.

I dunno... maybe another half? (you seem to have gone a bit soft lately... )

Excellent framing and atmosphere though BY (y)

I dunno... maybe another half? (you seem to have gone a bit soft lately... )

Excellent framing and atmosphere though BY (y)

Cheers Arthur...

I think it could maybe have done another half stop somewhere in the process - it would certainly benefit from a bit of dodge and burn in there... but after the digital panoramic shot from April, I really wanted to just submit something as close to straight out of the camera as I could.

As far as "going soft" - well - if you're talking focus.... It's a Holga Pinhole - that's how it looks - it's not as if there's anything to adjust (short of making a smaller pinhole for it of course).

If you mean the shot isn't as contrasty as my usual stuff, you're right - for the reasons above.

And if you mean it's not as grainy, well that's down to the film - this one was on Delta 100, and the last couple of rolls of B&W 35mm have been LegacyPro 100 which are pretty smooth films. Of course the last 35mm job was also me playing about with the f1.8 wide open, and pretty restricted DOF...

Might have to re-scan the lighthouse and have another play with it though... I've got a suitable space on the wall for a large print that may just be filled by that shot. Amazing that it got less than a third of the votes of the Ribblehead Rollercoaster but I like it far more... guess that's democracy in action :LOL:

wowza, walker two and three are so sharp, they cant be from a holga, surely?

need to get one, my diana is softer than a big soft thing but i love the images it produces!

Thats what I thought. I bought mine off some bloke in Hong Kong, so it might well be a replica. I'm not sure how I would tell.

I've just bought a Diana+ Edelweiss and am now realising I should have done a lot more research beforehand...

Basically, I'm getting the Diana, a colour 120 film, and a B+W 120 film, and I'm looking for the cheapest possible method (long-term) of getting the images, whether physical or digital.

I know there are scanners for scanning medium format film, but does the film have to be developed first? If so, how?

In terms of development, how do you end up with a finished print?

I am new to the world of film and thoroughly distressed about how much this might end up costing me! Sorry if the questions seem obvious, all help much appreciated : )

I've just bought a Diana+ Edelweiss and am now realising I should have done a lot more research beforehand...

Basically, I'm getting the Diana, a colour 120 film, and a B+W 120 film, and I'm looking for the cheapest possible method (long-term) of getting the images, whether physical or digital.

I know there are scanners for scanning medium format film, but does the film have to be developed first? If so, how?

In terms of development, how do you end up with a finished print?

I am new to the world of film and thoroughly distressed about how much this might end up costing me! Sorry if the questions seem obvious, all help much appreciated : )

The cheapest way of processing any black and white film including 120, is to buy a drum, developer and fix. You can pick the kit up from eBay secondhand pretty cheap and if you're smart the per-roll dev cost is very small, perhaps 30p a film. It's not complicated, have a look at Ilford's site and browse youtube.

Scanning 120 can be done on conventional flatbed scanners with care. If you want something smarter it'll cost, or you could join a local print and photography workshop or co-op and they'll provide the gear for a modest annual fee.

Back