HOLGA tastic... Show us your TOY CAMERA pics...:-)

Lol, the viewfinder really is rubbish as an aid to composition!

It's just there to ensure you point the camera in the rough direction of the shot - I realise that now. I suppose 30 years of SLR's has sort of spoiled me :LOL:

I like this image. I did not realize there was a possible view finder problem with these cams. Well, just more of the charm. I am just about finished with my first roll. :)

Thanks for the comment - I'm quite happy with it myself, considering! To be honest, the level of consistency that there is with Holgas could well mean that your camera aim's off 30 degrees the other way to mine :LOL: That's the thing, they're like fingerprints - no two are the same! I'm looking forward to see what you've made of yours - always enjoy your shots, but i'm interested in what spin the Holga will put on them (y)

Well that's an impressive first roll BY... (y) ... the first image (you've shown us anyway) is really exceptional imhgo... :clap: ...shows all the qualities of Holga shooting but has a quality feel to it too... :D

So what's wrong with showing us all the roll (except the black or grey first one depending how much light leaks you have... :LOL:) ...:shrug:

:p

Well that's an impressive first roll BY... (y) ... the first image (you've shown us anyway) is really exceptional imhgo... :clap: ...shows all the qualities of Holga shooting but has a quality feel to it too... :D

So what's wrong with showing us all the roll (except the black or grey first one depending how much light leaks you have... :LOL:) ...:shrug:

Cheers Ven - I'm pretty happy with them myself - Main reason i'd not posted any more was i'd managed to get the negs a bit dusty, and they needed a bit of spotting before posting. If anyone's interested, the full set are here (11 from 12 - left the lens cap on and shot the first one, then wound on before noticing - D'oh)

Well, I dropped of my first roll of film at the pro shop. I will see what I get. While there I picked up a second one. Turns out there is quite a following for these guys.
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/jgredline/lens%20test/IMGP0939.jpg

Nice paint job, be careful not to put it down if you're out in a forest some time :)

Well, I dropped of my first roll of film at the pro shop. I will see what I get. While there I picked up a second one. Turns out there is quite a following for these guys.
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/jgredline/lens%20test/IMGP0939.jpg

Hey... :cautious: ...that's nearly Green Javier... :eek:

So I'm very nearly envious... :D

So now you've just got to put it to work then m8... ;)

Cheers Ven - I'm pretty happy with them myself - Main reason i'd not posted any more was i'd managed to get the negs a bit dusty, and they needed a bit of spotting before posting. If anyone's interested, the full set are here (11 from 12 - left the lens cap on and shot the first one, then wound on before noticing - D'oh)

I really enjoyed going through all those BY... (y) ...a super series and not only do I love the whole Holga effect but I think the mono choice really brings out the best in it's peculiarities... :D

Hope you continue to enjoy the experience and share the results with us... ;)

I really enjoyed going through all those BY... (y) ...a super series and not only do I love the whole Holga effect but I think the mono choice really brings out the best in it's peculiarities... :D

Hope you continue to enjoy the experience and share the results with us... ;)

Can't attribute the BnW shots to anything more than having something like 20 rolls of FP4/HP5 in the fridge and all the chemicals for processing under the sink :LOL: Did miss the obligatory orange filter though - may be rummaging in the big bag of camera stuff for something to fudge a 58mm filter mount :LOL:

I also found 3-4 rolls of 120 Velvia and a couple of other E6 rolls in the fridge this morning, so I might have to try some colour as well :shrug:

Looks like i'm in for the long haul doesn't it :LOL: May as well get stuck into this shooting, don't seem to be doing too well with the POTY competition this year :shake:

Here I am cheating outrageously... but this is straight from the camera bar the darkening corners

IMG_0014-messed.jpg

Got a Lensbaby today!

Well - I had another try with the Holga yesterday. Thought I'd try the 6x4.5 film guide this time. Had a stroll around the local sculpture park, mainly as after falling off my bike, I'm unable to do anything particularly strenuous.

Here Goes...

1)

2)

3)

Rest of the set here

What did I learn from this experiment...

1. The framing problems I was having with square format are even harder when i'm guessing the edge-crop of the 6x4.5 mask.

2. I don't seem to be able to hold the camera level.

3. It is easy to forget to wind on the film and get an involuntary double exposure.

4. I still want to Jerry-Rig a filter holder.

5. I prefer the 6x6, despite the weapons grade vignetting

6. My knee is still not working properly, and I can barely walk today :(

Not a Holga but about as technically advanced, here are my first efforts with the Agfa Clack,
4412585547_4cefbd8f5e_t.jpg
the film was CHS Art 50 and Ilford Pan F, processed at home in Rodinal and scanned on a Coolscan.

4420178876_f67e5340f6.jpg

4420134422_a8487e2c62.jpg

4420170840_4c3a3e97ac.jpg

4419396631_72f6656e51.jpg

4420217340_3fd614aba5.jpg

That's a nice group Nick, 1 and 3 especially for me. (y) Love the fine grain - 1 and 3 just seem to have the edge in contrast to me. As the bloke who taught me to dev and print BnW 30+ years ago said "its Black and White, not Dark Grey and Mucky White!" :LOL:

The Clack may be on a similar level technologically to the Holga, but the lens quality appears to be in a different orbit! I'm still getting used to the lens quality (or lack of it!) on the 120GN - it's pretty much like having a soft focus and vignette filter permanently attached. Not complaining, as it's an interesting challenge to get images that will work with the lens rather than against it.

Having said that, and maybe i'm missing the point of the holga a little, but it seems a shame to have that great big negative, and only have maybe an APS-H bit of it which is capable of being sharp.

I do like the idea of a "pocketable MF camera" though - problem is I'd like Hassleblad quality as well - oh yes and the moon on a stick as well if it's not too much trouble :LOL:

Thanks BY, 1 & 3 both shot on CHS50 and the exposure is a bit hit and miss but I was quite impressed with the quality of the Clack.

From what I've read, and seen, I agree you may be missing the point of the Holga, I think the slightly 'fluffy' quality of the negs is supposed to be a positive, maybe shooting colour would create a more pleasing image. I'm going to try some some in the Clack as soon as the weather improves a little.

As for your desire for a pocketable MF I think we're back to the Folding thread again :)

Thanks BY, 1 & 3 both shot on CHS50 and the exposure is a bit hit and miss but I was quite impressed with the quality of the Clack.

From what I've read, and seen, I agree you may be missing the point of the Holga, I think the slightly 'fluffy' quality of the negs is supposed to be a positive, maybe shooting colour would create a more pleasing image. I'm going to try some some in the Clack as soon as the weather improves a little.

As for your desire for a pocketable MF I think we're back to the Folding thread again :)

I'm just having a few problems re-training my mind to cope with a camera that only has part of the image focussed properly, no matter what you do! Once I've learned the limitations of the hardware on BnW i'll probably go for a few shots on colour neg, but it's a bit dear to learn on compared to home dev'ed BnW.

I came to the same conclusion about a pocketable MF camera, and just popped for a Voigtlander Perkeo I about a hour ago - dunno if that's a (y) or a :eek: to be honest, but it looked clean and tidy, and hopefully with a proper lens. :naughty:

I'm trying to stay away from that 'dark' place for a while, it's costing me too much money :LOL: I've just checked out your latest bargain and it looks like a good one, look forward to seeing the results:)

Hi Folks. I finally got back my film from the Pro shop. I had them scan them to a CD, But I think I will try and scan some myself to see if there is a difference.

So here we are with this Holga and Ilford XP-2
Exactly as shot. only re sized in cs3

HolgawithIlfordXP-2.jpg

Here is my edited version. I cropped for composition, and slight curves adj for contrast.
Holga120n1.jpg

Liking the double exposure a lot :)

OK, I managed to finally get some of my Holga stuff scanned in, heres a few snaps from my crazy red camera!

Yup - that's def red! Loving the proper Mini :D

Well - as i've been unable to get out shooting for last couple of days, i've had to do something to pass the time. Back in post 169 I was moaning about not being able to fit my BnW filters to the Holga. Well - i've solved that one. Bought a 52-58mm step up ring from Fleabay, and after a bit of gentle fileing and a couple of dots of gel superglue, I've got a filter mount.

Better dig out a 58mm lens cap now :LOL:

Well - as i've been unable to get out shooting for last couple of days, i've had to do something to pass the time. Back in post 169 I was moaning about not being able to fit my BnW filters to the Holga. Well - i've solved that one. Bought a 52-58mm step up ring from Fleabay, and after a bit of gentle fileing and a couple of dots of gel superglue, I've got a filter mount.

Better dig out a 58mm lens cap now :LOL:

I was thinking of the lens cap myself. I was thinking to leave it on until the last possible second and above all point it as far away as possible from the sun.

I do hope that's not metal you've introduced to your Holga there BY... for shame if it is... :D

I was thinking of the lens cap myself. I was thinking to leave it on until the last possible second and above all point it as far away as possible from the sun.

I've just dug out a cheapo 58mm clip-on lens cap that has one of those little keeper cable loops on it. If you put the cap into position on the lens in the correct orientation, the loop is visible in the corner of the viewfinder - just enough to remind me to remove the cap before hitting the button :LOL:

I've just dug out a cheapo 58mm clip-on lens cap that has one of those little keeper cable loops on it. If you put the cap into position on the lens in the correct orientation, the loop is visible in the corner of the viewfinder - just enough to remind me to remove the cap before hitting the button :LOL:

I am laughing because the best shot I took with the holga was not there..Yep forgot to remove the lens cap and realized it on my way home that day.:D

I am laughing because the best shot I took with the holga was not there..Yep forgot to remove the lens cap and realized it on my way home that day.:D

First shot on the camera was the same for me! Wouldn't have been so bad but I just automatically pressed the shutter wound on, and walked away - i'm trying to get into the habit if looking at the lens after every shot now, just in case. At least with the non-interlocked shutter and wind, you can just take the cap off and re-shoot :)

think it's the only bit of metal outside of the shutter leaf and spring :LOL:

It's a slippery slope you know... pretty soon you'll be wanting glass on there as well :nono:

Yeah, but it's not real glass is it, not even see-through mostly :D

L@@K at what I spotted out in the wild ;-)
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/jgredline/lens%20test/k-7sigma10-20HWmarch981.jpg

Chihuahua, not that rare, we even get them over here ;)

finally got my film scanner!

4459742375_ecaf8b55bf.jpg

4460521918_a044a5efda.jpg

both taken on my green holga 120 cfn

What scanner did you get?

One from the Widescreen Pinhole Holga...

Strangely, It doesn't seem to suffer with vignetting, just the usual light fall-off that very wide pinhole images sometimes get (y)

I like that - works very well with the (either) East or West framing. I still have not taken the wide Coronet out yet, although today is a nice day so you never know :D

It looks a bit... well, a bit soft actually - at least it does coming from you?

I like that - works very well with the (either) East or West framing. I still have not taken the wide Coronet out yet, although today is a nice day so you never know :D

It looks a bit... well, a bit soft actually - at least it does coming from you?

Thanks Arthur - It was probably the one that I liked best out of the half dozen you get on a roll of 120! I can see this camera burning film like no tomorrow - or at least it would, if it wasn't such a special effect thing.

As for it looking soft - I scanned it at a lower res. than normal - 1200dpi, rather than my usual 3600/4800. I find if I go to the higher resolutions, I kind of go "above the grain size" if that makes sense - which when sharpened up after editing makes the image quite crisp. I can always resize down afterwards. However, with a 12x6 negative, and half a dozen other applications running last night, my computer was a bit slow, so - as it was a test roll, I went with a 1200dpi scan.

Back